R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree7Likes

Old 06-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #4231
Tech Regular

lol anyway i am just a little frustraited since i will have to buy again all the lightweight parts of the new clutch.... but very nice indeed would like to purchase one
Old 06-24-2009, 11:50 PM   #4232
Tech Champion

I'm not going to switch to smaller, lighter, xca clucth. I remember my ex G4S also use much smaller diameter clutch than mugen seiki. ( Probably the new xca clucth will be the same size like in G4S's clutch shoe ).

Two problems : sensitive to overheat problem if I dont tweak it right , and the clucth only last 2 races max. Increasing the cost for racing.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #4233
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I agree with asw7576. I would have thought a bigger clutch (larger contact area on the clutch shoe/bell) would be better. More consistent. But i could be wrong. For an average joe driver would i notice the difference the light weight clutch makes or should i save my money for other stuff.

Cheers
Old 06-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #4234
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grub View Post
check your servo travel if you have to much travel it will pull on the carby causing the engine to move just enough to stuff the gears ,also what gear split are you running this cause me plenty of head aches
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrod View Post
Hey there guys I have been running the nt1 for a couple of years now, and I feel that it is a great handling car, however I am becomming ever so frustrated with stripping 2nd gear during a main. This has happened almost everytime in the last year. I run a red dot motor and I like it a lot for the price, my friend also runs an nt1 and he says that it is the peco motor. I just find it hard to believe that the motor can be the problem because when i install the spur gears the mesh is perfect so i just don't get it. I am to the point where i am ready to get rid of the car for something else. Maybe the new velox.
im fairly new to this on-road nitro. i usually run tc electric carpet....i decided to give on-road nitro a shot, and so far its awesome!! anyhow, i just wanted comment that, a body of mine encountered the same problem. he runs the mtx3 and he also runs the "picco red dot" engine and it also stripped his 2nd gear.
dragont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:44 AM   #4235
Tech Regular

Default RB Fuel testing

so yesterday was the last race of the season. little i know that the race was going to be canceled because of lack racers. anyway the remaining two racers and myself stayed there and tested some set-ups since we had the computer to see our times. one of the test was going to be the rb fuel, like i promised you freestyles. i richened the engine a bit and started going. the engine was Very rich, my mechanic(father) started leaning it out, the engine was around the 90 degrees celcius mark but was still very rich, continiued leaning, the engine went up to 105 degrees max, and the engine was going prety well but once i stopped and shut down the engine to make some set ups on the car the engine went rich again, go figure, i had this problem going on for about two hours, my guese for going rich is because of weather changes and maybe because of my clutch set-up being to soft and bogging down the engine. anyway decided to really lean the engine and finally the engine really came alive running again happilly at around 120 degrees, since then it never went rich on me again(maybe because i finally changes the clutch set up to a very hard and agressive one). in the end of the day the car was going like a train, recording the fastest time among the reast of the two and finally found the set up of this track. as for the rb fuel i can just say that it was good, expected some more, but defenetly better than my tornado fuel, will see in the future how good this rb fuel with further tests.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #4236
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro-Racer* View Post
so yesterday was the last race of the season. little i know that the race was going to be canceled because of lack racers. anyway the remaining two racers and myself stayed there and tested some set-ups since we had the computer to see our times. one of the test was going to be the rb fuel, like i promised you freestyles. i richened the engine a bit and started going. the engine was Very rich, my mechanic(father) started leaning it out, the engine was around the 90 degrees celcius mark but was still very rich, continiued leaning, the engine went up to 105 degrees max, and the engine was going prety well but once i stopped and shut down the engine to make some set ups on the car the engine went rich again, go figure, i had this problem going on for about two hours, my guese for going rich is because of weather changes and maybe because of my clutch set-up being to soft and bogging down the engine. anyway decided to really lean the engine and finally the engine really came alive running again happilly at around 120 degrees, since then it never went rich on me again(maybe because i finally changes the clutch set up to a very hard and agressive one). in the end of the day the car was going like a train, recording the fastest time among the reast of the two and finally found the set up of this track. as for the rb fuel i can just say that it was good, expected some more, but defenetly better than my tornado fuel, will see in the future how good this rb fuel with further tests.
What motor did you use? Definately your clutch can have a big impact on your tune and make you think your too rich when in fact your clutch is just too loose. Thanks for posting some feedback on the fuel. Do you run your motor usually at 120 deg. celcius? My last race i came off at 125 deg. celcius and i feel that's about 10 deg. too hot. I was driving very hard and i think maybe my 2 speed was kicking in a bit late so i'm hoping they were the contributing factors. It was still blowing smoke and making good speed so it couldn't have been too bad for it i suppose. Thanks again mate.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #4237
Tech Regular

from my signature you can see that i run the novarossi 12-3SCT engine. this engine loves running at 115 degrees at least, that is were it start coming alive. tempereture is just an indicator, but i feel that novas have to run hot to give out there maximum performance. usualy i tune my engine before the race at 110-115 degees so that when the race is finished the engine is around the 120-130 degrees mark.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #4238
Tech Master

Quote:
from my signature you can see that i run the novarossi 12-3SCT engine. this engine loves running at 115 degrees at least, that is were it start coming alive. tempereture is just an indicator, but i feel that novas have to run hot to give out there maximum performance. usualy i tune my engine before the race at 110-115 degees so that when the race is finished the engine is around the 120-130 degrees mark.
Oh yeah sorry i didn't see it when i replied to your post. I run an RB at the moment (nova based) and i too find it runs it's best around the 120 deg. mark. I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

Cheers
Old 06-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #4239
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

talking about clutches the best thing i ever did was buy the aluminium clutch bell for my nt1. It increased the sweet spot of the clutch, eliminated all the burn marks i was getting on the yellow shoe, increased punch, and made the clutch perform better overall.

i don't think the smaller clutch is really required. Xray themselves said during the testing that it wasn't suited to some track conditions that required more punch, the clutch didn't punch as well as the standard version.

if you need less punch then just drop in the white shoe onto the aluminum bell or the steel bell, problem solved.

Infact i've seen some people screw in grub screws onto the grey flyweights to increase the weight of this part and hence increase punch.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #4240
Tech Champion

Quote:
agree my max runs best at 120 to 130 degrees. obviously there's leeway in this dependant ont he temp gun you use. I set up my temp gun to read 100 degrees celcius when water is boiling in a non reflective pot (ie cast iron pot) water boils of at 100 celcius so if my temp gun reads this i know it is only 1 or 2 degrees of calibration at the most.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #4241
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Yet we still dont see you racing lol
mrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:34 AM   #4242
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
talking about clutches the best thing i ever did was buy the aluminium clutch bell for my nt1. It increased the sweet spot of the clutch, eliminated all the burn marks i was getting on the yellow shoe, increased punch, and made the clutch perform better overall.

i don't think the smaller clutch is really required. Xray themselves said during the testing that it wasn't suited to some track conditions that required more punch, the clutch didn't punch as well as the standard version.

if you need less punch then just drop in the white shoe onto the aluminum bell or the steel bell, problem solved.

Infact i've seen some people screw in grub screws onto the grey flyweights to increase the weight of this part and hence increase punch.
Did you have any problems on aluminum clutch bell about inside(where the bell and shoe contacts) of it? Mine wears and gets thiner everytime I use it.

http://www.aytemizhobi.com
Turkish shop for: Serpent, Xceed, Sweep Racing, MyLaps
musti72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:00 AM   #4243
Tech Rookie

Thats normal and the nagtive aspect of the aluminium clutch bell.
FromGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:04 AM   #4244
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by musti72 View Post
Did you have any problems on aluminum clutch bell about inside(where the bell and shoe contacts) of it? Mine wears and gets thiner everytime I use it.
no mine doesn't wear down. The only time i had this happen was when the clutch came apart and some weird stuf happened. it wore away the hard anodising. Since this has happened i used it in a large event and didn't notice any change. infact i had to sand down the inside of the bell as it did not smooth itself out with normal use after this accident happened which would insinuate that it wasn't wearing out at all.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #4245
Tech Regular

Default RB Fuel

so today i tested the fuel on another "track" and i can clearly say now that rb fuel is very good indeed, the engine was performing Great at just 100 degrees while other times with the tornado fuel i had to go up to 120 degrees to give me the same performance...