R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree7Likes

Old 06-29-2008, 08:09 PM   #3181
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perez View Post
ohh, should i stick with the orion spring then? or??
Hey Mr. Perez.
How are you doing? I wondered where you were 'hiding' ...... lol.

Thanks to everyone on here for all the help and idea's around worthwhile upgrades.
All very good info'...thankyou.

British Menace
Old 07-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #3182
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to badKarma Send a message via Yahoo to badKarma

guys, what is the best way to attach the engine manifold springs to the engine without over streching them and tearing them up? my Skyline pipe came with two, i already tore one spring up using needle nose pliers, is there another way? also, since it came with two springs, do i need to buy another one, or will one suffice? thanks
badKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #3183
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

i have a handy little tool that looks like a pick with a small 180 Degree turn at the end.. I think several MFG's make them Hudy etc

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #3184
Tech Regular

when attaching the carb linkages to the throttle servo horn (futaba), the two screws that thread through the servo horn into the plastic pieces that hold the metal rods are not threading, in fact, it seems as if the holes are too big to catch onto the screws to hold them in place, did i do something wrong? i know the screws are not supposed to be on tight, but it wont even catch, now the plastic pieces that hold the rods dont stay connected to the metal linkage rods...any help? Thanks...
Old 07-02-2008, 11:17 PM   #3185
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by badKarma View Post
when attaching the carb linkages to the throttle servo horn (futaba), the two screws that thread through the servo horn into the plastic pieces that hold the metal rods are not threading, in fact, it seems as if the holes are too big to catch onto the screws to hold them in place, did i do something wrong? i know the screws are not supposed to be on tight, but it wont even catch, now the plastic pieces that hold the rods dont stay connected to the metal linkage rods...any help? Thanks...
You have me a little confused, so I took a look at my car. the carb/brake linkage parts that attatch to the servo horn are only attatched by the screw. The screw threads into the holes on the ends of the servo horn. They are not tightened down on the plastic pieces that the metal rods slide through for the throttle and the brake. If your throttle horn does not allow the screw to thread into it, use a longer screw that will go all the way through it and use a self-locking nut on the other end. make sure that it clears everything so that you prevent damage to the servo, or you might have to have the screw come up from the bottom and put the nut on the top.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #3186
Tech Champion

Quote:
You drill the hole ( to make it bigger ) on the futaba horn. Use 3mm drill bit.

You must use longer screw, like 3x16mm and a locknut, to lock everything in one place.

This is how you stack up together, in order from below to top :

locknut
throttle or brake plastic linkage that come in the kit.
futaba servo horn
3x16mm screw

Don't locknut it too tight, let it somewhat loose so the throtthle / brake plastic linkages are free to swing left and right.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:32 PM   #3187
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to asil

Quote:
guys, what is the best way to attach the engine manifold springs to the engine without over streching them and tearing them up? my Skyline pipe came with two, i already tore one spring up using needle nose pliers, is there another way? also, since it came with two springs, do i need to buy another one, or will one suffice? thanks
There is a tool called exhaust spring/caster clips tool.. It's a good idea to buy two of them and while someone holding the engine you hold spring at both ends and seat both spring ends in to the manifold at the same time without stressing one side more... last year I lost exhaust springs in every heat but this year with help of this tool don't worry about springs It's better to have two springs instead of only one

I don't know how you install your exhaust to the engine but it's better to put it on the engine before mounting engine on to the chassis not to put stress on exhaust springs...

hope this helps...

Asil
asil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #3188
Tech Regular

i just dont understand why they would use a screw that doesnt thread into the plastic rod holders in the linkage...i followed the directions using the correct 3x10 screw... #902310 are supposed to go through the #336400, and on through both #336400 and #336401, I understand that, but im frustrated that #902310 Hex Screw 3x10 is indeed long enough, but does not have the width to properly thread into 336400 and 336401 (Throttle and Break system set) im sitting looking at the car and the book right now...and using a nut and a longer screw might have to suffice as the solution, but its just gonna be a pain because its in a tight spot...im shocked because Xray usually fits together well...did anyone else have this problem? wow, this kit was trouble free until i got to this point...and they shorted me 2 screws that go into the composite radio case! lol

By the way, I got the engine manifold spring on with some luck and needle nose pliers...i might loose it when i fire this thing up, but i got an extra, i gotta get one of those pick tools!
Old 07-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #3189
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

BadKarma - I think from memory there was an error in the manual. The screws need to come up from underneath, through the linkage pivot and screw into the servo horn. If you look at page 31 of the manual, just take the screws and turn them upside down and it should make sense.
Teehomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #3190
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
I remember something like that, I think the instructions were wrong with the photo.. but the M3 bolts should thread into the throttle arm, not the lil triangle parts.. i Just looked at my two cars. Holding the servo horn upside down, the bolt passed through the lil triangle deals and then into the servo horn. I remember i reamed out my first servo arm cause the directions were wrong lol.. DONT DO THAT lol

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:34 AM   #3191
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

BadKarma the manual was incorrect

http://forum.teamxray.com/viewtopic....hlight=linkage
jelayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:38 AM   #3192
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

had the same problem with the throttle linkage set up.. i figured out run the screw from the bottom, through the plastic holders and screws into the servo saver, but not locked down.. plastic holders must be free moving not to cause linkage binding.

i had a low profile servo, and the servo saver was too low, so i reversed it, screw from the top, through the plastic holder and into the servo saver. from the side view of the car the linkages should be straight...

no need to ream or drill out anything.. make sure you thread the screw straight!!! perhaps thread the screw first before mounting....

hope this help...if this isnt enough, look on the cover of the instruction manual the pic of the car is more clear..
Old 07-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #3193
Tech Regular

ahhh, makes much more sense!! thanks, good looks guys...well on to problem number 2! lol well i totally destroyed the composite shock bodies while trying to thread the aluminum threads on....so im just gonna go head and buy some aluminum shocks...should I just buy the Xray aluminum option shocks? I heard somewhere on the forum that people were using Serpent Aluminum shocks...what are my options? what fits the car? let me know wassup...thanks!
Old 07-06-2008, 06:37 PM   #3194
Tech Elite

Quote:
ahhh, makes much more sense!! thanks, good looks guys...well on to problem number 2! lol well i totally destroyed the composite shock bodies while trying to thread the aluminum threads on....so im just gonna go head and buy some aluminum shocks...should I just buy the Xray aluminum option shocks? I heard somewhere on the forum that people were using Serpent Aluminum shocks...what are my options? what fits the car? let me know wassup...thanks!
That's a good question. I've also heard that not many people (including the team drivers) are using the aluminium shocks. Is that right?

British Menace
Old 07-06-2008, 08:03 PM   #3195
GK
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
That's a good question. I've also heard that not many people (including the team drivers) are using the aluminium shocks. Is that right?
British Menace
Most I've seen use composite shocks. I run both (if I run alu shocks, I like them in 1 O-ring configuration).
badKarma, you have to be careful threading the alu caps on, if it doesn't feel right the first 1/4 to 1/2 a turn, loosen it and try again. Nice thing about composite bodies is they're cheap, you'll get a set of 2 for ~7 bucks...
GK is offline   Reply With Quote