R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-12-2006, 12:30 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Have to agree with D ,the G4S RTR is the only spec legal RTR available for club racing ,it conforms to ROAR/EFRA/IFMAR rules.
Does not come with some cheap radio ,it comes with a Futaba system with dual rates,EPA etc.
If you enjoy the car and racing ,the car can be upgraded into full spec comp version with no real hassles.
Only other RTR kit that comes close is the 710 RTR but I think they have been discontinued.

My 2 cents.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:03 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teehomo
I have no experience with the Traxas or Ofna, although a guy at my track swears by his CD3 and turns to it whenever he has problems with his V1RRR and MTX-3. By all reports, they are also easy to drive and easy to setup.
I thought that sounded familiar

I've driven the CD3 before and its a perfectly capable car my only complaint was it had so much torque steer! Chunked tyres dont even effect the CD3's handling
Old 12-12-2006, 01:32 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yep, the Team Willard Racing CD3 certainly looks planted - sticks like the proverbial s#!t to a blanket
Teehomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:50 AM   #19
Tech Initiate

thanks for all the excellent advice from everyone. Does anyone know if the G4S RTR Futaba radio that comes in the package is an FM or AM radio? Also, from the two posts above, seems like some people like the Ofna CD3, does it compare well with the G4S or is the G4s definitely the more solid choice (seems like it bus just asking anyway). Another thing, as far as building a Mugen myself and having to buy a radio and decent motor and servos for starting off with, what do you guys think that would run me in the end?
mxsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:30 AM   #20
Tech Adept

The CD3 is definately a capable car
Delta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:32 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsx
thanks for all the excellent advice from everyone. Does anyone know if the G4S RTR Futaba radio that comes in the package is an FM or AM radio? Also, from the two posts above, seems like some people like the Ofna CD3, does it compare well with the G4S or is the G4s definitely the more solid choice (seems like it bus just asking anyway). Another thing, as far as building a Mugen myself and having to buy a radio and decent motor and servos for starting off with, what do you guys think that would run me in the end?
In my opinion, you cannot do better than the Team Magic brand, regardless of the model. I have not personally tried the G4S RTR, but I do have a G4S, upgraded from the Le Mans RTR and I have to tell you, 'wow.'

I cannot count the number of times people have come up to me and complimented my car, asked 'who makes it?' and just generally drooled over the performance of an RTR.

I have run this car into a couple of walls and, as BIGTACO pointed out, it's very durable, providing valuable security for someone getting into track racing.

As far as the radio, the Team Magic G4S RTR comes with a Futaba MJ 2 channel transmitter (AM) and small receiver, the same is included in the Le Mans RTR kit

Regardless, this is something you will want to change ASAP to insure that you wont be running your new $500 kit into a wall.

I went with the Spektrum DX 2.0 system and have not had a single problem with it. Nor has anyone else I know who uses the Spektrum technology, now that I think about it. I got mine for about $169 and found an offer for free shipping as well.

Good luck in your RTR hunt, I hope this info helps!
schufflerbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:12 AM   #22
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by schufflerbot
In my opinion, you cannot do better than the Team Magic brand, regardless of the model. I have not personally tried the G4S RTR, but I do have a G4S, upgraded from the Le Mans RTR and I have to tell you, 'wow.'

I cannot count the number of times people have come up to me and complimented my car, asked 'who makes it?' and just generally drooled over the performance of an RTR.

I have run this car into a couple of walls and, as BIGTACO pointed out, it's very durable, providing valuable security for someone getting into track racing.

As far as the radio, the Team Magic G4S RTR comes with a Futaba MJ 2 channel transmitter (AM) and small receiver, the same is included in the Le Mans RTR kit

Regardless, this is something you will want to change ASAP to insure that you wont be running your new $500 kit into a wall.

I went with the Spektrum DX 2.0 system and have not had a single problem with it. Nor has anyone else I know who uses the Spektrum technology, now that I think about it. I got mine for about $169 and found an offer for free shipping as well.

Good luck in your RTR hunt, I hope this info helps!

Hey, so i should just swap out the Trasmitter with a Futaba or Spektrum? No problem. Are you certain the new G4S comes with AM?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:18 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yes, this radio in the pic is the megatec junior (MJ)
it is an AM radio that i have owned previously.
while it is a better radio than you get in most rtrs, its always better to upgrade when you can afford it
Old 12-12-2006, 09:04 AM   #24
Tech Initiate

Do i need to look for a radio with servos? Or just a radio and reciever? Should it be a 2 channel or is 3 channel better? What is the advantages? Can someone post some links to what i should look at getting? And also what is necessary when switching to a different radio? Such as if i will need to change the reviever, servos etc?
Old 12-12-2006, 12:45 PM   #25
Tech Apprentice

The nicest thing of the spektrum kit is that the servo's are way better than the std rtr servo's. Spektrum dx2 should do fine. You'll get a 3 port receiver with radio.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:02 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The G4s RTR Radio is a basic AM radio. The ofna is a solid basher but no where near the racer the G4s is.

Price wise if you can afford a decent setup now the best way to go, figure on spending around 1k for a serious G4S racer setup or $1200 for a Mugen or Kyosho ride. If you can afford it the best thing would be to buy the special G4S package raceday sells with the G4S kit, mega motor, & skyline pipe for just under $600. Figure on spending another $350 for a top radio & needed servos and about 50-100 for a starter box, fuel bottle, & glow ignighter.

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:17 PM   #27
Tech Initiate

So basically when i buy the radio, i will be looking to change out the servos in the car as well. Is there another option i can get without haing to swap servos? Simply just an FM radio and reciever? How much does the Spektrum run for?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:23 PM   #28
Tech Initiate

Okay seems like the spectrum dx2 runs for around $169. Do most of you recommend that? Seems like i will put that on my list. And another thing, is it possible for me to race at all with the AM radio just untill i can order the spektrum?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:03 PM   #29
Tech Adept

As far as radio goes. The Spektrum DX2 would be a good upgrade. Spektrum elimintates alot of hassle at the race track. I don't particularly like the way it feels in my hand, but everyone is different.

Yes, you could race on an AM channel (though I would check where you are going to race at). There are limitations to AM channel when racing though. First is you only have 6 channels to choose from (generally if you are last qualifier, you have to change frequencies if someone else is on it). Second is AM is more prone to glitches from the environment (ie. you're more likely to have problems with your car acting strangely for no apparent reason). Just bare that in mind. FM in general doesn't have these problems that often.

The only servo I would recommend changing (when you can afford it) is your steering servo. You generally need something fairly quick, so that you are not waiting on the car to turn. Futaba has a decent cheap digital servo in it's lineup.

You could probably pick up a G4 kit, radio, steering servo, engine for probably about $700 to $800 depending on what you get. Don't go crazy with full out race engines when first starting. I normally run Novarossi based engines, but I generally recommend an OS engine for beginners and those on a budget (you can get a OS TZ motor for less than $200 and it's a decent motor at that).
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:55 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teehomo
Yep, the Team Willard Racing CD3 certainly looks planted - sticks like the proverbial s#!t to a blanket

Dead set!! I think you've been talking to dad too often he uses that saying aswell!

On the topic of radios, my dad has a DX2, the pistol grip one? And to be honest he hasn't looked back since switching to a 3PK with spektrum not only does the 3PK feel better the number of features makes the DX2 look pathetic.

just my 2c