R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree6Likes

Old 07-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #3226
Tech Initiate

Default stripping gears

I have tried everything, I replaced the whole rear end with new parts and bearings, and everytime I run the car I am stripping gears. Where do you get the one peace mount, is it an x-ray part. I am about to try a new chassis, and if this continues the car is history. I love the way it drives but this is getting on my nerves, I cant finish a race.
rodney01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:00 AM   #3227
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney01 View Post
I have tried everything, I replaced the whole rear end with new parts and bearings, and everytime I run the car I am stripping gears. Where do you get the one peace mount, is it an x-ray part. I am about to try a new chassis, and if this continues the car is history. I love the way it drives but this is getting on my nerves, I cant finish a race.
did you chk yr 2 speed clutch? make sure it's not enaging too harsh...
also chk yr clutch bell endplay; maybe too loose?
NitroWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:58 AM   #3228
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroWD View Post
did you chk yr 2 speed clutch? make sure it's not enaging too harsh...
also chk yr clutch bell endplay; maybe too loose?
Mark(rodney-01) is a pretty experienced racer. He and I both have this problem with stripping 2nd gears. What Dennison said above is true as well....some of my 2speed spurs looked to be melted. The teeth on the 2nd gear spurs also seemed to be uniformly bent in the direction of load. After checking every aspect of perfect gear mesh setting, 2speed clutch engagement , setting clutch bell endgap to almost but not ZERO, no slop in clutch bearings, lighter clutch engagement , checking for a true 2speed shaft, replacing the bearings holding the 2speed shaft, checking side to side movement of 2speed shaft, the gears still strip??? Went back to nova engine...and no stripping?? LOL

Couple of diffrences i notice between Nova's and picco's. I'm not saying any of these cause problems, but there just observations.

1) crankase is wider on picco. In fact If you put the motor in the engine mount, the motor screws are slightly skewed when you tighten them down completely. This does cause some very slight engine movement on throttle engagement.
2) I had to cut down the motor screws when i use the piccos. if you just drop the engine screws through the holes on the picco you will see the head of the bolt make contact with the side of the block. Not Good!! This limits motor adjustability.
3)Clutch bell does sit further out in gear engagement with 2speed spurs compared to the novas.
4) The low end torque of the picco is much greater then the novas. The novas have a much broader and smoother torque band. Novas max torque is made much higher after 2peed engagement. When the 2speed engages with the picco the motor is making maxiumum torque. If the weather is very warm out...track temps over 120 degrees... this could be overstressing the plastic teeth.

I'm at a loss with this one....these are just some thoughts.
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:21 AM   #3229
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ View Post
Mark(rodney-01) is a pretty experienced racer. He and I both have this problem with stripping 2nd gears. What Dennison said above is true as well....some of my 2speed spurs looked to be melted. The teeth on the 2nd gear spurs also seemed to be uniformly bent in the direction of load. After checking every aspect of perfect gear mesh setting, 2speed clutch engagement , setting clutch bell endgap to almost but not ZERO, no slop in clutch bearings, lighter clutch engagement , checking for a true 2speed shaft, replacing the bearings holding the 2speed shaft, checking side to side movement of 2speed shaft, the gears still strip??? Went back to nova engine...and no stripping?? LOL

Couple of diffrences i notice between Nova's and picco's. I'm not saying any of these cause problems, but there just observations.

1) crankase is wider on picco. In fact If you put the motor in the engine mount, the motor screws are slightly skewed when you tighten them down completely. This does cause some very slight engine movement on throttle engagement.
2) I had to cut down the motor screws when i use the piccos. if you just drop the engine screws through the holes on the picco you will see the head of the bolt make contact with the side of the block. Not Good!! This limits motor adjustability.
3)Clutch bell does sit further out in gear engagement with 2speed spurs compared to the novas.
4) The low end torque of the picco is much greater then the novas. The novas have a much broader and smoother torque band. Novas max torque is made much higher after 2peed engagement. When the 2speed engages with the picco the motor is making maxiumum torque. If the weather is very warm out...track temps over 120 degrees... this could be overstressing the plastic teeth.

I'm at a loss with this one....these are just some thoughts.
Have you tried the opional engine mounts that x-ray offers for picco based engines?
Vasilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:33 AM   #3230
Tech Regular

No i haven't tried the engine mounts for picco based engines... I didn't even know they offered them.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:42 AM   #3231
Tech Regular

just checked there website......they do offer them. they might be the solution to the spurs.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:03 AM   #3232
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney01 View Post
what split are you running?
i stripped 7 2 speed spurs gears at the latest sa titles
i replaced all bearings in clutch/2speed,bulkhead to find out i was running a 7 tooth split my stuff up
the gears would last 4 minutes then strip
the gear looked like it had melted not stripped
i changed to a 5 tooth split hav'nt done a gear since that was 2 months ago
also i have heard that a savage 2 speed engagement will also strip gears
just my 2cents
Without me, my xray nt1 is nothing!
pop corn anyone or maybe some fairy floss
grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #3233
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

>>>>>>>when you strip a gear, make sure that your gears are lined up so that they are fully on the pinions....not mess, lined up. If the clutch bell is moving in and out(too much end play) this will cause the gears to wear more in 1 area than the other, making it weaker. I havn't stripped but 3 gears in more than a year of racing the NT1. I've worn a few to the point that I replaced them, but 2 of those 3 were the 53 tooth 2nd gear.... I don't use that one hardly ever unless I'm club racing..... Also, I've noticed some other people having issues that I found the 2nd speed clutch was not adjusted equaly on both sides. reset the clutch spring screws to make sure that it isn't draging more on one side than the other, causing DRAG on the 2nd speed. Also, make sure that your first gear one way is cleaned and lubed with one-way lube. This will make sure that it isn't hanging up as well. That usualy isn't the problem, but it is worth looking at if you have ran your car on a sandy surface.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #3234
Tech Master

the 53t gear has been the problem for me also
ive been told the 53 t plastic different(softer) ,but who no's
Without me, my xray nt1 is nothing!
pop corn anyone or maybe some fairy floss
grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #3235
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I ran the Picco ( IDM ) In the NT1 for a full season here in Fl. I never lost a 2nd gear, I even ran 53tooth spurs. NO special mounts or anything, My gears were 18-61 23-53. I personaly think the key is to make sure you have the gears square , ( not coxing the motor to the front or rear to make the mesh tight ) And Also to make sure your throttle servo is not pulling the carb open so far that the motor is being pulled forward. Hope this helps.
MHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #3236
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHarrison View Post
I ran the Picco ( IDM ) In the NT1 for a full season here in Fl. I never lost a 2nd gear, I even ran 53tooth spurs. NO special mounts or anything, My gears were 18-61 23-53. I personaly think the key is to make sure you have the gears square , ( not coxing the motor to the front or rear to make the mesh tight ) And Also to make sure your throttle servo is not pulling the carb open so far that the motor is being pulled forward. Hope this helps.
Hey Mark, how's going man?

Remember the frustration I had at the US open? I think I also came to you for help if I remember correctly.

For me, it was a heat transfer problem. That was it.

I did learn alot though, from all the suggestions from everyone. See you at Homestead.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #3237
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

funny that my gears look brand new, only times i stripped a gear was when i hit a board hard, but it didn't strip it just lost teeth. i've actually never stripped a gear.

i use the km racing alloy cross brace and the atomic alloy top deck holders. seems to work fine
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:13 PM   #3238
Tech Regular

Default Never stripped a gear myself either

Had the xray Nt1 since Jan 08. Running a very powerful Novarossi 3SCT that has tons of torque on the bottom end and will pull very high rpms. I Have it geared to the moon, 17/23 54/59. I'm running the orginal 54 spur gear. I would say I have about 5 gallons on it. Never stripped a gear. I do go through the 17/16 pinions more then I'd like. They start wearing and getting "sharp teeth".
jk1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:21 PM   #3239
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk1152 View Post
Had the xray Nt1 since Jan 08. Running a very powerful Novarossi 3SCT that has tons of torque on the bottom end and will pull very high rpms. I Have it geared to the moon, 17/23 54/59. I'm running the orginal 54 spur gear. I would say I have about 5 gallons on it. Never stripped a gear. I do go through the 17/16 pinions more then I'd like. They start wearing and getting "sharp teeth".
your gear mesh is too tight this is why this happens
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #3240
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to jigga21
Default Destroyed the drivetrain

Anyone using the optional aluminum pullys from 3 racing and if so what do you think of them? I ran in our first club race of the summer today and the little rocks ripped up every pully in the car and wore out all 3 belts. If I can't figure out a way around this, I won't be able to afford to race. Anybody have any suggestions?
jigga21 is offline   Reply With Quote