Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-02-2006, 09:53 AM   #16
moy
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotmatrix
is it gonna work on mega 21 too?
yah they say it works on any .21 engines,exept +35(removing) installing ok...
moy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:03 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Im currently using the JP bearing remover and installer tools, this is by far, the best stuff on the market. you pay a little more but it works very well.
I figure, for the price of engines these days and the constant maintenance, its wise to spend the extra money and have it work consistently year after year, as opposed to saving $50 buying and ofna which is cheap and break down within the first season.
same goes with any tools for RC, Hudy, Mugen, Titan, all high quality stuff, i think most of the pro drivers will tell you the same.
AKSHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:21 AM   #18
Tech Adept

while the cost of the bearing tools are expensive, look at the cost of the 500-700 dollar engine you are working on.

the ofna tool will get the job done but its extremely hard on the balls as its installing, essentially you can put small dents on the face of the balls of that new bearing you just purchased.

it the case is heated up and the aluminum of the case expands a little it will helpin preventing this from happening, but if you are looking to do the job right, the tools i have mentioned are by far the best.

again, just my 2 cents

good luck to all on your choices
dremelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:33 AM   #19
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Dynamite

with the JP and RB stuff this is a question regarding .12's do they fit and work with 12mm bearings for the likes of sirio/OS's/ Piccos etc, or just for the 11.5mm bearings nova use?

i would imagine the back bearings would work for all?
Old 12-13-2006, 10:49 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just got the bearing puller 2 days ago. that stuff work awesome for my .21 engine and cost only around $50
dotmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:21 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremelboy

the ofna tool will get the job done but its extremely hard on the balls as its installing, essentially you can put small dents on the face of the balls of that new bearing you just purchased.

I bought one of the Ofna tools on a whim and it will definitely get the bearings in and out at the price quoted above. But the tools listed by JP, NR and RB dont necessarily get you out of the woods. The pressing action of those tools, while better than the hammering of the Ofna, can still create flat spots on balls and races. All of these tools violate one of the cardinal sins of installing or removing roller element bearings.....never apply pressure to the inner race!! Another problem with any of these pullers is the potential to remove or displace case material at the outer race. The fit between the outer race and the case is a designed resistance fit that is best not disturbed. For these reasons, when I replace bearings I always go ahead and heat the case ( no more than 350 deg ) and allow the bearings to drop out. I use a Smith Victor TL2 Torch Lamp to heat my cases using a IR temp gun to monitor the temp. The TL2 is portable enough that it could be used track side (110v) if desired although if i have this kind of problem at the track, I just put in another bullet and deal with bad bearings at the shop.
P2gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:54 AM   #22
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2gee View Post
I use a Smith Victor TL2 Torch Lamp to heat my cases using a IR temp gun to monitor the temp. The TL2 is portable enough that it could be used track side (110v) if desired .
Forgive me but I have just googled the lamp you mention and it does not come up as 110 volt.

Can you clarify for us please??

(I have just checked it out again and the page I googled was wrong. It shows a torch..Doh

I now have found the lamp you mention. It sure looks useful;

Last edited by ukracer; 08-01-2009 at 06:47 AM.
ukracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:57 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

tagged for future
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #24
Tech Adept

JVStrat is offline   Reply With Quote