R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree6Likes

Old 06-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #3166
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
OK. NT1 Experts......

You've been asked a thousand times I know................here goes.
Time does not allow a thorough look into this thread's multitude of pages....sorry.

Once getting the NT1 (08) What upgrades help?
I'm interested in parts that will,
1. Lighten the drive train.
2. Replace parts which wear fast.
3. Help in set-up, maintenence or stiffness of the car.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
British Menace
Menace, there are tons of hop up parts you might consider. The 08 car comes with the CVDs so that's a good part to start with. If you're going for weight reduction in the drive train, try the light mid-shaft, the light flywheel, the light 2-speed transmission, light brake pulley, light clutch bell. I've got the Xray multidiff on my car and it's a fantastic piece of engineering since it's lightweight and I can set it in 1 of 3 modes, one-way, locked one-way, on-power locked+off-power one-way. If you want stiffness, try the carbon fiber battery tray, carbon fiber upper bumper plate, and one-piece engine mount (which you can adjust the stiffness of). For durability, try the aluminum wheel hexs and mid-pulley bearing holder.

On makers, for parts like the bumper plate, engine mount, wheel hexs, and battery tray I went 3Racing. The plate, mount, and tray are fine but I'm already having problems with one of the wheel hexs. The head on the screw is starting to strip. Looks like I'll have to swap it for XRay. For the multidiff light clutchbell, flywheel, and brake pulley I went Xray. The mid-shaft, YBSlow. For me, for critical drive train parts, I'd stick with Xray. The same for the chassis too. I'm not saying other makers don't make good parts but, at least with 3Racing, part quality has varied from fine to awful. Not enough consistency for me to trust it for critical parts.

For myself the one part I did not consider was the aluminum bulkhead stiffener, made by 3Racing. I've never seen this part made from aluminum before on any car. I would image the reason is that while carbon fiber (which is common for this part) flexes, aluminum will bend. This could introduce tweek into a car. Since I've never tried it I can't say that would happen with this part but the NT1 is built so well and drives great, even if the part had no issues, I find the car doesn't need it.

Good luck.

Rob
going4#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #3167
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

If it isn't Xray, its nothing at all
Old 06-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #3168
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten View Post
Locally I have the fewest option parts on my car and it is always the fastest NT1 at all regional tracks. When others were quick to buy option parts I was careful to watch for any improvement in the their cars or pace and in most cases they got slower or less consistent, none made anyone faster and most found their way back to the pitbox.

The aluminum shocks were probably the biggest let down for most of the guys about, 6-7 locals bought but they have all gone back to the plastics.

Mark
Again. Great information Mark. It's sometimes hard to say no to upgrades. Especially when they offer the bling factor... but when your racing, you want stuff that improves the handling, speed (Corner speed or acceleration/deceleration) or durability of the car.

So thanks for the information on all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-nicest View Post
In stock form with just rims on, my car was too light weighing in at around 1690g. The 08 comes with front CVD'S and rear Dogbone's. For some set-ups for 301 raceway you probably saw us running 40s tires up front and 45s in the rear. This is due to the way the lay out is, and to give the car more turn-in and corner speed. Many other chassis out there were running a large split for the same reason Xray's 80'000 diff oil feels more like a kyosho 40,000 or 30,000. The rates are different. Also, although Xray makes aluminum shocks, the stock shocks do work great and are very smooth. Many factory drivers are still running the plastics.
Interesting to hear about the plastic verses the aluminium shocks. I like the idea of the Aluminium and also the adjustability (1-4 holes!!) but as you and others have stated. It's probably only an improvement over the plastic ones as so far as durability.
And how many plastic shocks can you get for the price of the Aluminium ones...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfoolz View Post
I agree that most of the aftermarket hop-ups/option parts have don't little if nothing for the car. I even removed my own brand of carbon fiber parts. And as for the aluminum shocks, they are more for the durability issue, I had an incident in the last major race that took me from a qualifier that would have been in the top group, but the plastic shock got crushed. The aluminum would have probably held up.
Good to see the car is so good without having to spend hundreds of $ on upgrades to make the car competative!

I think the lightweight drive train parts are a good way to go though......if they do indeed offer weight savings worth the money spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by going4#1 View Post
Menace, there are tons of hop up parts you might consider. The 08 car comes with the CVDs so that's a good part to start with. If you're going for weight reduction in the drive train, try the light mid-shaft, the light flywheel, the light 2-speed transmission, light brake pulley, light clutch bell. I've got the Xray multidiff on my car and it's a fantastic piece of engineering since it's lightweight and I can set it in 1 of 3 modes, one-way, locked one-way, on-power locked+off-power one-way. If you want stiffness, try the carbon fiber battery tray, carbon fiber upper bumper plate, and one-piece engine mount (which you can adjust the stiffness of). For durability, try the aluminum wheel hexs and mid-pulley bearing holder.

On makers, for parts like the bumper plate, engine mount, wheel hexs, and battery tray I went 3Racing. The plate, mount, and tray are fine but I'm already having problems with one of the wheel hexs. The head on the screw is starting to strip. Looks like I'll have to swap it for XRay. For the multidiff light clutchbell, flywheel, and brake pulley I went Xray. The mid-shaft, YBSlow. For me, for critical drive train parts, I'd stick with Xray. The same for the chassis too. I'm not saying other makers don't make good parts but, at least with 3Racing, part quality has varied from fine to awful. Not enough consistency for me to trust it for critical parts.

For myself the one part I did not consider was the aluminum bulkhead stiffener, made by 3Racing. I've never seen this part made from aluminum before on any car. I would image the reason is that while carbon fiber (which is common for this part) flexes, aluminum will bend. This could introduce tweek into a car. Since I've never tried it I can't say that would happen with this part but the NT1 is built so well and drives great, even if the part had no issues, I find the car doesn't need it.

Good luck.

Rob

Thanks Rob.
Good info' again.

Like most cars and as Mark pointed out. You have to be careful you don't spend money on parts and upgrades that are not going to give you what you want.........talking of racing here.
Also. I have experience buying lightweight parts for my G4 and found it hard, in the end to get the car to legal weight???!

Are there good area's on the car to place weight(s) to bring a light car up to 1725g?
It sounds as though the car is a little light in stock condition. So if quite a few of the lightweight drive train parts are added, I may have to add a considerable amount of weight to get the car to 1725g (again.....lol!!!)

Mark.

Do you use the lightweight drive train parts on your car? Do you feel these give you an increase on performance?

Thanks all for the valuable info'. Changing "make" of car is always a hard decision I think. More so cause I've ran basically the same chassis for 7 years!!......lol

Regards,

British Menace
Old 06-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #3169
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

BM,

The only lightweight part on my car is the receiver pack and I only did that to lower the fuel tank.

I view the lightweight drive train parts as bling since they offer marginal savings at a high cost. With the overpowered engines we run these days I just don't see a few grams off the drive train making a visible difference. $10 worth of clutch shims to get that perfect engagement would go further than $200 worth of lightweight parts to improving acceleration.

The only option parts I use are the front CVDs that now come std in the 08 kit and the yellow clutch shoe(for longevity).

For Tuning parts I use:
  • Tuning springs in 20-35lb range, I typically run 22.5-28lb
  • Extra rear diff with 40K oil (kit diffs w/ 60K)
  • Multi-diff for tracks that favor a 1-way
  • 1deg steering blocks for smaller technical tracks that favor a diff.
  • pr of -.75 hexes to allow for even narrow front width when needed
  • Pinions & spurs to fit any track I will be racing

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:05 PM   #3170
Tech Regular

Default Hopups

Menace, my attitude toward hopups is basically they are part of the hobby and part of the fun. It's not only RC cars but just about anything from real cars, sports equipment, to interior decorating, to whatever, everyone basically gets bored of the same old thing no matter how good that thing is. Anyone who makes something for living knows to keep people interested in the product, you've got to keep it looking new. Once you can't do that, you come out with a new model or go out business.

In general there isn't any harm in hoping up your car although some hopups are crap and will unbalance your car so be careful. Don't add on every hopup you can buy on day 1. Start with a couple, drive for a while, then add on a few more and see what it does to the car. Starting with the car as close to base is a good idea I think but I certainly add on as I got more familiar with the car and how it drives. Even the bling parts aren't frivolous. They are a mark of personal style. It's your car. Do what you want to it. I've got alu wheel hexes. They don't improve lap times at all. They just look cool and cost about $10. I can afford $10 to make the car look good to me and it doesn't hurt my lap times.

If you don't already have one, my number one suggestion is to get a personal transponder if you run on a track with a lap timing system. That's my top choice. It turns the subjective (e.g. "feels better", "smoother", "jumpy", etc) into the objective (lap times).

Practise is what you need the most to be successful with the NT1. The transponder will tell you whether what you've done to your car is making it go faster or not.

Rob
Old 06-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #3171
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfoolz View Post
If it isn't Xray, its nothing at all
It's quality stuff for sure!!
Old 06-26-2008, 01:26 PM   #3172
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hey guys, I recently received a spare NT1 clutch to try out and noticed that people use an array of clutch springs. I have mostly seen msr springs and orion. I am gonna try out the MSR spring since i have a few laying around from my 1/8th scale days. So what tension should i use?
Hey BM!!!

Steve
Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #3173
GK
Suspended

MSR spring fits too tight around the flywheel nut...
GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #3174
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Does anyone do anything special to prevent front CVD's from breaking? Other than not hitting walls. They just tend to snap sometimes without hitting anything.

Chris Kemper
Osiris 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #3175
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
MSR spring fits too tight around the flywheel nut...
ohh, should i stick with the orion spring then? or??
Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #3176
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perez View Post
Steve I use the orion spring and yellow shoe almost all of the time.
POWER MASTER Fuel, 2mm Designs
Protoform Bodies, Avid Bearings, AMR Engines
YBSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #3177
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris 75 View Post
Does anyone do anything special to prevent front CVD's from breaking? Other than not hitting walls. They just tend to snap sometimes without hitting anything.
Are you using the spool ? Ever since I switched over to using a spool for all tracks, I notice I was going through front uni's alot more than if I were to use my one-way.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #3178
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Are you using the spool ? Ever since I switched over to using a spool for all tracks, I notice I was going through front uni's alot more than if I were to use my one-way.
I am using a spool. I've always used a spool and decided to try the kyosho uprights and cvd's because they are a little more sturdy. However, they have been snapping too!

Chris Kemper
Osiris 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:46 PM   #3179
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris 75 View Post
I am using a spool. I've always used a spool and decided to try the kyosho uprights and cvd's because they are a little more sturdy. However, they have been snapping too!
Are you using an after market spool (metal)? Or the stock plastic one? I use the standard stock plastic ones. If I tag the wall to hard I will actually "strip" the plastic front spool. I carry a few extra plastic stock spools. I would rather strip a $3.50 part then snap a $15-$20 part.

When you hit a wall one wheel may abruptly "stop" something and when this happens something is likely to break.
jk1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:44 AM   #3180
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perez View Post
The Orion is good. I prefer the JP Hard though. Definitely the yellow shoe unless traction is WAY down.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote