R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-04-2006, 12:10 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default oversteering problems...

I run on 1/8th rally game asphalt races and i have a problem with my setup.

At high speed turns when i throttle it it pushes out(understeer) a little which is what i like(i hate oversteer).At slow turns if i have some speed on them(if i can) and blip the throttle it turns fine without oversteering.
Now if the turn is 180 degree and slow most of the times when i blip the throttle it oversteers like crazy.
Another thing i want to add is that if i enter the turn and i'm on light throttle it still oversteers.It seems to prefer blipping the throttle and not going smooth.
If i'm cruizing down the straigh and let off the throttle and try to turn it oversteers again.
It seems like it needs to be powered on to keep that end on track.
My setup is:
100wt shock oil
with very stiff springs(if i go soft it seems more like a boat to me than a car)
50000/100000/5000 diff oil F/C/R
3 degree toe in on the rear and 0.5 toe in on the front.
around 12 degrees caster
and camber is set for even tire wear
vti-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:55 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You want the rear tires to cone some ( smaller dia. on the inside ) for more rear traction. Do you have any drag brake set in the car? Is there anything tight in the car like a small rock in a belt or bad bearing?
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:46 AM   #3
Tech Master

I run rally game races,we use rubber tires and mine it's a hobao hyper 7(shaft driven) lowered for on-road use.
I also use hong nor rally game springs which are stiffer than off-road.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:55 AM   #4
Tech Adept

adjust your rear toe in, try about 1.5 to 2.0 toe in.
also adjust your castor, do a run with less(7-9) and do a run with more(15-17)
AKSHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:36 AM   #5
Tech Master

If i increase the caster to more than 12 degrees say around 17 it will understeer a lot.
Although i haven't tried it with less toe-in in the rear.

Another thing with more caster is that the tires will wear out unevenly.

What's the max caster i can run on on-road cars?
And what's the max rear toe-in?

In general my initial turn in now isn't very good it understeers a little but on the exit of the turn and when this turn is a slow one it will oversteer.
On fast turns it also understeers when entering but it doesn't oversteer when i keep on the throttle.
But if i let go of the throttle while in the middle of the turn it oversteers.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:55 AM   #6
Tech Adept

rear toe in greatly affects the steering of the car, it depends whether or not your on power or off power.
like i said, i dont have the answer to your problem, but if you do some testing , im sure you will be bale to notice the difference when you make your changes.
for example, adjust your castor so its maxxed out, then try a few laps, see what the car does, then try it the opposite way and see what it does.
i would say that if your car is oversteering out of a turn, then try more toe in on the rear.
dont go more than 5 degrees, if it doesnt do what you want then go to 1 or 2 degrees of toe in, then see what happens.im not an expert at set-up, i dont know anyone that is, its mainly trial and error that usually works the best.
good luck!
AKSHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:28 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

You might want to try a little heavier oil in the rear diff. Maybe go up to 10K. Just like AKSHUN said, there is a lot of trial and error, but this is how we learn. Softer rear springs should add grip to the rear as well. Or harder fronts. Remember that set up is a comprimise, when you improve one area you might loose in another area. Also try different shock mount locations. Try and lay the rear shocks at more of an angle. Different rear tires or a softer compound will also help. I never ran rally before. You have a bigger balance to find since you are probably running dirt and asphault, smooth and bumpy.

I suggest to try one thing at a time, and even go to extremes to feel the difference easier, then back it off a bit. It takes a bit of time, but you will learn you car very well. Also, try different amounts of brake to the front and rear if you have twin brakes.

You mentioned that you adjust camber for full contact, does this mean full contact on the straights or the corners? I would add a little bit of negatiive camber to the rear for more grip in the corners. Good luck!