R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree7Likes

Old 02-06-2008, 02:02 AM   #2641
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to badKarma Send a message via Yahoo to badKarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten View Post
I've raced both motors and they each have their advantages. I found the TZ easier to tune for club level power and less sensitive to temp & humidity changes. The JL makes more power with better fuel millage but the stock carb can be temperamental in cooler weather.

Mark
well since you tune and retune every practice, qualifying, and race, how much of a difference would it make if the engine didnt hold a tune from the day to day? for someone running club and a few big races, how many engines are good to have? one in the car, one spare? also, how many race bodies will a club driver go through per season??
badKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:28 AM   #2642
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by badKarma View Post
well since you tune and retune every practice, qualifying, and race, how much of a difference would it make if the engine didnt hold a tune from the day to day? for someone running club and a few big races, how many engines are good to have? one in the car, one spare? also, how many race bodies will a club driver go through per season??
he didn't mean holding a tune from day to day some motors actually can be problematic where there tune is constantly changing while the car is on the track, at least thats what i think he means, I know i had this problem with MRT engines it was a carb issue.... As far as how many its alway good to have a motor in the box as a backup, even for the club guy......and as for bodies its really all about you and how much contact you going to make with everything else on the track, but its good to have a practice body, this body may be used in the qualifiers too by some and than it is always nice to have a good body for the mains....
Old 02-06-2008, 07:06 AM   #2643
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meronr View Post
he didn't mean holding a tune from day to day some motors actually can be problematic where there tune is constantly changing while the car is on the track, at least thats what i think he means, I know i had this problem with MRT engines it was a carb issue.... As far as how many its alway good to have a motor in the box as a backup, even for the club guy......and as for bodies its really all about you and how much contact you going to make with everything else on the track, but its good to have a practice body, this body may be used in the qualifiers too by some and than it is always nice to have a good body for the mains....
ok, so when i feel its time for me to race, should I just try to by another engine, and keep the new one as the backup? yeah, i had a feeling i was gonna have to keep a few bodies around!!
Old 02-06-2008, 02:01 PM   #2644
Tech Regular

Quote:
ok, so when i feel its time for me to race, should I just try to by another engine, and keep the new one as the backup? yeah, i had a feeling i was gonna have to keep a few bodies around!!
Basically there is two schools those that just come to the track with the motor in the car and if it goes their day is done or they'll try and buy a motor off someone at the track..The later i am not crazy about doing. Than there are guys like me that have a back up engine that is either brand new (wich means than you got to spend the rest of the day breaking in a motor, not good for race day) or a motor that is new and has just been broken in and ready to go when needed...
Old 02-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #2645
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Thumbs up

I've had the same backup motor for 2yrs. now let my friend use it year ago because his motor broke an he place 3rd with my motor it's not the fastest but it get's the job done so always keep you a backup motor that would be my advice to you.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #2646
Tech Regular

so should the back up motor be the same as the race motor or a different brand? once an engine is broken in, how long can it sit before it goes bad? what type of mateinence needs to be done on the back up?

when driving the NT1, what percent do most of yall set your throttle servo EPA to on the acceleration side? i heard that some people only use 60% because the motors are powerful and track considerations....
Old 02-06-2008, 06:37 PM   #2647
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Back up motor really depends on your budget its nice to have the same engine if you like, as for storing your back-up if you break it in then just make sure it has no condensation in it put some after run in and keep it till you need it. Your epa ? until you set up your radio and servos you'll adjust it as you see
Old 02-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #2648
Tech Champion

hey there friends..

for me i kept aside 2 range of engines,1 for hispeed and 1 for technical track.just takecare of normal servicing and bearings replacement.

currently my run is sirio evo3 and evo4.very good engines and performs very well!
MAVICXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:23 AM   #2649
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

My spare engine is the same as my race engine, but that was not by design but due to being offered the same engine at a good price. I bought it second hand from a racer at my local track - I knew it had been looked after and had the benefit of already being broken in. Using the same engine engine as a spare can also help with clutch setup which I find the biggest hassle of trying to get the spare engine up and running. The alternative is to buy a second complete clutch and engine mount set and spend time setting it up and meshing it before raceday. Depending on how serious you are you then have the option of rotating the engines through your car just to keep an eye on their tune and clutch setup.

Mind you, the price of a second car as a complete running spare starts to look attractive when you start to factor in cost and lost time. It still gives you the option to butcher it for the odd spare as required on race day.
Teehomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:58 AM   #2650
Tech Regular

Teehomo, how is that O.S TZ .12 treating you in the NT1?
Old 02-07-2008, 05:06 AM   #2651
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I've been very happy with it. Very easy to tune, and very forgiving if you are not a whiz with the screwdriver. I had a JP Black Case that was for all intents and purposes a much faster engine, but I could not get it to run reliably. It would let me down in the mains time and again. The OS has been absolutley rock solid - I can highly recommend it especially if you are just starting out or getting back into it after a lay off. Dependable is probably the word I am looking for. Still fast enough to get me into trouble too....
Teehomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #2652
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
so should the back up motor be the same as the race motor or a different brand? once an engine is broken in, how long can it sit before it goes bad? what type of mateinence needs to be done on the back up?

when driving the NT1, what percent do most of yall set your throttle servo EPA to on the acceleration side? i heard that some people only use 60% because the motors are powerful and track considerations....

Back up motor is all about budget and ideally should be the same as your race motor. Any spare motor is better than dropping out due to failure but if has a different powerband you are unlikely to have sufficient time to adjust clutch, gearing and tune in the event of a failure. My budget is small so what I have for a backup is last seasons motor, its not the best option but its the best I can afford.

Set your throttle epa so that the carb doesn't fully open until the trigger is fully depressed and leave it. If you have more power than you need which will often be the case simply use clutch, gearing and most importantly your finger to keep it under control. You may also opt to tune your motor more conservatively when power and runtime are not an issue to reduce power and wear.

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:40 AM   #2653
Tech Regular

To all the NT1 guys that will at the Winternat this week, good luck
Old 02-08-2008, 11:40 AM   #2654
Tech Initiate

Does anyone have any info about these?:
http://nexusracing.net/product_info....oducts_id=1679

A new steering block??
JHIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #2655
Tech Regular

does anyone know the maximum weight allowed for 1/10th gas touring in ROAR?