R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree6Likes

Old 07-06-2008, 10:04 PM   #3196
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to THeGame

I donít think there is any real performance benefit in running the aluminum shocks. Iím still running the stock shocks and have had no problems with them. I would think the aluminum bodies are more durable then the stock ones.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:27 PM   #3197
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

IMO, the al shocks are just a lil more durable and mainly easier to build. I have been using these composite shocks for 4 years, tested other shocks. bumpy track there is some to gain, but most of the time its just a question of getting the right oil/ valving / spring.. build the composite shocks right and they work fine.

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:17 AM   #3198
B4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've change to the Alu shocks only because i had an accident and broke one of the original composites. I decided that if i was going to buy something I may as well get the alu ones. There isn't any performance gain as far as i can tell and i run them with the single o-ring, they are easier to build IMHO.
B4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:08 AM   #3199
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by THeGame View Post
I donít think there is any real performance benefit in running the aluminum shocks. Iím still running the stock shocks and have had no problems with them. I would think the aluminum bodies are more durable then the stock ones.
Yep. If you do use the aluminum ones, I'd recommend building them with the 1 o-ring config. I use them on the front to protect against DNF's, due to collisions.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:32 AM   #3200
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgp View Post
Yep. If you do use the aluminum ones, I'd recommend building them with the 1 o-ring config. I use them on the front to protect against DNF's, due to collisions.
Hi Teamgp,

Why 1 o-ring configration? I use them with 2 oring and its still smoth. But I newer tried 2 orings. What for difference did you find?

thnx
CIMRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #3201
Tech Elite

Has anyone tried using the adjustability of the X Ray shocks in testing? Are they easy to adjust/use?

I like the idea of being able to adjust them and use more/less piston holes.
Does everyone use the stock hole sizes? What are the stock hole sizes anyway? Anyone measured them?

I've seen some gains in making these holes slightly bigger, ie: 1.2 or 1.3mm.
Would making the X Ray piston holes that big cause you not to be able to use the adjustable shock set up?

Lots of questions.....sorry.

Regards,
British Menace
Old 07-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #3202
GK
Suspended

I always use adjustable pistons, very easy to change damping. The hole DIA is 1mm. On Xray electric cars, some guys used to drill them to 1.1 or 1.2mm, but I don't think anyone does it on NT1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Has anyone tried using the adjustability of the X Ray shocks in testing? Are they easy to adjust/use?

I like the idea of being able to adjust them and use more/less piston holes.
Does everyone use the stock hole sizes? What are the stock hole sizes anyway? Anyone measured them?

I've seen some gains in making these holes slightly bigger, ie: 1.2 or 1.3mm.
Would making the X Ray piston holes that big cause you not to be able to use the adjustable shock set up?

Lots of questions.....sorry.

Regards,
British Menace
GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:07 AM   #3203
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
I always use adjustable pistons, very easy to change damping. The hole DIA is 1mm. On Xray electric cars, some guys used to drill them to 1.1 or 1.2mm, but I don't think anyone does it on NT1.
Up until two weeks ago, I've used the adjustable pistons as well. However, I'm pretty much settled now on 600/500 with 2 holes all way around for the NT1. So I now use the fixed pistons, which give a little more stiff dampening than the adjustables set to 2 holes open. Its worked great at two completely different tracks the past few weeks. I may try opening the holes up to 1.1 though.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:22 AM   #3204
Tech Regular

Default Picco in the NT1

Some people I know are having issues running the Picco JLR and IDM engines in the NT1. The issue is stripping 2nd gear spurs. I'm super careful with gear mesh alignment, snugging down the engine mount screws, and every aspect of two speed maintenance. I stripped like three 2speed spurs in one afternoon of racing. I changed every part on the 2speed assembly and clutch assembly including new motor mounts. The following race weekend....the same thing happened. I know two other racers who are having the same issues with the picco based engines, and it's getting expensive. As soon as I switched back to the Novarossi based engines..... the problem dissappeared. I'm just wondering if anyone else running the picco's is experiencing this problem ??

It seems the engine mount system on the NT1 works ideally with the Nova based engines.
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:31 AM   #3205
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ View Post
Some people I know are having issues running the Picco JLR and IDM engines in the NT1. The issue is stripping 2nd gear spurs. I'm super careful with gear mesh alignment, snugging down the engine mount screws, and every aspect of two speed maintenance. I stripped like three 2speed spurs in one afternoon of racing. I changed every part on the 2speed assembly and clutch assembly including new motor mounts. The following race weekend....the same thing happened. I know two other racers who are having the same issues with the picco based engines, and it's getting expensive. As soon as I switched back to the Novarossi based engines..... the problem dissappeared. I'm just wondering if anyone else running the picco's is experiencing this problem ??

It seems the engine mount system on the NT1 works ideally with the Nova based engines.

try to mesh the engine with just the 2nd spur gear on and then put the
1st gear back on it will line right up that should do it works for me
RANDY SMOOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:53 AM   #3206
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDY SMOOTH View Post
try to mesh the engine with just the 2nd spur gear on and then put the
1st gear back on it will line right up that should do it works for me
Thanks for the advice. Are you personally running the picco or the novarossi? I have no trouble with the nova's.
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:57 AM   #3207
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Are you personally running the picco or the novarossi? I have no trouble with the nova's.
I haven't had any issues with gears stripping while running the Picco, maybe try cleaning out all the screw holes in the engine mount with some motor cleaner to get any excess grease or dirt out that becomes oily when heated up, if engine mount screws are coming loose. What gearing are u running and what type of surface are u running on?
Diatta Collymore [email protected]([email protected])(www.fordhamhobbies.com) (Wallacemotorsports.net) Fordham Hobbies, Wallace Motorsports, WRC Racing, Hot Race Tyres, Ielasi Tuned Engines, VP Power Master fuel, KO Propo America, Paint By Mikey Mike
D-nicest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:07 AM   #3208
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

RayJ,

I have been running the picco all season with no gear problems. I have been setting my gear mesh the way Randy suggests since it makes it easier to get proper alignment.

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #3209
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Thumbs up spurs

Ray- I developed the same issues with my NT1/JL RedDot. I went through a couple of spurs like you. I happened to talk to Paul L. about it said to repplace the pinions... I did ALL the maintenence you did, plus replaceed the pinions and haven't had an issue since. Another guy said to get the Multi engine mount to make the chassis stiffer. That was next, but the cars to good right now to mess with!!
I saved ya a spot out by the fence for the Byrons race!!! Still had a good time without you!
TeamCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #3210
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
i'm running the picco red dot
RANDY SMOOTH is offline   Reply With Quote