R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-29-2006, 01:37 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Broken conrod was the original MEGA saga....I don't think the newer MEGA DSII has that issue............
If you do have 20 year plus, you are no newbie...........go for the best, RB and Novarossi are the top pick.

However, no engine can have speed and last long...you have to define that "long lasting". Most of the top A-main guy I have raced, use 1 top end 21 engine ($500 and up engine) in like 3-4 weekend races (then sell it to someone for spare or practice).

Speed = $$$$....always.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:59 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Jp-Modified Novarossi 35plus21 to your Door $610.00 .
Attached Thumbnails
Looking to get a new .21 on road engine, your thoughts?-picture-254.jpg   Looking to get a new .21 on road engine, your thoughts?-picture-262.jpg   Looking to get a new .21 on road engine, your thoughts?-picture-260.jpg  
Got the grip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:02 PM   #33
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara
Broken conrod was the original MEGA saga....I don't think the newer MEGA DSII has that issue............
Yep....
Quote:
If you do have 20 year plus, you are no newbie...........go for the best, RB and Novarossi are the top pick.
MAX power, or the Mega MF's... also NR based and I think they are faster then Novarossi.....
But again, he was talking about 450,- so these engines are a nogo.....
Maybe the RB xenon, but these are also new on the market, reliability still needs to be proven......
Ninja also have upgraded there engine, so also a nice option within his budget......
Quote:
Most of the top A-main guy I have raced, use 1 top end 21 engine ($500 and up engine) in like 3-4 weekend races (then sell it to someone for spare or practice).
I regularly see the top have a new engine every race weekend, and the i'm talking Ninja, Mega, Novarossi.. maybe they changed the internals, but every Saturday before the race on Sunday they are always running in engines.......
Old 11-29-2006, 03:07 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

I agree with Solara somewhat. But a good RB or Nova can last over 5 gallons EASY, I have heard up to 9 gallons is not uncommon. I suggest changing the rod every 1-1.5 gallons though. Rear bearing too. Those A main guys are sometimes sponsored. So they get to run an engine for a month then move on. Not that their engines turn to junk, just that they can feel that little bit of lost performance since they have been racing 1:8 scale for over 10 years. And they don't touch a board in a 45 minute main. Plus most finish all heats and mains from start to finish. It's more run time then you think in the hands of an experienced driver. Their cars are going fast ALL the time. Plus to stay sponsored they need to keep their edge so to speak. I know, I race with Sal DeFazio and Robert Ronas in Colorado Springs. If you have ever heard of Jim Hottinger, he is the owner of Fusion motor sports, and been modding engines for around 18 years or so. His ONLY sponsored driver is Sal whom I get to run with each weekend when the season is going for us. He modifies Novarossi I believe. He learned under Ron Paris.
I have RB C4, C5 and C6's that will be as fast as his motors down the straight for the most part and these engines might have over 4 gallons through them. Speaking of Ron Paris, I was at the Paris Memorial last month and raced with a RB 97 worlds C3. This was my first race in over 2 years due to life crap, and knew I wasn't going to be an A or B main driver. But that 10 year old engine that has NEVER been rebuilt was keeping up with some of the fast guys. They were just out driving me. So if you want Longevity and speed, stick with RB or Novarossi. I still say the C6 by RB is perfect for you. Im just not familiar with RB's new exhaust. I know the 2020 is very fast through the full rpm range. Lots of low end torque. I asked you to check with Kevin at Ace Hobbies for advice on the exhaust. He works with Rody Roem on a personal and professional basis with the RB equipment. He would have the answers for you in regards to the exhaust you would want for the C6. Good luck!!
Old 11-29-2006, 04:48 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H
The Novarossi based Mega's are not cheap....
The Picco based ones those are the ones which give you best bang for the buck, but they are crap according to you..... (I disagree......)

The guy is new into 1/8 scale racing, I don't understand why people immediately suggest one of the best/most expensive engines out there.......
I agree with you. I've seen DSIIs run side by side with 35 plus 21s.
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:10 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I wrote that I was new to 1/8th scale on-road. I have ran nitro sedan for three years now but ran electric for all of the other years before that. I won a 1/8th scale at the end of season and put it together. Now I am a 1/8th junkie and trying to find out as much as I can before next season.
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:03 PM   #37
Tech Adept

You cant go wrong with JP, the FX R-03 (full option) is nice.
Durable, with more than enough power.
I think the key to any motor you buy will be break-in, they are all good.
AKSHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:39 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

how about the os vz-r v2?
mrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:50 PM   #39
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR
I have seen a few guys break rods with the Mega motors so I stay away from them.
so are Ninja's. they are not that durable. be careful with it and do not overrev that thing it will give you problems. check the pictures that was posted at the thread "SVM Speedway" of busted ninja. that was on my race.
piston was reduced to pieces of metal.
any engine will give you problems if you are not mindful of what you are doing.
you have been advised by so many people in a variety of engines to choose from. there is a reason why some engines are expensive as well as inexpensive. hmmmmm..... good luck !!!!
RCRjuanabbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:40 PM   #40
Tech Master

Quote:
At my first race with the MRX-4R I qualified third out of thirty plus drivers. Broke in the main though.
-Car broke, or NEW engine broke? I need an engine for my new 960, if your Ninja went kaboom on its first outing, you would buy another?
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:55 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)
Default I have a mega for sale...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm
-Car broke, or NEW engine broke? I need an engine for my new 960, if your Ninja went kaboom on its first outing, you would buy another?
How about this mega engine? I dontneed it anymore

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=138572
mrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:14 PM   #42
Tech Regular

TaylorM, if you are from Maumee. Please check out this website for a nice track in your town. We start again in late April.
www.oneeighthracers.com

If you need a screaming Monkey? Let me know and I can probably find a Nova-Rossi Plus 35 laying around for you.

Most any Nova-Rossi based engine will serve you well. If the correct pipe and header to fine unit your car and engine to the track you are running at.
Nova-Rossi based engine should last you 5 plus gallons of fuel, if you treat it right. Keep the Dirt OUT. Make sure your fuel is fresh, quality stuff and is not full of water. That seems to be the biggest problem lately.
XPHamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:43 AM   #43
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I saw another post from someone that said that the C6 RB engines wear out fast. Anyone else have the same issues with the C6?

I was told by Brooklyn Hobbies that the piston keeps getting scores in it by the exhaust port on the 35 plus Novarossi engines. Anyone have the same happen to them?

I have been racing R/C for twenty years, I can handle the power.
The only time I have ever had a piston scoring problem by the exhaust is when I am running a header that is too short. I had this happen when I used a short conical but changing to the medium conical solved the problems and gave me more bottom end without sacrificing top speed.
Winner's Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:56 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

What do you guys think about the RX21R1WC or the RX321P ??
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:03 AM   #45
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to foampervert
Default do consider an IDM...

hiya guys,

i own a IDM modded picco evo2. hot stuff.
very linear power, more then linear then unmodded novas and RBs.
you won't have to struggle with the sudden power surge that is normal with modded novas, JPs and RR RBs.

its also very cheap for this kind of performance.
if you're new to 1/8th, you might consider this, i think kamikaze hobbies sells it in the states and racecraft infinitum in sunny Singapore (where i got mine)

most local (singaporean) drivers that have used this, have sworn off the ninjas, RBs, JPs, Novas and other novelties.

even the new drivers.... like me^^

ima sure other IDM users will agree with me, best picco and possibly easiest engine to drive with yet.

-alexander

Sorex, i meant Sorex.
foampervert is offline   Reply With Quote