R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-26-2003, 05:27 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

jeff - WOOOO nice! wish that was my baby. what kind of spring and oil shock setup are u using? im just starting to tune the suspension now from stock and im not sure where to start.

johnny - try these hop-ups!

hpi 2-speed, hpi racing clutch, robinson racing flywheel, ths tuned pipe. that should get u going a bit quicker... im not sure though coz all the stuff is on its way from tower hobbies! =) a new engine is good but u may as well blow up the old one first =)

next i will be getting carbon shock towers and springs
dumadiscount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 06:48 PM   #17
Tech Chat Moderator

If yu are on a budget, a 2 needle carb($40) and better head($20-$30) is amolst a new engine. A 2 needle carb will let you hae a more snappy low-end cuz it has a low-end needle. The head will make ya engine run cooler. Speed mainly depends on gearing and engine rpms considering you have enough hp. Get yourself a cheap good tuned pipe and header. Then a 2-speed. That should keep you happy for a long time. When you want more speed, change gearing.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:57 PM   #18
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to JeffS

Here's the rundown and setup of my RS4 3.

Oh, and it's for sale.

Hop Ups Installed on the Car

HPI -
F/R Sway Bars
NitroStar 12R SS Non Pull Start Conversion
Non PUll Start Lightened Flywheel
HPI Racing Fuel Tank
Fiber brake disc
Full Bearing Set
Stainless Steel Hinge Pins
Aluminum Threaded Shocks w/ full set of tunable pistons
Pro Linear Yellow Springs (Rear)
Pro Linear Red Springs (Front)

Hot Bodies -
Carbon Fiber Top Deck
Carbon Fiber F/R Shock Towers
Carbon Fiber Bumper Support
Aluminum Center Bulkhead
Aluminum Brake Lever

MIP -
Racing Clutch
F/R Shiny CVD's

GPM -
Aluminum Steering Bellcrank Assembly
Aluminum Rear Hub Carriers (2 deg Toe-In)
Aluminum Front steering Knuckles
Aluminum 4mm Racing Chassis

THS RAcing -
Full Exhaust System

Airtronics -
MX-3 75mhz FM Transmitter
Micro 75mhz FM Receiver
94102 Throttle Servo

Hitec -
HS-5925MG Steering Servo

Protoform -
Stratus 2.1 Racing Body, slightly banged up - OK condition.

Misc -
Dynamite Fuel Filter
Motor Saver Air Filter
Jaco Nitro Shoes 35 Shore Front, 30 Shore Rear Foam Tires
Hump Style Receiver Pack
OS 10A Slide Carburetor

Setup -
Front - Droop setting 4, 5mm ride height, 1 degree toe-out, -1 degree camber, HPI Pro Linear Red Springs, #4 shock piston, Associated 40w Silicone Shock Oil
Rear - Droop setting 4, 5mm ride height, 2 degrees toe-in, -2.5 degrees camber, HPI Pro Linear Yellow Springs, #4 shock piston, Associated 40w Silicone Shock Oil
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 08:36 PM   #19
Tech Chat Moderator

What is the total the all of this costed ya. Incluse all hop ups(engine, drive train, shock parts, eletronics, tires, foams, inserts etc). I wanna no how much someone would spend on a parking lot basher. Im not being mean sicne i spent wel over 1.3k on my nrs42.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:32 PM   #20
Tech Initiate

Actually, I listened to magazine hype when I bought the car. Unfortunately, I was just getting back into RC after a 10 year break, and didn't do enough research before I bought.

I was fully planning to race it this year, including putting a rear exhaust engine in the car. (I have a RB 5 Port Turbo sitting in my toolbox to prove it!)

I'm still planning on racing, so I gave up on the RS4 and bought a NTC3. The RS4 ran pretty good, but box stock with the Sirio ROAR engine, the NTC3 is better already. I have very few hop-up plans for the NTC3, except for a few durability issues and gearing.

My guess is that I have about $1k in the car, give or take a few $$.

Bling Bling, eh?

-Jeff
Old 02-27-2003, 08:30 AM   #21
Tech Rookie

what type of head should i upgarde to?
johnnyyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 10:20 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Talking The HPI money pit

johnnyyd;

PLEASE do not buy a new Head for your engine. Wait until it's time for a new engine, then just buy the engine. A new Head will cost $40-$50 usd. A decent engine $140-$160, a GREAT engine $170-$200+.

Guys;

I bet alot more of us than are willing to admit, put over 3 times the original cost into our RS4's. I think I stopped at about the $750-$800 mark (after the racer 2 conversion). My Reflex NT has been a much faster, easier to drive car at much less than half the total cost.

johnnyyd;

Don't let any of us discourage you from having fun with your HPI. All of mine were loads of fun and took the punishment of learning how to drive quite well. Won more than it's share of races too.

Have fun.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 10:30 AM   #23
Tech Initiate

As far as engines go, you can get a Novarossi CX-12 for $155 w/pull start and rotary carb. This engine would rip in the RS4 3. It would drop right into the car.

If you really wanted to get crazy, you can get a rear exhaust .12 NR with a turbo crank and normal head button for about $165, then get the associated rear exhaust header from the NTC3 and you'd be good to go with that. You're dealing with new flywheels, starterbox and whatnot if you go this route.

Something else I just discovered is that if you call HotBodies directly, they will give you the part # for a Centax style clutch. Overkill for the RS4 3 in my opinion, but cool nevertheless.

I can refer you to someone who sells the engines for that price if you can't find em elsewhere.

-Jeff
Old 02-27-2003, 10:30 AM   #24
Tech Rookie

The head idea sounded good, my car seems to run real hot right now and after running it for a while it will stall when not giving it gas. Is this a cooling problem, tuning problem, air cleaner problem, or my poor driving? Thanx
johnnyyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 12:16 PM   #25
Tech Initiate

You most likely are running lean up top. Richen it up 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn and see what happens.

Temp guns are invaluable in tuning your engine, I strongly suggest you invest in one.

Don't waste your money on an aftermarket head for your HPI engine. Your money is better off being reserved for a top quality engine for your car.

-Jeff
Old 02-27-2003, 02:14 PM   #26
Tech Chat Moderator

Yup, like i said before, a engine head isnt too wise. I dont see why u didnt take my word for it. luckyly popsracer was here. The reason ya car over ehats is cuz the engnie isnt tuned right or you have a leak. BTW my temp gun is a water drop.

For about $90 you can get a team STS mt12 engine. It's likes mt12 but made by a different company. I have one and it works great. It smokes the stock fe 15, and it beats my bud's nrs4 2 rtr with a OS .21 shoe horned in there. Mine was way more hoped up but thats not the point....well it is but, n/m.

If i was you, i would just learn how to drive and get formilur with the r/c and then move up to a better r/c. Don't go crazy and start hoping up ya car.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:07 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

Let's see. A motor, while seemingly expensive, sounds like a good choice. You can get a OS 12CV-RX for cheap at Tower, and will have much better kick than the .12FE you have. You will need a pipe.

Just keep in mind, the RS4 is what it is: a fun, basher type parking lot runner. If you try to make it a competetive, race ready car, it would be pointless. It would be like spending money getting a Kia Sephia race ready. You could do it, but why? Have fun with it. Make it look cool, make it fast. Just know it WILL NOT handle like a stock race-ready car, like a 705, MTX3 or NTC3, or even a older car like the OB4, no matter what.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:20 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by TheRagunCajun

For about $90 you can get a team STS mt12 engine. It's likes mt12 but made by a different company. I have one and it works great.
I bought one too (STS MT12) for my Kids Reflex and I think it is a DOG compared to my Picco and the RB in my Stepsons RFX. How does yours do against the other engines at your track. I'm going to put a thinner head shim in to raise the compression and see if it helps.

Thanks
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 09:50 PM   #29
Tech Chat Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
I bought one too (STS MT12) for my Kids Reflex and I think it is a DOG compared to my Picco and the RB in my Stepsons RFX. How does yours do against the other engines at your track. I'm going to put a thinner head shim in to raise the compression and see if it helps.

Thanks
Well pops, I don't have a track near me down here in southern louisiana. All I do is bshing with my a bud. My engine runs great and is reliable. If i did have a track id sell all my rs4 stuff and get a "real car". Like a mugen or Ntc3 dpendngin on parts cost etc. My next r/c is a ways off from now. My sts tm12 has alot of power and does better than my rb c12 turbo. Since hpi makes piss poor ratios for the nrs4 2, i cant get the ratio i want. I keep a 15/18 clucth bell on so i dont spin to heck taking off. I can get all 4's loose easy but not as easy. BTW, by "DOG", u mean it is a horrible engine or what?
Old 02-27-2003, 10:03 PM   #30
Tech Master

I may be wrong, but i think rb, and mugan motors are all novarassi based motors, same carb, same sleeve and piston, just a different stamp on the case.and what ever little tweeks they do to the case.
drfritz is offline   Reply With Quote