R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-28-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
TNC
Tech Rookie

Default OS 12 TZ "Speed Tuned" OR Murnan OS 12 TZ OR Sirio EVO III T3-E???

[email protected],

i've been around this board for quite a long time now and already read the whole threads about Murnan Modified Motors and all the other threads about competition engines.

I recently just bought a Associated Nitro TC3 Factory Team Kit and tried to find the right engine for it, so i got myself a Sirio EVO III T3-E which is still new in box and has never been used.

After reading about the Murnan Engines and the OS 12 TZ "Speed Tuned" Engine, i'm beginning to think about trading the engine and get another one or just let it being modified by Mr. Murnan.

So i'll have 3 options right now:

- Sirio EVO III T3-E (to let it being modfied by Murnan)
- OS 12 TZ Speed Tuned
- Murnan OS 12 TZ

Which engine is the most powerful out of these 3?

Tower sells the Speed Tuned TZ for 379.99$.
The Murnan TZ goes for 349.99$.

I payed 200$ for the stock EVO III T3-E and would probably have to spend another 125$ to let it modified by Murnan.

I would appreciate if someone could help me with my decision.

Greetings from Germany.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:18 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I know this engine isn't in the 3 that you listed but I have been so happy with mine I thought I would try and sway you. I run the Novarossi Plus 12-3CT. This is the fastest engine I have seen at our track thus far. It is so ballistic that I often have people at the track come up to me after repeatedly watching me pass or catch them on the back straight and say things like, "dude, what engine is that??". Its a Novarossi so you know its going to outlast most engines. Best of all its super easy to tune. It responds to your adjustments well and actually holds a tune. I got mine in stock trim for 300 at Murnan Mods. He also sells the modded version for a bit more. Do yourself a favor...buy one.
RC Planes
Real Car: 2003 Corvette C5 Z06 Millenium yellow
BIGTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
Tech Addict

stick with your sirio EVO T3 for now then get a sirio STI if you want to go ballistic!
i did that and the difference in speed was huge.
ae_ntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:00 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Sirio all the way..

Chris Kemper
Osiris 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Murnan Mod Nova Plus 12-3CT

Sirio good if you are expert tuner...I'd still go with the Nova
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:04 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, you can go with people's opinion's or go with results. I watched probably every good motor out there race against each other at the GLC. And, there's no huge difference in speed, only driver skill. But, the guy that won had an OS Speed 12TZ which is why I bought one for next year.

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:56 AM   #7
TNC
Tech Rookie

This is what Mr. Murnan actually said:

Actually for the NTC3 the Sirio is the absolute best engine for that car and pipe. Barry Baker ran one of my sirio's with great success, and still thinks it was the fastest engine in the NTC3. The engine just likes that pipe (Factory Team Dual-Chamber Pipe).

So what do you think. Will a Murnan modified EVO III T3-E with Ceramic Bearings outperform the Murnan TZ and the TZ Speed Tuned?

I know that the driving skills count more than the gain of performance in modifying an engine.

But i usually don't spend that much money on an engine. So this time, i just want the best for the money.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:04 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Default New Car

I assume you are fairly new to the whole scene so I would start by saying that you should probably not waste your time putting a super fast engine in a car that is almost 4years old.

Second save your money and get a newer car that is out on the market such as Mugen, Serpent, Etc.....

If money is no question, then who gives a *&^% !!! Put in whatever you want, however, if your going to race, the car may not be as competitive as you would like no matter what engine you put in it.

In fact you will probably end up buying more parts for the TC# then you would like !!!

2 Cents
JABRONI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:36 PM   #9
TNC
Tech Rookie

Hi jabroni,

i'm just new to Nitro Touring Car.

I've been spending the last years racing 1/10 Electro TC and just changed to Nitro TC.

You're right that the NTC3 is out of date. But since i live in Germany, that doesn't really make a difference.

It's really not about going as fast as i can. I'm only looking for a very good and reliable engine.

Since it's X-mas soon, i planned to make myself a present and invest in an engine, i will have fun with.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:41 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Default Cool

Thats Cool !!!! Just wanted to give some advice if seriously thinking about racing or something and all in all if you get any of the Engines your thinking about it will be a blast !!!
JABRONI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:54 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC
[email protected],

i've been around this board for quite a long time now and already read the whole threads about Murnan Modified Motors and all the other threads about competition engines.

I recently just bought a Associated Nitro TC3 Factory Team Kit and tried to find the right engine for it, so i got myself a Sirio EVO III T3-E which is still new in box and has never been used.

After reading about the Murnan Engines and the OS 12 TZ "Speed Tuned" Engine, i'm beginning to think about trading the engine and get another one or just let it being modified by Mr. Murnan.

- OS 12 TZ Speed Tuned
- Murnan OS 12 TZ

Tower sells the Speed Tuned TZ for 379.99$.
The Murnan TZ goes for 349.99$.

I payed 200$ for the stock EVO III T3-E and would probably have to spend another 125$ to let it modified by Murnan.

I would appreciate if someone could help me with my decision.

Greetings from Germany.

- OS 12 TZ Speed Tuned
- Murnan OS 12 TZ

None...get the real engine bigguy hehe
Joe Os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:47 AM   #12
TNC
Tech Rookie

Quote:

- OS 12 TZ Speed Tuned
- Murnan OS 12 TZ
I know the Sirio is an EFRA legal engine, the other ones are IFMAR.

But anyways: Which one of them would you prefer considering it's power output?

I don't run EFRA nor IFMAR. I race against 1:10 Nitro's and 1:5 TC's. Open Class.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:48 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Slo-MTX4

Of those 3 i would stick with the Sirio and get Mr Murnan to modify it, it will be the quickest no worries

PODIFIED ENGINES/Trackside RC
Slo-MTX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:54 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC
I know the Sirio is an EFRA legal engine, the other ones are IFMAR.

But anyways: Which one of them would you prefer considering it's power output?

I don't run EFRA nor IFMAR. I race against 1:10 Nitro's and 1:5 TC's. Open Class.
As you can see, I have the Murnan TZ, and I have raced against the OS Speed, and my Sirio, (the stock version) is a smoother and quicker engine. The TZ's may run a little hot, but the Sirio loves to run hot!! IMO Sirio is the way to go!!

Chris Kemper
Osiris 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:12 PM   #15
TNC
Tech Rookie

Hi Osiris,

but you got the STI Version that is kinda "Factory Tuned" from Sirio. Can you compare this to the EFRA Version of the EVO III i'm running?

Besides that i heard about changing the carburator on the Sirio and use one from Novarossi. Can anyone post his experience about that?

Thanks for the answers. I'm kinda enlightened right now, that i did not chose the "wrong" engine, although i'll think to give the OS Speed Tuned a try next year.