R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-26-2006, 02:25 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Orfeous Send a message via AIM to Orfeous Send a message via MSN to Orfeous Send a message via Yahoo to Orfeous
Default Your opinion about Futaba 3PKS and KoPropo EX10-helios

I am curius about the 3PKS

are those two radios quite near eachother?
Orfeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

I've no experience of the futaba but I'd be lost without my helios
Neil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:13 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The 3PKS, Helios and Airtronics M11 are the three top radios. After trying all three I went with the Futaba and love it. I think it has the best combination of feel and features of the three.
jon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:42 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

i would also like some input on this.....im not sure which radio to go with???would like the futaba but ive heard its very confusing and also its more expensive than the other radios.....then again you get what you pay for
slicvicpr87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:56 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to fritzD

Feuture wise, the 3pks is a winner. I think.... But I just love the Helios. It has respectable features and super comfy feel.
fritzD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:00 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfeous
I am curius about the 3PKS

are those two radios quite near eachother?
I have both of them.

Go with Helios, better feel / ergonomics.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:59 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

As I said I've only seen the futaba when other people have been using one but to my mind the screen seems to be in the wrong place for ease of viewing.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:45 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Orfeous Send a message via AIM to Orfeous Send a message via MSN to Orfeous Send a message via Yahoo to Orfeous

I tried the 3PKS for some days ago and it feels a little heavy in my hand. it feels like the front is falling forward. i heard that there are a wrist support to buy.. that may feel comfortable. not as it is now.. i think my wrist is gonna hurt after a whiles use.

I have never tried the Helios yet.. but many in our RC-club are using the Helios..
Old 11-28-2006, 02:08 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Since upgrading to spektrum my helios feels even better balanced.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:21 AM   #10
Tech Addict

i have the 3pk and for me it is too heavy although the menu's are really easy to use!
i am thinking about switching to a helios.....
ae_ntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:49 AM   #11
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Nitro$junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae_ntc3
i have the 3pk and for me it is too heavy although the menu's are really easy to use!
i am thinking about switching to a helios.....
hit the gym
Byron's
http://www.hospitalrecords.com
Nitro$junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:34 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Maybe I can help your decision...I have both radios, and I love both for different reasons. The 3PK is without a doubt very easy to use due to the menu structure. Because of the screen size the menus are laid out better, and easier to understand without having to read the manual 3 times. So I use this radio when I am playing with my off-road cars, and my micros. It takes 1-2-3 to get going on a new car. I use my Helios when I race my wonderful Mugen MRX4-R. When you are on the stand for 30 mins you want a radio that is light, balanced, and comfortable. It is an easy radio to setup, but not as easy as the Futaba. The 3PK is cool for playing and bashing, but I think it could be much more balanced. This is only my opinion, but from reading other posts, talking to fellow RC comrades, and having own both radios this seems to be the consensus. If you race seriously, the Helios will not tire your arm/wrist like the 3PK during 20-30 min race. If you just need a good solid radio with alot of adjustability for bashing, and occasionally racing, the 3PK is great. My next statement may cause some uproar, but hear it goes....I also think the response on the KO system is faster. I am a futaba person all the way, but the truth is the truth. I owned the original 3PK, and now I have a 3PK Super, and maybe its all in my mind, but the KO radio system seems to respond faster. I still always use Futaba servos though.
Lil Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:36 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In my opinion, both the 3PKS and the Helios are both great radios. One really good feature about the 3PKS is that it has a built in fail safe function in which you can turn on and off. With this feature turned on, you would feel much safer running your car since if any signal interference occurs or when your battery get low, the fail safe feature kicks in and put the car into the brake and not respond at all
doki_doki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:35 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Thanks for every opinion

i dont need all those features that are available..
the only settings you use is steering trim, throttle trim.. brake..
not other special features not me anyway

i think i am going to buy a helios with spektrum pro and the micro reciever.

today i have the Futaba 3PJ and i dont feel good with it. it feels noncomfortable and big in my hand. Very big in its size too.

as i heard the spektrum have built in failsafe?
Old 11-29-2006, 08:49 AM   #15
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Nitro$junkie

just if your not aware of this

2.4GHz Module & R603FS Receiver
TWICE as much data, almost NINE TIMES faster, and EIGHT TIMES smoother!
It’s a quantum leap forward in performance for the 3PK! The 2.4GHz FASST module and R603FS receiver enable the 3PK to do more, do it much faster — and much more accurately too. You’ll also enjoy the convenience of not having to wait for a frequency to open up. Compare the 2.4GHz FASST to the competition and you'll agree: more + faster + smoother = BETTER!

Over TWICE as much information is sent to the receiver- keeping you in control and the vehicle locked in!
An almost NINE TIMES FASTER bit rate, to keep you better in tune and in control! Plus, the FASST system offers incredible response speed and unparalleled performance! Increased bit value ensures the data transmissions are error-free and keeps the vehicle’s veer locked in.
EIGHT TIMES the resolution, for servo travel so smooth it’s undetectable! Provides the finesse and smoothness of movement so that the driver is constantly in tune with his/her model.

More great "driver-friendly" features you'll find on the 2.4GHz FASST system:

Interference? Not Hardly!
Whereas other spread spectrum systems find one open frequency and remain on it indefinitely, the 2.4GHz FASST system is constantly shifting from channel to channel, so you’ll never have to worry about signal conflicts.

Dual antenna diversity!
The FASST system’s dual internal/external antennas provide blanket reception coverage, eliminating dead spots and glitches.

An “Auto-Detect” feature!
Turn on the radio, and the R603FS receiver instantly determines whether HRS or PPM mode is active from the transmitter.

A Fail Safe function —
for both the module (in case of interference) and the receiver (in the event of low receiver voltage).

A wider range —
for larger tracks!

A special ID code —
that prevents glitching by not accepting unwanted signals.
Byron's
http://www.hospitalrecords.com
Nitro$junkie is offline   Reply With Quote