R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree7Likes

Old 04-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #6691
Tech Initiate

Anyone using Capricorn composite gears in diffs? Any shimming needed to make them work?
Sti2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #6692
Tech Rookie

I use them... Put them straight in and seem to work fine. Time will tell how long they last.
Rhyswilldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #6693
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sti2 View Post
Anyone using Capricorn composite gears in diffs? Any shimming needed to make them work?
They drop right in. However I would recommend replacing the pins and satellite axels when the diff has been run for some time. When the pins and axels are worn the composite gears wear out faster.

Mine last for an entire season, actually still got the first set I got 3 years ago.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:33 AM   #6694
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
They drop right in. However I would recommend replacing the pins and satellite axels when the diff has been run for some time. When the pins and axels are worn the composite gears wear out faster.

Mine last for an entire season, actually still got the first set I got 3 years ago.
They are great if you stay off the walls on US style tracks. There were issues at the worlds in TX with durability. If your track has grass runoff areas and you don't hit anything on throttle they should last a VERY long time.

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:31 AM   #6695
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMAK View Post
The OS .12xz speed 3 was 2nd at the worlds....
Here is a hint. The engines that run at the worlds aren't engines you would get off the shelf with 80% of the MFG's. There are exceptions (I can take a MAX mod out of the box and go to nats etc, same with murnan, and others), but I have seen some of the engines the top drivers use. One particular Ninja engine I ran against in cali. This particular factory driver's .12 touring car engine was quoted by the new team driver (both names are known in almost every rc circle) as having 21 power in a 12 case. He had to roll on the throttle to not get wheel spin on a very sticky track. I was running a Max xxl3 that was VERY quick and I pulled just about everyone else except 3 specific other team drivers that have engine deals.

However those same engines wouldn't be the same if you purchased them off the shelf. If you go to a big nitro race you will find that the top drivers with engine deals have cases of engines with various power profiles which never see the light of day for retail sales. I am not saying this is the rule, but rather the exception. In all forms of motorsport this happens, and to think that what wins on sunday is what you buy on monday is rarely the case. Nothing against OS and the other guys, but they generally aren't the same between what the top drivers run at international races and what you buy in the hobby shop.

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:22 AM   #6696
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Does anyone know if the new bulkheads include the mounting part for the new wire bar? Couldn't find a part number for it on the supplement sheet for the 2013 edition of the NT1.

Edit:

Never mind it's the same part they use for the rear wire bar #334050

Thanks
Andrew

Last edited by Bundy_Bear; 04-13-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Bundy_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #6697
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7ttlm View Post
Here is a hint. The engines that run at the worlds aren't engines you would get off the shelf with 80% of the MFG's. There are exceptions (I can take a MAX mod out of the box and go to nats etc, same with murnan, and others), but I have seen some of the engines the top drivers use. One particular Ninja engine I ran against in cali. This particular factory driver's .12 touring car engine was quoted by the new team driver (both names are known in almost every rc circle) as having 21 power in a 12 case. He had to roll on the throttle to not get wheel spin on a very sticky track. I was running a Max xxl3 that was VERY quick and I pulled just about everyone else except 3 specific other team drivers that have engine deals.

However those same engines wouldn't be the same if you purchased them off the shelf. If you go to a big nitro race you will find that the top drivers with engine deals have cases of engines with various power profiles which never see the light of day for retail sales. I am not saying this is the rule, but rather the exception. In all forms of motorsport this happens, and to think that what wins on sunday is what you buy on monday is rarely the case. Nothing against OS and the other guys, but they generally aren't the same between what the top drivers run at international races and what you buy in the hobby shop.
Oh yes, i agree that the top guys are running modded already "tuned" engines. However, from what i have heard so far, the new OS is a ripper out of the box. I have a spec 2 that my buddy had won club races with. So for club racers and mortals, it will still be an above average mill. And my plan is, if it is not as fast for Byrons, i will send it to Murnan for GLC..
DNX408V2-NovaP5, DETC410-Reventon 1.1ex-5.5t MMM
RC10 , RC10GT2- CV-R- SAVOX,
TAMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #6698
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

well its like comparing apples to oranges though. those teams have a lot of support and can afford to experiment and modify engines til they are blue in the face. im sur ethey have CRAZY modified motors that most of us will never see. but those motors are still derivitives of the motors we can buy. they use the same parts, though heavily modified..

you can buy a subaru, and it will be fast and fun for you, obviously it wont be as good as a wrc subaru, but that is still derived from the showroom car.... though loosely... lol. not as loosely as nascar...

im not diluted enough to think i can race at even close to a level of those guys. if i went to a national event if i finished top 50, id be really happy. though i dont think the equipment i was running would determine that so much as my driving.

I probably could have got by with the $140 rb tuning. but i think this motor will be a better choice as i wont be slow forever.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #6699
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to 1evo RRR Driver
Default 2013 spec

Does anybody have a 2013spec? Cause my buddy just got his in the mail!
Old 04-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #6700
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1evo RRR Driver View Post
Does anybody have a 2013spec? Cause my buddy just got his in the mail!

I got the 2013 parts I wanted for my car... So

Will be working on it later this week.

Who got the 2013?? Goose??

"On-road is racing.. off-road is 50% competitive jumping and 50% crash avoidance"...
Scott B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #6701
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I sure did Scotty! I ordered on Wednesday from rcmarket and got it this morning!
goose510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #6702
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post

Yeah, Goose.

SpeedWorld Raceway & Hobbies | DesotoRacing.com | R1 Wurks
neltime64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #6703
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose510 View Post
I sure did Scotty! I ordered on Wednesday from rcmarket and got it this morning!
Yup there quick for sure... they usually get parts about 2 weeks before RcAmerica does most times..

I would of had my parts Saturday but the post office loaded the package on to the truck going to Elk Grove instead of the one going to Roseville.

"On-road is racing.. off-road is 50% competitive jumping and 50% crash avoidance"...
Scott B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #6704
Tech Elite

Quote:

Yep! Sent me a pic, You, tanis, sal, team just grew by one time to do battle with the real "RED ARMY"
Old 04-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #6705
Tech Elite

Quote:
Yup there quick for sure... they usually get parts about 2 weeks before RcAmerica does most times..

I would of had my parts Saturday but the post office loaded the package on to the truck going to Elk Grove instead of the one going to Roseville.
What parts u get Scotty?