R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree6Likes

Old 05-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #841
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sorry to hear that you had such a rough day. I think the MTX-4 CVD's are the right length, but I'm not sure how well they fit. It's something you need to try out.

The good, bad and ugly needs to come out. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I hope things go better for you next time.
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:04 AM   #842
Tech Initiate

mtx-4 cvd's wont work the bearing sizes are different .
Nitrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:12 AM   #843
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrogasm
mtx-4 cvd's wont work the bearing sizes are different .
Bummer. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:44 AM   #844
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

Race Report:

Starting with the stock setup, the car was good, but needed a little more rear traction for the track we were on yesterday. A little roll center adjustment and it was planted. The front developed a slight push getting into the corners on 42's, so I went to 40's in the front and stood the front shocks up as far as they would go. It was better, but not what I realy wanted. I then put softer front springs, 25lb ones, and WOW, it dove into and transited the corners like nothing I had ever driven before! The car was very smooth and consistant.

Another NT1 driver TQ'd and I qualified 4th after chucking the dog bone with a min left in the qualifier. After closer inspection of the dog bone, I recheck the track width and the car was just about at 200mm in the front so I took it to 198. After a few taps on the wall in practice before the mains, no more dog bone popping out. and the car settings stayed perfect.

The front bumper I found a little soft form my likeing, but proved to provide the protection needed. I will be replacing it with the harder one part #33 1221.

Overall, My opinion on the car is that It is AWSOME! I've been waiting for this car for over 2 years and it was worth the wait. Although the Mugen was a great car and I learned a lot with it, the NT1 out of the box handles better than my former car ever did.
Attached Thumbnails
Xray NT1-image002.jpg   Xray NT1-image007.jpg   Xray NT1-image008.jpg   Xray NT1-image004.jpg  

Last edited by rcfoolz; 05-07-2007 at 09:00 AM.
rcfoolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:54 AM   #845
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfoolz
I then put softer front springs, 25lb ones...
What brand springs did you use?

Quote:
... after chucking the dog bone with a min left in the qualifier.
This news of ejecting dog bones at 200mm is rather disappointing.

Quote:
After a few taps on the wall in practice before the mains, no more dog bone popping out. and the car settings stayed perfect.
Taps on the wall??!!!

Quote:
Overall, My opinion on the car is that It is AWSOME! I've been waiting for this car for over 2 years and it was worth the wait.
Good to hear that you're happy with the car.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:58 AM   #846
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrogasm
i hope mr hudy sees this and fixes these few things . the car will be great but xray fumbled the ball badly on the smallest and simplest of things.
honestly i dont think the bumper was a fumble it's more like a poor idea to sell more parts . because i cant think of any other reason an "Master Engineer" would include such worthless foam for a bumper.
think good and hard about this issue !
These issues seem pretty typical of Xray. I don't think they do it so you break more parts as much as they do it to sell you the "hop up" parts later on. I'm sure they're not complaining about all the spare parts they sell either though.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:02 AM   #847
Tech Elite

the 200mm front, and ejecting was partialy due to I didn't use the O-ring that came for the front, that was my fault for not taking it with me. I had made a last minute diff fluid change before I left in the morning and left them on my workbench.

Taps on the wall, ON PURPOSE, look at the nose of the car. Don't worry, they were under the same conditions that caused the bone to leave the first time. The car is much more durable than you think! Tested and Approved

One thing that I hated about the MTX4 was that you had variable wheel base ....the arms had so much slop in them that they slid back and forth after just a few light taps at least 1mm...

Front springs...umm...
Old 05-07-2007, 06:06 AM   #848
Tech Elite

Quote:
the 200mm front, and ejecting was partialy due to I didn't use the O-ring that came for the front, that was my fault for not taking it with me. I had made a last minute diff fluid change before I left in the morning and left them on my workbench.
Ah, that explains things.

Quote:
Front springs...umm...
Nuff said.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:17 AM   #849
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
front springs Nuff said.

They were________, as soon as the X-ray ones come out, they will be on the car.

Last edited by rcfoolz; 05-07-2007 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:42 AM   #850
Tech Adept

I have bought NT-1 today. Is there any build tips that I should be aware of or is this a classy car from Hudy/Xray factory? Stock diff oils???
vc05hdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:09 AM   #851
Tech Elite

The instruction manual is very good. Just follow it. Be carefull when it comes to the pivot ball nuts, make sure you have them lined up strait.
Also, the 80,000 diff fluid is for the front....My mystake, I did the 60,000 the first time. I used the adjustable shocks, but that is personal preference. The kit shows you to use the spacers for the fuel tank, but unless you are using a AAA pack, don't install them. Everything goes together very easily! Use the instruction manual, and have the tools listed, it will make everything go a lot faster.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:51 AM   #852
Tech Regular

I am laughing so damn hard, I just gotta make this post. I am normaly an 1/8th scale racer, and Im not the fastest guy by far. But I have out quallified the " Fool " twice in a row with my MTX3 at the same club track. What tickels me so, is that there is anyone out there that thinks the new car on the block is really any better then any other modern day car from any other manufacturer. The guy that TQed with an NT1 this week works hard the day before the race on his setup, before he had this car, he TQed twice in a row with a RRR car. There is a 720 right up in the mix there too. James man Im laugh'in with ya dude.
427 COBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:01 AM   #853
Tech Initiate

my kit had no o-rings for the front or rear and as the matter of fact my first kit didn't have shock springs either .

like i said no matter what i tried the dog bones still came out
even cutting various lengths of fuel tubing in place of o-rings

rcfoolz , what roll center change did you find worked . front or rear raise or lower ?
Nitrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:08 AM   #854
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 COBRA
I am laughing so damn hard, I just gotta make this post. I am normaly an 1/8th scale racer, and Im not the fastest guy by far. But I have out quallified the " Fool " twice in a row with my MTX3 at the same club track. What tickels me so, is that there is anyone out there that thinks the new car on the block is really any better then any other modern day car from any other manufacturer. The guy that TQed with an NT1 this week works hard the day before the race on his setup, before he had this car, he TQed twice in a row with a RRR car. There is a 720 right up in the mix there too. James man Im laugh'in with ya dude.
Thank you for making this post!! I have been stating this point every time a new car comes out and folks just ship from what they have been previously running. Most of these guys still don't realize that set-up and driving skill also factor in the equation of winning (or finishing high in races). I just ran a race in Jackson, MS this past Saturday, qualified with my MTX4 but ran my fastest times on the track in the main with my MTX3. But, I learned both cars and how to set them up to "my" driving skills. I have a teammate that has the skills and has a R40, 710, 720, FW05, and MTX4 and drives them equally superb (usually an A-main driver locally) due to his driving skills/ability. Most times, you have to ask him what car is he driving as he laps you a couple of times in a race. If you have the skills, it really doesn't matter what car you drive. Don't believe me, ask the top drivers around (Burch, Hara, Dumas, Atomic, etc). They seem to do well at big races (most times) no matter what car they are contracted to run.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:29 AM   #855
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 COBRA
Hey Jim, Me too.....I always have fun racing with you. Its hard to get by you, but it is fun when we run bumper to bumper. If I didn't live 3hours away, I too would love to have had a day to work on setting up the car before the first time on the track... . This club track has always produced very close racing and that is what makes it fun. You, Luke, and Joe are all excellent racers. I would have like it to not have rained, driving 320 miles for 4 tanks is a bit crazy isn't it. Thats why I'm laughing.

But all in all, with a car that is brand new and right out of the box without any changes, it was as fast as my last car after I had worked on it for 2 years!

Last edited by rcfoolz; 05-07-2007 at 08:47 AM.