R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree7Likes

Old 01-15-2014, 01:53 AM   #7096
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnRDPassion View Post
Are you oiling the second gear bearing? If you are doing that, stop doing it lol. What is happening is as it spins it gets oil in there creating really inconsistent shifting or not shifting at all. Also clean out the inside of the 2nd speed gear with rubbing a little rubbing alcohol on the 2nd gear ring to remove any access dirt that is on it first of all. I do the same to 2nd gear shoes as well. Also make sure your screws in the shoes are tightened the same amount. If they aren't tightened the same amount you will definitely get inconsistent shifts.
Yeah I had exactly same problem a few months ago LOL. But I cleaned the bearing like 1000 times and removed the oil as well. I thought the one way might have fried but it seems just fine.
And like I said, the shoe is brand new and I rechecked the balance between the screws many times. So I know it's not from it. I'll keep working on it and let you know the result.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:57 AM   #7097
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHH View Post
I know you already mentioned checking the clutch but when I have had similar issues it was the clutch nut sliding to less pre load because my engine was powerful and I did not thread lock the clutch nut.

If it shifts way too early make sure you have at least 0.20-0.30mm preload on the clutch spring collar relative to the clutch nut and that you use thread lock to keep it in place. When the pre-load is zero or less or close you will get early and inconsistent 2nd speed engagement no matter how you tighten the 2nd speed shoes.

Let he know if not clear. Worth a check and try.
Hm... Not sure if the preload is slipping because everytime I checked the clutch over time, it has been always the same and had the same depth. Maybe the clutch spring is done? But I don't understand why the spring might be done already since it's fairly new. I'll try to put new spring and update you. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:41 AM   #7098
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
Hm... Not sure if the preload is slipping because everytime I checked the clutch over time, it has been always the same and had the same depth. Maybe the clutch spring is done? But I don't understand why the spring might be done already since it's fairly new. I'll try to put new spring and update you. Thanks!
I know sometimes its hard to think that a brand new part used 1-3x is worn out. Clutch springs, I'd think would last pretty long but I started realizing that they don't.
I recently watched DJ apolaros clutch building video, it's a good one. He measures his spring and when the measurement is .3mm smaller he chucks it. If you think about it, depending on how much preload, that can be less than 5 runs
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #7099
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE SI View Post
I know sometimes its hard to think that a brand new part used 1-3x is worn out. Clutch springs, I'd think would last pretty long but I started realizing that they don't.
I recently watched DJ apolaros clutch building video, it's a good one. He measures his spring and when the measurement is .3mm smaller he chucks it. If you think about it, depending on how much preload, that can be less than 5 runs
So Ok I understand that. So do u think the spring might have caused the problem?? I'll try w the new spring anyway.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #7100
Tech Regular

Quote:
My NT1 has very inconsistent gear shifting. Sometimes it doesn't even shift or it shift way too early no matter how tight the 2nd gear shoe is. I checked the one way bearing, clutch and got a new shoe for the 2 speed and still same problem exists. I just re built the car and in the process of re building the engine(O.S. XZ). I just couldn't finish it today because the crankshaft bearing is jacked a bit so I have to get a new one. What else should I check??
1-contaminated shoes with oil is really hard to clean, rub them on a cloth and be sure no grease is showing after rubbing.
2- gap between the shoes and the second gear holder needs adjusting.
screw the scrubs to where the shoes grip the holder and then release both scrubscrews a half turn.
3- make sure the engine is tuned right with the right highrevs

4- get help from one of the guy`s
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #7101
Tech Master

Quote:
So Ok I understand that. So do u think the spring might have caused the problem?? I'll try w the new spring anyway.
Not sure. Wish I could help
Old 01-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #7102
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE SI View Post
Not sure. Wish I could help
Joe, could you post the link to dj vid about the spring.
can`t find it.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #7103
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by djiewie View Post
1-contaminated shoes with oil is really hard to clean, rub them on a cloth and be sure no grease is showing after rubbing.
- I'm absolutely certain that there's no remnant grease.

2- gap between the shoes and the second gear holder needs adjusting.
screw the scrubs to where the shoes grip the holder and then release both scrubscrews a half turn.
-I set it by the manual. And I tried to narrow the gap. Neither made any difference.

3- make sure the engine is tuned right with the right highrevs
- It may not be perfect but high enough to enter the 2nd gear.

4- get help from one of the guy`s
- Yeah I should probably harass one of the big boys.

I just rebuilt the engine, broke in again halfway, and I think the car's exactly same (( But not 100% sure since I couldn't finish breaking in (in the night, in the garage). I'll finish it and update this Sunday.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:11 AM   #7104
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default .

Is this the one you have been looking for.......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=foVAoXy8TbE#t=1004
favo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:56 AM   #7105
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
- Yeah I should probably harass one of the big boys.

I just rebuilt the engine, broke in again halfway, and I think the car's exactly same (( But not 100% sure since I couldn't finish breaking in (in the night, in the garage). I'll finish it and update this Sunday.
What type if engine are you running and at what temp. I know with my pico if i am at under 230 the car will not shift because it is not hitting the needed revs. When the engine is hitting 260/270 then it will shift.

Take a picture of the inside of your second gear and the clutch shoe and let's see if there is anything noticeable about it. Thanks!

Also your not judging whether or not the car is shifting based upon it sitting on a box and revving it are you?
OnRDPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #7106
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by djiewie View Post
Joe, could you post the link to dj vid about the spring.
can`t find it.
Its on the capricorn America website and you tube but I dont know how to post the link, sorry
Old 01-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #7107
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by favo View Post

Thats it
Old 01-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #7108
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by favo View Post

Thanks, real good vid of how to do it good (just like i do it). Learned how to check the pins and clutch plate.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #7109
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnRDPassion View Post
What type if engine are you running and at what temp. I know with my pico if i am at under 230 the car will not shift because it is not hitting the needed revs. When the engine is hitting 260/270 then it will shift.

Take a picture of the inside of your second gear and the clutch shoe and let's see if there is anything noticeable about it. Thanks!

Also your not judging whether or not the car is shifting based upon it sitting on a box and revving it are you?
It's O.S. XZ engine. Again I can't say 100% that it's having the same problem after I re built the engine yet cuz, as you mentioned, I only broke in the engine halfway in the garage last night and didn't involve running the car on the ground. Today, I'll lay down the car on the ground and try it to see the problem still exists.
Obviously last night, the engine was not even 160 degrees when I was breaking in. Another reason I can't say the problem still exists. I'll update you tonight.
I'll take a picture and post it here to see if you can notice any. I may not be a beginner but not an expert either so hopefully you guys can notice something that I don't see. I checked this and that so many times already that I don't even know if I want to keep this car LOL.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #7110
Tech Master

Quote:
It's O.S. XZ engine. Again I can't say 100% that it's having the same problem after I re built the engine yet cuz, as you mentioned, I only broke in the engine halfway in the garage last night and didn't involve running the car on the ground. Today, I'll lay down the car on the ground and try it to see the problem still exists.
Obviously last night, the engine was not even 160 degrees when I was breaking in. Another reason I can't say the problem still exists. I'll update you tonight.
I'll take a picture and post it here to see if you can notice any. I may not be a beginner but not an expert either so hopefully you guys can notice something that I don't see. I checked this and that so many times already that I don't even know if I want to keep this car LOL.
Did you replace the P/S after you came across the problem? Or was it a brand new engine 1/2 broken in?
Im not a veteran yet but I can tell you 160 isn't near hot enough for a new engine to switch to 2nd. Also if your expecting the engine to switch during the first 10 tanks of break in, it most likely will not nor should it cause its bad for break in. After the first bottle of fuel you should then start tightening the hs needle introducing it to temps over 200 degrees. During most of the first bottle you should be around 190-200 degrees and not switching at all. The 2nd bottle is when you start leaning it and starting to see some of the engines potential.
That is how I break in my engines and all of my engines haven't disappointed me the least bit. Others will say different and have their own way, but im not rich and would like my engines to last as long as possible.
Again during break in it shouldn't switch for the first 7-10 tanks at all. If it does, don't let it and richen it s little.
Thats just my opinion and the way I do my break in