R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

reecek:

I am 98.23% sure that I didn't back off the throttle when I was airborn. It was my first race and I was a bit nervous
BIGTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:03 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTACO
reecek:

I am 98.23% sure that I didn't back off the throttle when I was airborn. It was my first race and I was a bit nervous
That could be one of the problems, but the majority of the people I know that strip gears, their cars as well as mine still strip without catching air. You just basically have to tey all of these remedies until it works. My next step is to replace the housing on the second gear, and use a different clutch bell!!

Chris Kemper
Osiris 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:11 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Keep stripping second gear

I had the same problem with the .08 gears.
I would strip a second gear every 5 or 6 laps.
I changed the shaft,two speed housing,clutch bell, pinion gears everything associated with the spur gear, but they still would strip.I was using the .08 spur gears, and actually bought about 6 different sets of every combination of gearing.
I got tired of messing with it and went with the standard gears that are used with the MTX3, and have not stripped a spur gear yet.
Maybe I bought some of the defective gears, but its fine now.
brc358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:17 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Osiris 75:

I was really considering replacing the clutch bell also. Since I have had this happen twice I think thats a safe bet. There seems to be a bit too much play between the circumference of the bearings and where they come into contact with the clutch bell. Then I started thinking that perhaps that slop wouldn't matter because the clutch shoes press up against the bell so hard it seems like it would take away all the slop. But I guess your right better safe than sorry.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:48 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc358
I had the same problem with the .08 gears.
I would strip a second gear every 5 or 6 laps.
I changed the shaft,two speed housing,clutch bell, pinion gears everything associated with the spur gear, but they still would strip.I was using the .08 spur gears, and actually bought about 6 different sets of every combination of gearing.
I got tired of messing with it and went with the standard gears that are used with the MTX3, and have not stripped a spur gear yet.
Maybe I bought some of the defective gears, but its fine now.
That's exactly what I did. I went to the MTX3 gears and have not stripped one yet. It's a good back up plan!!

Chris Kemper
Osiris 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:35 PM   #21
Tech Addict

What are the advantages of having the finer pitch gearing anyways? I mean, to me it just seems like there is a larger chance of stripping? Why would mugen move to those in the first place?
Old 11-06-2006, 09:11 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
I (and some others) believe that the 52 spurs strip more easily. I was in the same boat as you and many others when it came to downsizing both gears to match. All the 2nd gear spurs are the same diameter. You don't have to change them both to keep the mesh set. They cheat a little on the pitch so you can change one gear and not the other. I believe that is why the 52's strip more easily.
hmmmm where did you get that info from? Mesh the second gear first leaving clearance so that the clutch bell does not touch the 2 gear hub. The reason i say that is because some people are observing that there 2 second gear hub has a small worn spot on the corner of it. I used to think it was from the sway bar but found out it was from the clutch bell riding on it. If the clutch bell is touching it what is going to happen when clutch is engaged and it shifts to 2 gear yes a stripped gear! After doing this simple process i have not stripped a gear.ALso i want to note that i run the stock chassis,motor mounts,side brace and so on .I also avoid the 52 t spur. This works well for me hope fully it helps.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:45 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSE CASAS
hmmmm where did you get that info from? Mesh the second gear first leaving clearance so that the clutch bell does not touch the 2 gear hub. The reason i say that is because some people are observing that there 2 second gear hub has a small worn spot on the corner of it. I used to think it was from the sway bar but found out it was from the clutch bell riding on it. If the clutch bell is touching it what is going to happen when clutch is engaged and it shifts to 2 gear yes a stripped gear! After doing this simple process i have not stripped a gear.ALso i want to note that i run the stock chassis,motor mounts,side brace and so on .I also avoid the 52 t spur. This works well for me hope fully it helps.

I have a good groove worn into my 2 speed housing. In my case I know it was from the sway bar. I lenghtened the sway bar links a bit and the rubbing stopped. It might also have been rubbing on the clutch bell, but I didn't see evidence of that.

Regarding the gears and the sizes, Robbie is the guy that told me about them all being the same size. I actually didn't believe him because I just couldn't believe that any company would "cheat" on the gear pitch. He showed me with a set of calipars that they are the same diameter. Apparantly other companies do this as well. Either way, I saw it for myself and would invite you guys to measure the diameter of the spur gears. After testing/experience myself and unnamed others noticed that we were only stripping 52t gears. The only justification I could come up with is that they have to adjust the pitch just enought to eat the gear. I know that I don't use 52's anymore. I did not strip many gears, but the only time I stripped a gear and I could find no reason for it, it was a 52 tooth spur. Whenever I stripped a 53, or a 54 I could easily find a viable reason for it. (engine moved, bent chassis launching the car off of a friggen dot,....etc)

Jose: you coming to the region 12 race?
Old 11-06-2006, 10:32 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSE CASAS
whats up jose , sounding all professional and stuff
Old 11-06-2006, 11:12 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike jones
whats up jose , sounding all professional and stuff
LOL!!

We all know better..
Old 11-07-2006, 05:41 AM   #26
Tech Regular

sounds like your having the same problem is i eas i had a powerfull motor and to big of a split so it was hitting so hard into second it would take a tooth off every time it shifted and halphway into the main i would be reving in first only
Old 11-07-2006, 06:16 AM   #27
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I do not use the 52t either.
POWER MASTER Fuel, 2mm Designs
Protoform Bodies, Avid Bearings, AMR Engines
YBSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:36 PM   #28
Tech Adept

i feel that i need to clarify something...

BIGTACO was not running in the mains...

he was HAULING ASS in the mains.
schufflerbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Keep stripping second gear.

You need to keep the 53 second gear spur on and put and 58 first gear spur on this takes care of you mesh problem since I did that no problems.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:59 AM   #30
Tech Fanatic

you can find valuable info on the mtx4 nitrokb database. there´s a link on the mtx4 thread.
for the record I only use 52 spurs for several hours now.