Wiki Posts
Search

newby questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 11:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default newby questions

hi people,
Normally i race 12th scale, but i want to be able to race with something this summer, i have raced electric t/c before, but wanted to try out nitro, i dont have a clue about anything nitro, engiines, clutches, things like that.
I was wanting to buy the schumacher fusion r12, it sais that it comes with a rossi r12 pixy engine, is this a good engine for compoetition use, or should i buy a different engine? What would you reccomend?

I REALLY WANT A FUSION!!, but with my lack of knowledge of nitro, i need u guys to help me out, firstly, what will i need to start the car, and run it? do i need a starter box? what fuel should i use?

How do you run engines in and what are all the screws on the engine for? maybe there is a website with beginner nitro info on it, any links?

I am a good driver and want to compete effectively in nationals.

What sort of servos do i need? high torgue or sped for throttle, steering?

ANY INFO IS GREATLY APPRECITED!
thanks
matt

Old 02-17-2003, 11:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've read reviews that stated the Fusion does not handle very well for competition use (if this is the right Fusion car we are talking about, I'm pretty sure it is). It is strictly built for top speed, meaning just bashing around with your budies and drag racing, not real racing.

All the other info your shop should be able to teach you, and see what nitro cars they can supply and support.

But I would recommend a different car than the Fusion, take a look at the popular high performance ones and pick the one with the advantages you like.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

rice 98

besides the the car kit here are a few items you will
need to get the car up and running.

electronics 2 servos, 1 receiver, and a receiver pack
others. tuned pipe, glow plug igniter, and fuel.
for engines i would suggest any rear version nova engines.

the clutch, just go with what the manufacturers supply and
try that before spending extra money you might not need

as for hoping up the car and additional tuning aids. just put the
car together take it to the track and you can go from there.

good luck
Old 02-17-2003, 12:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello matt,and welcome! Iam new here also,and i wanted to welcome you.I have not been here a long time,but from what i have read on previous post's, there are alot of very rc talented people in here, I have been into the hobby for some time and still learning ,what i would sugguest to you is to read as many RC books on your particular kind of interest, there are "several" web pages devoted to how to tune rc engines,one of my favorites www.parisracings.com ,check them out ! In your spare time try to hang out at the local tracks in the area, talk to the racers,(when there not in the final main , and ask there advise,there the ones with the most "hands" on experienece, and just keep on whats going on,learn from your mistakes (we all make them) and keep practicing,thats all you can do to learn more,you already have a great skill in driving,so this should come to you as easy,just don't go out and spend lots of cash on high end parts,until you fully understand whats involved,work your way with some cheaper models...then you can go from there! Good Luck..and Have fun!
Old 02-17-2003, 01:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

the car that is ment for bashing is the fusion 21, not the r12, the r12 in the hands of andy wallis (UK driver from right near me, and races at my local club!) came 3rd in one of the us races, here is a link :- http://www.racing-cars.com/newsdetails.asp?itemId=RR82

i have owned schumacher cars before, (Axis and sst 99 pro) and i reallly like them,m plus i would have major back up from andy as i talk to him alot.
what about breaking in engines?
thanks for the quick replies already guys! i am anticipating nitro to be far more invloved when trying to find power, ahh well, i like learining new things, and talking to the top guns.
i dont like being a novice again!! gotta get some more information so i dont feel like an idiot anymore!
thanks again
matt
Old 02-17-2003, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: newby questions

Originally posted by rice98w
hi people,
Normally i race 12th scale, but i want to be able to race with something this summer, i have raced electric t/c before, but wanted to try out nitro, i dont have a clue about anything nitro, engiines, clutches, things like that.
I was wanting to buy the schumacher fusion r12, it sais that it comes with a rossi r12 pixy engine, is this a good engine for compoetition use, or should i buy a different engine? What would you reccomend?

I REALLY WANT A FUSION!!, but with my lack of knowledge of nitro, i need u guys to help me out, firstly, what will i need to start the car, and run it? do i need a starter box? what fuel should i use?

How do you run engines in and what are all the screws on the engine for? maybe there is a website with beginner nitro info on it, any links?

I am a good driver and want to compete effectively in nationals.

What sort of servos do i need? high torgue or sped for throttle, steering?

ANY INFO IS GREATLY APPRECITED!
thanks
matt

Hi Matt,

First, I'd like to likewise welcome you to the Forum and to the world of Nitro. If you like more speed and power, I am sure you will like what you are about to get into.

Now, let me try to answer your questions as much as I can:

I have not driven a Fusion before but like rbgti, I have read things about it that doesn't show it to be a car you would want to have if you want to be competitive in racing. Most people now are running the Mugen MTX3. Not only because it is one of the latest nitro sedans out in the market, but also because it really seem to be a excellent handling car.. I personally have a Yokomo GT4 which, honestly is an old car but still a pretty good one, in my opinion. Not to mention that it has won a championship before. Another title holder is the Nitro TC3 by associated. Although be mindful that this car is known to break more easily than the others. If you want a car that is like a ROCK, you would want to consider the Kyosho V one R.....I will limit my recommended choices to these 4 because I dont want to confuse you that much. But it would be good to have these as a starting point. I suggest you go out to you local track and see how these cars run and find out which best suites your driving style.

Motors: I personally have the Mugen MT12 on mine and I have certainly gotten more than my money's worth from this motor. You would also want to consider the Novarossi Top and the RB X12.

About, the screws on the motor, VectorJim's suggestion of accessing the the paris racing website is a very good one. You will find quite a comprehensive explanation/reference as to how nitro motors work.. Here is the direct link to the page:

http://www.parisracing.com/engine_tu...coversheet.htm

As far as servos, I recommend using KO servos. Ofcourse High Speed for your steering (model# PDS-2143 or PS-2173) and High Torque for you Brake/Throttle (PDS-2144 or PS-2174).

Everything else, I think you will have to learn hands on.

Hope this helps

Last edited by jwf-ronni; 02-17-2003 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

By the way Matt,

Where are you located at? If you are local and you can drop by the track we usually run at, maybe I and the other guys can assist you further.? Let me know. We are from SoCal.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

BTW I don't think a beginner should be driving around a track with a PIXIE engine. If memory serves me correctly that is a 1.8hp engine, the most powerful factory production engine I've ever read about.

There's this guy that comes down to our shop all the time, man that dude is a mess. Buys a brand new V-one RR, doesn't build it himself. DUMPS an extra $1000 on chassis hopups and extras. Buys the most expensive radio system the shop has. Buys 2 engines, one of them being a 1.5hp Novarossi S5T. Has the car tuned by the shop owner, a former world champion. And how does he drive such an awsome package, like a blind man! He's far too noob than he would like to admit, LOL.

All I'm saying is don't get too caught up in the power game with nitro cars, it just means you have a more difficult car to drive. I run a MT12 as well, and finally have the guts to get it modded. MT12 is best bang for buck, absolutely love it, if I drive good that engine will let me dog fight with the boys with the fancy ass engines.

For steering servo, buy the best thing you can afford, focusing mainly on speed of the servo. You dont need more than 80 ounces of torque for a touring car, but I use a Futaba 9402.
For throttle you can use a "standard" servo. A standard servo has more than enough torque to lock up your brakes. I use a Futaba S3004 32ounce torque/ball bearings. Saves you money too. For me its amazing how the guys in my shop use $250 servos for their throttle, plain overkill. Must be nice to have money hehe.

Most engines come with break-in instructions that are easy to follow.

Ronni is right, many things you just have to learn as you go on.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:27 PM
Tech Master

There's this guy that comes down to our shop all the time, man that dude is a mess. Buys a brand new V-one RR, doesn't build it himself. DUMPS an extra $1000 on chassis hopups and extras
I see this quite often. My MTX2 has 4 hop-ups, and it is still good enough to up as close to the top as I can put it. I do have great servos and an MR12, but, as I said, I don't need many hopups.

My point is not that I'm a great driver (if I were great driver I'd be TQ), but as long as you have a race car that is a solid racing platform from the beginning, focus on tuning and driving skills.

If you ask the fast guys, when they offer advice to new racers, they don't say that you need to get all graphite and aluminum, they tell you some tuning secrets and driving style secrets.

--------------------
I have only seen the .21 equipped Schumacher, so I can only say that Shumacher has an excellent track record in electric racing and wouldn't put forth a junk racing vehicle, but be aware about replacement parts availibility. Its hard to get a hold of Schumacher stuff in most places. And with a new car, parts can be a big concern.

(i wasn't aware they came out with their race car yet ... 'course I seem to always be behind the times)
Old 02-18-2003, 10:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

jwf ronni - i live in derbyshire, england, uk, so my local most probably isnt yours! lol, the production version of the r12 comes out at the end of feb, which aint that long away, but andy wallis has been running the car since about last may/june time, and has helped develop the car.
schumacher parts are very easy to get hgold of in the uk, especially near to me as my lhs is a large stockist of them, and the owner is a former champion who raced for schuey, namely phil booth.
to be honest, with the internet, its very easy to get parts next day deliverd, unless its a trinity or something like that.
are there any websites related to this mugen that you are talking about? does mugen have a manufacturer web page?
thanks again guys, this is good stuff!
matt