R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-12-2006, 10:04 PM   #31
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What about a Kyosho FW-05T+. I know the radio's in them are a bit crap, but the rest of the car is pretty good.
turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:11 AM   #32
Tech Initiate

So can someone kind of spell out what i will need to do when i change the radio, as in what that process entails as far as the car goes? Just swap out the reciever in the car with the one that comes with the radio and thats it?
mxsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:18 AM   #33
Tech Initiate

On the topic of radios, my dad has a DX2, the pistol grip one? And to be honest he hasn't looked back since switching to a 3PK with spektrum not only does the 3PK feel better the number of features makes the DX2 look pathetic.

just my 2c[/QUOTE]

But doesn't the Futaba 3PK cost QUITE a bit more than the Spektrum DX2?

Something like $379 for the 3pk and $169 for the DX2.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:55 AM   #34
Tech Adept

Ok, msxs...

radio/servos - if you get the G4 RTR, it will come with futaba servos that work just fine. yes, if you decide that you want to get serious about racing and need to shave off that last .01 of a second to qualify, then you will want to change your servos out for something a little faster.
however, getting to that point - the point where you're so consistant that your steering servo is holding you back - is a long road and will not happen overnight.

The DX2.0 is what i have, which is basically the same thing as the DX2, just slight redesign on the shell, I think its the most comfortable one i've ever held, but it's up to you and what you think is cozy. It will come with 2 servos, assuming you buy it brand new in the box. I still have my servos in the box, as the futaba's have been fine for me.

changing out the receiver is not that big of a deal, comparitively speaking. It will require that you take the old receiver out, remove the servo and battery wires (little plugs) insert the new receiver, put the wires back in, run the antennae wire and close it all up. all together, on my G4 it took about 30 minutes...

and i was drunk.

again, the title of this thread is 'best nitro RTR for competitive racing' and I have to reiterate; the Team Magic G4 RTR is leaps and bounds ahead of everything else on the market.

you have to remember, that RTR's arent designed to be as competitive as the kits are and you're not going to win the nationals with one.

what you want is something that will work for you - something that you can learn to tune your engine, suspension, etc... something that is durable enough to allow a few slip ups (read: walls for lunch) and something that you can learn to drive fast on a track with.

understand that you will eventually be purchasing upgraded parts, or a new car as a whole, once you feel comfortable in your RTR and need new parts to go faster. You should pick a car that will allow you to add parts to it in the future, as well as be a good 'trainer car' while its stock.

make sense?

when you consider all these categories, there is really only one choice out there, and it starts with a 'G' and ends with a '4'

I can guarantee, if you get the G4, that you will not be dissapointed.

The G4S RTR has a great engine, a great pipe and a platform that begs to be hopped up... with the eventual purchase of a G4S upgrade kit, (about $189) it will be as competitive as almost anything else on the track.

hope this helps!
schufflerbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:23 AM   #35
Tech Initiate

Wow, that's exactly the info i was looking for. Thanks a lot for that advice there! So it looks like my choices will be the G4S RTR and a Spektrum DX2. Thanks to everyone for making this such an informative post and making seemingly confusing choices extremely easy for the beginner.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:45 AM   #36
Tech Adept

anytime - cant wait to see pics of your new ride!
Old 12-18-2006, 02:51 PM   #37
Tech Initiate

Hey guys, getting closer and closer to this whole deal. I have one more question. Does the G4S RTR kit come with EVERYTHING needed for the complete newbie such as myself? Such as the equipment to start the motor etc? Or is it just the car and transmitter? I would hate to order the car and then find out later i have to order the equipment to start it. thanks in advance
Old 12-18-2006, 04:54 PM   #38
Tech Fanatic

This is a Weblink to an on-line shop that carries the G4S RTR... From the looks of things, you're going to need a starter box... That's not a bad thing nor a bad investment... Overall, the kit looks very nice and upgrades and parts are easy to get... Good luck..

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=21689

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:53 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I have to agree that was a very informative post (Kudos). I wish this car was around when I was struggling with my FT ntc3. Nonetheless I hope you enjoy your new car. Just pull over to the side when I pass you with my mtx-4 (hehe).
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:42 PM   #40
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsx
Hey guys, getting closer and closer to this whole deal. I have one more question. Does the G4S RTR kit come with EVERYTHING needed for the complete newbie such as myself? Such as the equipment to start the motor etc? Or is it just the car and transmitter? I would hate to order the car and then find out later i have to order the equipment to start it. thanks in advance

The G4S RTR is going to come with the car itself, preassembled and ready to go and the radio.

you WILL need some basic parts to get any car started, including:

starter box: any one will do, really as long as it fits on road 1:10 cars

soft fuel bottle: about $5-8 on average, this is to get the fuel from the big bottle into your fuel tank on the car without dousing your G4 in nitro.

glow plug starter: this warms the glowplug and allows the engine to start, much like the glowplug on a diesel engine.

bottle of fuel: I use 30% nitro in my .15 engine, but had to add a head shim to run 30%. most start off equipped for 20%, as far as I know.

AA batteries: to go in the transmitter.

battery charger: you will need this to charge your batteries inside the car itself.

I got lucky in that a friend already had most of this stuff and I havent had to purchase my own yet. check this link, I believe everything you need will be on there. Send an email to Sam at raceday, he's very good people and will take care of you. Let him know you're a total n00b and he will make sure you have everything you need.

It's getting closer! are you excited yet?