R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree6Likes

Old 10-16-2009, 01:54 AM   #4591
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

this was a first for me anyway has anyone had there clutch spring round nut come loose during a 20min race, I always tighten it up finger tight which gives me a few threads exposed on the flywheel nut and I adjust my clutch gap/end play after that. anyone else had this problem? only problem was That I missed a race cause the clutch was engaging continuously and stalled the minute it hit the ground
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:03 AM   #4592
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussies1129 View Post
this was a first for me anyway has anyone had there clutch spring round nut come loose during a 20min race, I always tighten it up finger tight which gives me a few threads exposed on the flywheel nut and I adjust my clutch gap/end play after that. anyone else had this problem? only problem was That I missed a race cause the clutch was engaging continuously and stalled the minute it hit the ground
I've had that happen before, but what I did to resolve the issue was take a screwdriver and just ding a thread on the nut to keep it from turning easily. . Then the next time I get parts, replace it.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:30 AM   #4593
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussies1129 View Post
It's happen to me once or twice with a really hard spring. Use a dab of thread lock on the threads of the adj nut and you should be good...
Diatta Collymore [email protected]([email protected])(www.fordhamhobbies.com) (Wallacemotorsports.net) Fordham Hobbies, Wallace Motorsports, WRC Racing, Hot Race Tyres, Ielasi Tuned Engines, VP Power Master fuel, KO Propo America, Paint By Mikey Mike
D-nicest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #4594
Tech Apprentice

Default leaking diffs

I'm yet to actually drive my car.

I've built the diffs, and didn't find much time during the following weeks to do much more with the car, and when i came back, the diffs were very slowly slowly leaking.

So i rebuilt with new washers i bought, and found the old ones were 'crimped' when i first built them.

Again, after i rebuilt the diffs, i haven't had much time to do much more with the car, and now i've come back again, and they are very slowly slowly leaking again...not enough to form an actual drop of oil, but you can see that it's wet around the join area on the front diff, and a little around the screw on the rear diff.

Is this normal, or should there be no leaking AT ALL??
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:27 PM   #4595
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Michael_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I'm yet to actually drive my car.

I've built the diffs, and didn't find much time during the following weeks to do much more with the car, and when i came back, the diffs were very slowly slowly leaking.

So i rebuilt with new washers i bought, and found the old ones were 'crimped' when i first built them.

Again, after i rebuilt the diffs, i haven't had much time to do much more with the car, and now i've come back again, and they are very slowly slowly leaking again...not enough to form an actual drop of oil, but you can see that it's wet around the join area on the front diff, and a little around the screw on the rear diff.

Is this normal, or should there be no leaking AT ALL??
The rubber orings are usually only good for one diff and cannot be re-used.

Most use a gasket sealant of some sort with the orings to prevent leakage.

BlueRC | www.bluerc.net
Michael_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:26 AM   #4596
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

glenn totally ditch that o ring, and get some loctite silicone gasket sealant and put a bead of this around the "L" edge of the diff case, then close it up, clean up the excess that squeezes out once the screws are put in with a cotton ear bud.

put the sealant on the edge, and be sure not to go too close to the inside part of the diffcase, avoid it going into the diff when you close it up with the screws

after this, it will never leak, maybe only a fraction on the outdrives but will stay good for at least a full year of racing easy
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:09 AM   #4597
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
glenn totally ditch that o ring, and get some loctite silicone gasket sealant and put a bead of this around the "L" edge of the diff case, then close it up, clean up the excess that squeezes out once the screws are put in with a cotton ear bud.

put the sealant on the edge, and be sure not to go too close to the inside part of the diffcase, avoid it going into the diff when you close it up with the screws

after this, it will never leak, maybe only a fraction on the outdrives but will stay good for at least a full year of racing easy
after Tom recommended this to me I have never had a problem with diffs leaking and not worried to rebuild them often, use the red tube locktight gasket sealant its not cheap but it does the job the best
cheers
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:34 PM   #4598
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post

Cheers Tom!

I can see how this would help with the front gear diff. You mean though to put it on the L edge, exactly where the o ring sits yeah?? (and forget o ring altogether??)

With the rear diff, i do exactly the same, forget the o ring, and put some sealant exactly where the o ring used to sit??

Any idea why on the rear diff, it would leak around one of the screws, when i've tightened them in the right order, and nice and 'snug', not loose.

And just to be a pain, where's it easiest to pick up the Loctite sealant?? YOu have a part number or something so i get the right one??

Thanks in advance, and see you at the track one day...soon i hope!
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:52 AM   #4599
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Cheers Tom!

I can see how this would help with the front gear diff. You mean though to put it on the L edge, exactly where the o ring sits yeah?? (and forget o ring altogether??)

With the rear diff, i do exactly the same, forget the o ring, and put some sealant exactly where the o ring used to sit??

Any idea why on the rear diff, it would leak around one of the screws, when i've tightened them in the right order, and nice and 'snug', not loose.

And just to be a pain, where's it easiest to pick up the Loctite sealant?? YOu have a part number or something so i get the right one??

Thanks in advance, and see you at the track one day...soon i hope!
yep that's right the L section where the o ring sits. it is Loctite number 518 flange sealant, i bought it from the shop next door to cmc. but i think most auto shops will have it. you can clean it right off when you do a total rebuild, just pick at it with your nails, or a blade.

it probably leaks out of one screw hole as you tightened it down too much on one side first and the plastic is a bit warped.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #4600
Tech Champion

About xray leaking diff unit, the problem is basically imperfect design of diff unit enclosure :

1. no gasket seal plate like in mugen seiki or like in buggy gear box.... instead, xray use a thin o-ring, which must be replace after every maintenance. Used o-ring usually will be out of place when diff cover is closed.

2. the screws that sandwich together diff cover to diff unit, they are simply too short, thus not up to the job to secure the diff cover from constant abuse of rotation. Possibly the silicone oil sip out from the cover. My friend one time lost the cover during final, he was holding 3rd position at minutes 40

3. the seal o-ring where the outdrives inserted into the diff unit, it's not up too the job either. The slicone oil easily sip out through the outdrive's shaft. I notice the oil existance near the outdrive area. I think this is the most common leaking spot.

Mugen MTX4 also have this problem too .... , mainly due to #3.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #4601
Tech Adept

Cool 45gr LiPo

Quote:
Originally Posted by romuald31 View Post
Hello from France,

my NT1 "Super Leggera" is on the way...

All XRay lightweight parts are on it.
Just waiting for the graphite receiver bracket, and low profile servos.

Here'e the Li-Po Intellect 7.4V-2200mAh (38g less than my previous 6V-1600mAh Ni-Mh) with the new XCeed micro regulator.

Au revoir.
Hello Romuald...I know you are working on a NT1 SUPERLEGGERA and so that you are searching for a lightweight battery pack..
..I want to suggest you a excellent Italian product regarding this field
The new Smart Power Pack created by Edge of Power. No regulator and a constant 6V current. This is 1 cell LiPo with a voltage of 3,7V and a special electronic circuit that elevates the voltage to 6V. Than there's a switch that permits you to turn on/off the current end it also indicates you (within a led) the state of charge of the battery (it is green when the pack is ok, orange when it's going to "finish" and went red when you are on the limit)
This pack gives you an autonomy of 70 almost minutes
Only 45grams!!!!!!!!!

You can find more information on the site of "Edge of Embedded"

bye!
NikoRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #4602
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)

if anyone is looking for some extra bearings and stuff check this out.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...t-1-parts.html
joerocket900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:53 AM   #4603
Tech Apprentice

After some tanks running perfectly, my clutch developed a strange behavior like engaging and disengaging fastly when out corners in mid acceleration.
With full throttle the problem disapears.

The clutch was rebuilt and the gaps are ok.
Could it be just spring preload ? Or something related to low end engine tuning ?

Thanks for your advice.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:54 AM   #4604
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mines doing the same thing Cobra.
What clutch settings/spring are you using?
I'm using the CRF square spring with .4mm gap and 1.2mm tension. Yellow shoe.

Cheers
Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:08 AM   #4605
Tech Apprentice

KFactory black 1.8mm with 0.6 gap and 1.00 preload.