R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-03-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Team magic G4 RTR (Need help with factory engine settings)

I am having a real time finding the stock needle settings for my new engine. Its a SH .15 rear exhaust. I have been to the SH website and can't find it there. Does anyone know what the factory settings for this engine are?

BIGTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:59 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi,

I recently purchased a G4 RTR and found the same problem. I asked this exact question and was told 3 turns out on the bottom and 3.5 out on the high end. However this was far far too rich. I found a good balance was 2 turns out on the low end and 2.5 on the high end. My motor has only ben run in and had one 5 minute race so it's brand new.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Chris
CDS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:01 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Thanks man
schufflerbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:16 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDS70
Hi,

I recently purchased a G4 RTR and found the same problem. I asked this exact question and was told 3 turns out on the bottom and 3.5 out on the high end. However this was far far too rich. I found a good balance was 2 turns out on the low end and 2.5 on the high end. My motor has only ben run in and had one 5 minute race so it's brand new.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Chris
Far rich is exactly where you want to start with your setting to break in an engine. If I was looking for a starting point that is where I want to be and then slowly after each "tank" of gas start bringing in the needles to tuning point. Same thing when car is on the track, be rich... then slowly bring the needle in to the engine is running at proper temps.

Each time you go to track, richen the engine, then when out practicing before the race, start the tuning. Do it right and you will have a fast engine for a very long time. Lean it too fast and you will be buying a new engine in a very short time!

Enjoy

SamF
G4S'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:30 AM   #5
Tech Adept

thanks, Sam!

I have about 10-12 tanks through this engine now and I'm starting to develop a relationship with it, finally.

We talk, share bottles of red (.15 engines dont like white wine, FYI) and discuss how its feeling about the settings weve tried so far.

It seems to be running well, very quick and with a few turns of a screw or two, will shift perfectly and stay strong throughout the whole race.

However, I have noticed that my engine seems to run a little hot. While sitting in the pits tuning I've seen temps of 240+

However, when she gets to run a few laps it seems that the temp drops drastically.

My assumption is that the engine needs the air moving across the fins to cool it down, but it still makes me nervous having an engine running that hot just sitting.

Does this sound normal?

Also, I'm running 30% through it.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:27 AM   #6
Tech Elite

30% is a high for the engine ,add a .1mm shim or change to 16% .
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:08 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor
30% is a high for the engine ,add a .1mm shim or change to 16% .
i added the .1mm shim before i ever started it up.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:29 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

It sounds as though your low end is set a bit too lean and you have the HSN a on the fat side. With this type of setting when your out on the track the extra on throttle time is cooling the engine with the extra fuel but on the bench the lean idle is bringing the temp up.

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten
It sounds as though your low end is set a bit too lean and you have the HSN a on the fat side. With this type of setting when your out on the track the extra on throttle time is cooling the engine with the extra fuel but on the bench the lean idle is bringing the temp up.

Mark
that sounds about right, this is an issue with that though...

when i fatten out the low end, even a little bit, the car wont shift into 2nd gear. i've tried loosening the shifting screws and still, i have to lean out the low end to get it to shift.

i'm not sure if its even something i should be worried about, as it does kool off on the track, i just dont want to waste an engine because of overheating.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:53 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Default Le Mans G4 SH engine settings available now

Some information related to the Le Mans G4 and G4S RTR engine is available now.

You can find instruction and manual in Team Magic official web-site.

Please visit the web-site shown below.

SH engine instruction manual

Really hope this helps.

Edith
TM Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:30 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Edith, that is exactly what i've been looking for.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!