R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree6Likes

Old 01-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #4711
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by staikosn1 View Post
Is that the team orion servo low profile on steering??
Yes it is.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #4712
Tech Initiate

Hi DS Motorsport,

Your CAD images are great. Where did you get the dimensions or drawings to model the chassis/tank/radio plate assembly?

- Kronos
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #4713
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

best guess... his car lol

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #4714
Tech Adept

To DS Motorsport..

Congratulations because of your CAD images. Really fantastic!

..looking at your images I've noticed that.... I can't see where the receiver is mounted on your car.... ??

I see the LowProfile servos, the aluminium antenna support but.. where is the receiver?

Thanks
NikoRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #4715
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
Hi DS Motorsport,

Your CAD images are great. Where did you get the dimensions or drawings to model the chassis/tank/radio plate assembly?

- Kronos
Thanks man.
Dimensions is all measuring with a set of verniers. Lot of work and quite hard to get everything accurate. Currently i'm am looking at getting some parts laserscanned/3d scanned to make sure at least the chassis is 100% accurate. Because I also want to make a custom front and rearend.

This week I will start on the rear end, it will be a combination of the recent 1/10 cars (Shepherd, 733, Capricorn) and the modern EP cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoRacing View Post
To DS Motorsport..

Congratulations because of your CAD images. Really fantastic!

..looking at your images I've noticed that.... I can't see where the receiver is mounted on your car.... ??

I see the LowProfile servos, the aluminium antenna support but.. where is the receiver?

Thanks
Thanks for the compliment.
The receiver isn't mounted yet because i'm waiting on a new housing and need to buy some double sided tape.
I will simply mount the receiver to the throttle servo by using double sided tape.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:57 AM   #4716
Tech Adept

anyone intresting NT1 220mm VDS conversion kit ?
Old 01-11-2010, 06:56 AM   #4717
Tech Apprentice

DS,

Fantastic car. Very interesting approach to the RC engineering state of the art.
Are you thinking about a CSO carbon fiber main chassis ? It's worth 60 grams or so...
Old 01-12-2010, 05:04 AM   #4718
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra zz View Post
DS,

Fantastic car. Very interesting approach to the RC engineering state of the art.
Are you thinking about a CSO carbon fiber main chassis ? It's worth 60 grams or so...
Thanks.

I don't like the idea of a carbon chassis. It removes weight from the worst possible place: the absolute lowest position of the car. This will raise the CoG, so I think a carbon chassis will actually hurt performance instead of enhancing it.
If you want to start removing weight from a racing car work from top to bottom. For instance start by using aluminum screws for holding the wing instead of steal.
Also work from outside to inside.
The best investment in saving weight and improving performance is buying a set of aluminum pivot balls and Delrin nuts. Sharpens up the handling instantly.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #4719
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
Thanks.

I don't like the idea of a carbon chassis. It removes weight from the worst possible place: the absolute lowest position of the car. This will raise the CoG, so I think a carbon chassis will actually hurt performance instead of enhancing it.
If you want to start removing weight from a racing car work from top to bottom. For instance start by using aluminum screws for holding the wing instead of steal.
Also work from outside to inside.
The best investment in saving weight and improving performance is buying a set of aluminum pivot balls and Delrin nuts. Sharpens up the handling instantly.
how about the km titanium pillow balls ... what comes stock steel ones
danny250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #4720
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny250r View Post
how about the km titanium pillow balls ... what comes stock steel ones
Stick with the Xray lightweight ones, and the kit does come with steel pillow balls.

Chris Kemper
Osiris 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:37 PM   #4721
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Xray Aluminum Pivot Balls will save up to 29 grams in comparison with the stock ones.
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:04 AM   #4722
Tech Apprentice

What about durability concerns ?
I've heard about been too fragile. Probably with Ti ones you'll save less weight but will have a tougher suspension for long mains...
Old 01-13-2010, 08:12 AM   #4723
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
I've heard about been too fragile. Probably with Ti ones you'll save less weight but will have a tougher suspension for long mains...
The only durability concerns are at the lower front of the car. If thats a concern, just place the steel ones at the lower front, and the alu ones everywhere else.

Chris Kemper

Last edited by Osiris 75; 01-13-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Osiris 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #4724
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
You are right, they are more fragile than the stock. But they need such a hard impact that if you dont break them, you will break a lower arm or steering knuckle or both.

I had some pretty hard crashes and the one time I broke one was when I smashed my car full throttle (wasn't full speed) against concrete blocks.
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #4725
Tech Master

If you are running the US style of tracks (wooden barriers or piping) I wouldn't run the aluminum ones, they are pretty fragile. The Ti ones are a lot tougher, if you get some quality ones, no 3racing crap. Or if you still make mistakes and have a couple of off's a day I wouldn't use them either.
I mainly race on tracks which have grass run off areas. On my first outing last year I hit the concrete pitwall because I missed my braking point and two alu pivotballs snapped right thru, also broke the Ti trackrod and bent the driveshaft.