R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #46
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spook
I've been racing for 3 years, and have never seen a track from the drivers stand, thanks to a spinal cord injury. I have to sit under the drivers stand in my chair. No one said breaking your back is easy though.
Track 301 in Maryland has a ramp intead of stairs for it's 20 foot tall drivers stand and a place for wheelchairs, check out their thread....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=98754
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:17 PM   #47
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
Track 301 in Maryland has a ramp intead of stairs for it's 20 foot tall drivers stand and a place for wheelchairs, check out their thread....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=98754

Thank you for answering that for me and here is the page that shows what Nova, is talking about. Just scroll down the page a little bit. Again thank and see you this spring.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...&page=31&pp=30
Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:39 PM   #48
Tech Master

I'm in the same situation as you and the people that own the track I race at put in access without my even having to ask. I even raced at the WinterNats in Ft.Myers, FL and the next year I came back they had rebuilt their entire stand making it one of the best tracks I've evr been to. The owners of 301 came and saw our local track, the Sugarbowl,near Atlanta before building their trrack and I plan on racing there someday. Most big events, if you tell them beforehand, will make things accessible, you just need to speak up.

You have to have some understanding of how uncomfortable it feels for a person in a wheelchair to be lifted... after years of seeing things from 4 feet off the ground, it it VERY uncomfortable to be lifted, I get dizzy and feel like I'm SO (like on drugs) HIGH!! Plus, there are real problems that can arise should you be dropped. Bruises just don't heal on a paraplegic like they do on a regular body. I have been in and out of the hospital and bed ridden for 2, going on 3 years now because of a couple of falls. That's why when someone like Kissimmee Racewway says, "we can't afford a ramp" we can carry you up, is just not acceptable.

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #49
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by theRED5
I'm in the same situation as you and the people that own the track I race at put in access without my even having to ask. I even raced at the WinterNats in Ft.Myers, FL and the next year I came back they had rebuilt their entire stand making it one of the best tracks I've evr been to. The owners of 301 came and saw our local track, the Sugarbowl,near Atlanta before building their trrack and I plan on racing there someday. Most big events, if you tell them beforehand, will make things accessible, you just need to speak up.

You have to have some understanding of how uncomfortable it feels for a person in a wheelchair to be lifted... after years of seeing things from 4 feet off the ground, it it VERY uncomfortable to be lifted, I get dizzy and feel like I'm SO (like on drugs) HIGH!! Plus, there are real problems that can arise should you be dropped. Bruises just don't heal on a paraplegic like they do on a regular body. I have been in and out of the hospital and bed ridden for 2, going on 3 years now because of a couple of falls. That's why when someone like Kissimmee Racewway says, "we can't afford a ramp" we can carry you up, is just not acceptable.

Hey Chuck this is Chris, hope all is well and hopefully I will see you at the "bowl" this summer.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:01 PM   #50
Tech Master

Hey Chris,
Things are taking much more time than I ever thought they would, but I'm always progressing. I just may make it up there before you get down here

Good show at the WinterNats this past weeks, I still lurk around here.

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hey Chris,
Things are taking much more time than I ever thought they would, but I'm always progressing. I just may make it up there before you get down here

Great Chuck, tell the wife hello. See you soon my friend.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:18 PM   #52
Tech Adept

I live in Australia. There's only 3 tracks over here that have wheelchair access, and there all over 1000km from where I live. My local track has been trying hard for 4 years to get the local council to fund access.
Not one track in my state has wheelchair access, and in this day and age, unaccessable is unacceptable
spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:18 PM   #53
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I for one cant stand the guys the lean over to talk to the pit-man. It would be much better to get off the stand if your car is that bad and just fix it yourself.

The remotes that are at eye level of the driver is another thing, if you need a special spot to stand get on the stand early enough prior to your race and also let the driver that is next to you know that you hold your radio up high, so if he gets the chance or has the opportunity to move he can if need be.

Screaming at a marshall will only get laps from our club this year this will be in the bylaws from this season and beyond.

Starting your car on or tuning your car on the stand is also a NO NO AHH HELL NO !!!! It is not only distracting but it disturbs all the drivers on the stand and will cost drivers a qualifier this year in our club. NO IF ANDS OR BUTTS... If your pit man cant start the car there is obviously something wrong and the stand is not the place to solve it.......

Stomping or screaming because you crashed or broke should also be a violation and cost violators a heavy fine (3-5 Laps)....

I think I have a few more

dancers
leaner's
screamers
Freq. Hogging

"Failure Is Not An Option"
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:18 AM   #54
Tech Adept

No offense,, but the last thing any driver would ever need is someone talking out loud. Imagine if it was radio.. ??

It's true !! Nomadio radios talk back to the driver. The announce temperature, speed, and etc.. out loud. How annoying would that be?? I bet you if I was standing on the drivers stand fully consentrated on my car and thing starts to talk out loud with that ridiculous female voice,, I would jump up, grab that stupid radio, and toss it in the middle of the track..

I wonder if this radio is even legal to be used in IFMAR sanctioned events. Shouldn't there be a rule regarding this matter??
nitro_moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:19 AM   #55

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_moe
No offense,, but the last thing any driver would ever need is someone talking out loud. Imagine if it was radio.. ??

It's true !! Nomadio radios talk back to the driver. The announce temperature, speed, and etc.. out loud. How annoying would that be?? I bet you if I was standing on the drivers stand fully consentrated on my car and thing starts to talk out loud with that ridiculous female voice,, I would jump up, grab that stupid radio, and toss it in the middle of the track..

I wonder if this radio is even legal to be used in IFMAR sanctioned events. Shouldn't there be a rule regarding this matter??
Does it actually talk out loud with a speaker or does it require a headphone. I know some use headphones so they can actually hear since it would be near impossible to hear during a nitro race.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:33 AM   #56
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm pretty sure it takes headphones.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:33 AM   #57
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Hey Chris,

Trust me when I say this, the drivers stand at 301 is the best or one of the best at any track. 20 drivers can be on the stand and have plenty of elbow room. They have a spot for wheelchair racers that can see the whole track.
Something a lot of other tracks should talke a look at and learn....

We in the DC area have gotton spoiled by the 301 crew.... The only thing they can do to make it better would be putting a roof over it so we can every day of the year and not worry about the weather!

An indoors nitro track, 68 drgrees.... 1/8 scale screming down the 270 foot straightaway.... Yeah... I could get used to that!!!!!!
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:45 PM   #58
Tech Elite

Talking

You had mentioned Nomadio radios talking. Well, yes they do. The volume that the voice comes out is not audible while cars are flying around. I use the vibration alarms that make no sound. You can program the things so noise from the transmitter is minimal. You won't hear much if you are focusing on your race anyway.
About people who have tantrums at the drivers stand, I hate those people with a passion. There are a few guys who I run with that have those tantrums. Screaming and cursing doesn't do much good. On the other hand if you have a bad marshall that doesn't look at his corner and your car is in the wrong direction, it is very hard not to say anything. We all have had that happen to us!
Drivers Stand
I go to 301 from PA all the time during the summer. Their drivers stand is one of the best that I have driven from. You can see every part of the track with ease! Plenty of room. Many of the guys that race there could be the defensive line of any NFL team. Good room! Chris and his advisors did their homework when they made that stand. Wheelchair access is there. He has a ramp that goes up twenty feet to the stand. Everybody uses that ramp.
The guys in Brooklyn have a nice stand also!

I used to live in that area... I'm thinking about going back because of that track!!
Old 02-27-2007, 03:57 AM   #59
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Does it actually talk out loud with a speaker or does it require a headphone. I know some use headphones so they can actually hear since it would be near impossible to hear during a nitro race.
I don't know much about the new Nomadio React, but I know for a fact that the Sensor talks out loud and I don't think it uses a headphone.

Besides, why create a feature you will be hardly ever benefiting from during a race like the talk out loud feature.. I simply think it's a waste of R&D time and money.. It's ridiculious
nitro_moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #60
Tech Adept

OK heres one for you guys, I was racing and believed myself to be one of the slower guys, they gridded the cars and one bogged on start, so got left behind, like 3rd corner this guy lines me up when I hugged the corner and was on the inside of the track, and as such was going slower as I drove out he apexed it and turned into me belting me in the rear, I turned and smacked into another car taking the two of us out, I just walked away quite disgusted at that display to be honest, did I do something wrong, the way it looked to me he turned into me on the back straight, maybe you had to be there, what should I have done?
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote