R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #1096
Tech Champion

Actually, yes.. The front bearings(running three with the Ofna extension) don't always come out when I want to change them, so I have lost at least one, possibly two that way. They are expensive and unavailable on the continent on which I happen to live. Ideally I would run a carbon clutch, but so far the only clutch I have been able to get to shim right with three bearings up front is an alu Fioroni Vario clutch - it functions great, but I'd prefer to have carbon shoes that don't mangle the bell...
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #1097
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Info for you DM-1 racers out there.

I have done a lot of travelling and racing this summer for GT8 only or mixed nitro events. I have found some more speed in the car with some chassis tunning. I've had help from Bill Sydor who was running the DM1 up to the Joliet race this summer, then switched to Serpent. At the Sweep race at Floyd Bennett Raceway labor day weekend, he .... well Sweeped the field.

In practice Saturday he turned 17.2's to 17.4's in his car. I handed him my radio and with in a few laps 17.2"s and 17.3"s lap times came out of my DM-1.

The same chassis set up and parts were on a back up car that I loaned to a long time racer, that had not run nitro for 2-3 years. He missed TQ of the Sportsman Class by 0.10 on 5 min, but was able to take win. Great result the first time out with the car.

So, parts will be available shortly through Darkside Motorsports (not for a few weeks) but if you are interested, send me a PM here on RC Tech.

Parts include - shock tower front and rear that use the front shocks on both ends, roll center change to the gear boxes and a new front bumper that fits the McLaren body in my avatar. I am working on other items, but if you think the DM-1 is slow to any other car out there, think again.
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #1098
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
Actually, yes.. The front bearings(running three with the Ofna extension) don't always come out when I want to change them, so I have lost at least one, possibly two that way. They are expensive and unavailable on the continent on which I happen to live. Ideally I would run a carbon clutch, but so far the only clutch I have been able to get to shim right with three bearings up front is an alu Fioroni Vario clutch - it functions great, but I'd prefer to have carbon shoes that don't mangle the bell...
You can run the Fioroni clutch with carbon, aluminum, or a mix of both. The shoes are sold in packs of all aluminum, all carbon, or a mix with both.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #1099
Tech Elite

In working on the new parts, realized there was not a very good set up sheet for the DM-1 car.

Attached is my first pass on a new sheet. Let me know if I missed something.

Sorry info did not come across, see next post
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Set Up Sheet.pdf (74.5 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by Grenade10; 07-27-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #1100
Tech Initiate

Looks like the winning set up is missing......
leinbacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #1101
Tech Addict

Excellent, very complete could do with pics (that's too much to ask for) but very nice.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #1102
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneg View Post
Excellent, very complete could do with pics (that's too much to ask for) but very nice.
It is in the works .......
Old 10-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #1103
Tech Elite

Default OFNA DM-1 Carbon Parts

I have received the first batch of parts and have been test fit. For new parts everythign is very good for the first pass. I'll post pictures here, but I have the following:

1) Carbon Fiber top plate to use an OFNA aluminum 2-speed holder. You can find the aluminum parts on E-bay. Part number will be posted with the picture.

2) Carbon Fiber Roll center spacers for both gear boxes, steering post and chassis support. Gear fluid and light weight drive parts will be noted with the picture, and set up sheet.

3) Carbon Fiber Shock Tower that can work for either front or rear of the car. Uses kit front shocks on both front and rear. Springs and oil will be listed on set up sheet.

Prices will be posted with pictures, and if you PM me with your e-mail I'll get you ln the list for parts. Parts will be available through IGT Hobbies, or Darksidems site.

Mark
Old 10-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #1104
Tech Elite

Default Aluminum 2 Speed

I had modified my composit (plastic) 2 speed holder to have screws counter sunk from the back. This kept the screws from coming out in long races and I could adjust the brake tension using nylock nuts. I put brakes on both sides of the 2 speed. I always had thought the material was not the best to keep everything in correct aligment and moving free.

So I was looking for a metal option. Found HongNor parts for the X1S that was using a similar 2 speed. Has both brakes, correct height, just not the correct width to fit the DM-1 2 speed and chassis. The kit comes with a long and short brake arm, but the long one is available by it's self. With a new carbon fiber top plate you get what is pictured below.

I have added the optional OFNA brake pads, springs to keep the pads apart. I did not want the heat of drag brake, and the set up does not need or want it. Special brake pads, and the aluminum vented brakes to keep the rotating weight down. I have not found lightened drive cups for this, but I'm still looking.

Parts:

X1S-52 Center Diff for X1 -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAMMIN-Hong-...item336eba3ee9

X1S-52C Brake Cam Long -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/X2CR-Parts-C...item27cbd10e06

2 Speed Carbon Fiber top plate $ 26.50 (IGT Hobbies or Darksidems)

IGT Hobbies
OFN40044 - Brake Springs
OFN36659 - Special Brake Pads
OFN36660 - Brake Pads
OFN49009 - Special Aluminum Brake Disk

You will need some shims, as the two speed must be shimmed so it does not move, should still be free, so don't over shim. You can also line up the gears a little better with this.
Attached Thumbnails
new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts :):)-aluminum-2-speed.jpg  

Last edited by Grenade10; 10-15-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #1105
Tech Elite

Default Gear Box / Center of Gravity Change

The next change is to better support the gear box and raise it up so that it has better alignment for the drive shafts. It also changes the center of gravity as the gear box goes up. What this does is to help in getting weight and power transfered to the tires.

It free's up the drive shaft / CVD, so not as much power is lost due to the angles as the suspension moves. It also raises the center of gravity which then puts more load on the tires as it goes through the corner.

To make this work you will need to make sure the cut out section in the gear box is flat. If you are doing this to a used box, when you thread the screws in the plastic, it will mushroom out. You will need to take a flat file and level this back down. You may have to do the same with a new gear box, after mounting if the support was not in full contact when starting the screws.

The kit comes with 2 narrow carbon fiber pieces, 2 larger carbon support pieces and 4 carbon round washers. 2 of the washers space up the steering posts and the other 2 go under the chassis brace for the front and rear diff. You can also space up the body mount, but I just use metal washers here, as there really is no load on them. Make the washer / shim be a total height of 2mm.

Cost for this kit is $19.00

Again from IGT or Darksidems.

Pictures show where the parts go. As you can see, I did not level the gear box when I mounted this for the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts :):)-gear-box-spacer.jpg   new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts :):)-spacers.jpg  
Old 10-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #1106
Tech Elite

Default Shock Towers

The last part of the upgrade that we are offerning is for a new shock tower. This tower can be used front or rear on the car, but must be used with the front DM-1 shocks on both the front and rear.

You will notice that there are 12 holes in the tower, and if you look closely the upper 6 holes are on 1 radius and the lower 6 on the other. You can use any hole on either end, but the upper 6 are set for the rear shocks, and the lower 6 for the front shocks. The set up sheet that I am correcting and will post here as well, will have the springs and fluids for the car.

Again this mount will be available through Darksidems and IGT hobbies. Darkside should have the web site updated by mid next week, but if you have some questions, just PM me here.

Cost is $28.95 per plate.

I have sold all the parts for the test run, but did a slight revision and have a large run that should be done in a week or so. If you want, just let me know of your interest and I'll get you on the list.

I will have extra parts with me at the Gulf Coast GP November 10/11 in Houston and will be glad to help set up cars down there.
Attached Thumbnails
new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts :):)-shock-tower.jpg  
Old 10-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #1107
Tech Elite

Here is the set up for my "Home" track in Lincoln, Nebraska. Track area is 200' x 100', same layout at 2010 ROAR Nationals.

This is really the base set up that we have used. Small changes for Floyd Bennett, but I will post this next.

Just found error. Rear toe is IN not out as highlighted.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lincoln Set Up 2012.pdf (119.9 KB, 119 views)
Old 10-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #1108
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

When I click on it it's a blank set up sheet! Lol
66 Box Nova all motor LSX
1966ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #1109
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default GT8 Championship at Floyd Bennett Field 2012 A Main in 3 parts

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xKD3w1_0Hw

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX0QM...hannel&list=UL

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Znzh...=ULTX0QMGX2iNE

Enjoy, my fella GT racers!!!!

Andy Liu "Flyin Hawaiian"
bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #1110
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
Here is the set up for my "Home" track in Lincoln, Nebraska. Track area is 200' x 100', same layout at 2010 ROAR Nationals.

This is really the base set up that we have used. Small changes for Floyd Bennett, but I will post this next.

Just found error. Rear toe is IN not out as highlighted.
Must be working tooooo much .....

also corrected the toe in.

This time it works.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lincoln Set Up 2012.pdf (120.1 KB, 92 views)