R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-16-2003, 10:01 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default NTC3 problem

Just bought NTC3 RTR 2 days ago. My Problem is I cannot pull the pull start and seems like my piston jammed since I check my glow plug and the possiblity of flooding which is OK and it happen when idle. I have already follow the break in procedure and I don't know what to do next. My flywheel seems so tight and my local hobby shop told that I have to free the flywheel. Can any gurus help me?
hashini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 11:11 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Default my piston jammed

hashini;

You could very likely have a stuck Piston and Sleeve, common on new engines. Remove the glow plug and turn the flywheel with a pair of pliers to loosen it (counter clockwise facing the carb). When you stop the engine after each run, turn the flywheel (with your finger) so the piston is not at the top of the sleeve (turns freely). This will keep them from sticking until the engine has loosened up some more.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 11:18 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

true....true.....
|BlackLabel| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 11:29 AM   #4
Tech Addict

popsracer,

). When you stop the engine after each run, turn the flywheel (with your finger) so the piston is not at the top of the sleeve (turns freely). This will keep them from sticking until the engine has loosened up some more.

you mean, after run first thing to do

1. open glow plug.
2. thurn the flywheel until the engine cool down?.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:20 PM   #5
Tech Regular

hashini, when you're done running the engine, just make sure the flywheel can still turn to ensure the piston is not at the top. A new engine has more compression then a used/worn engine. This is a GOOD thing. If the flywheel is jammed because the piston is stuck at the top, just free it up with a screwdriver. When new, the piston and sleeve is just settling in. Run it rich a few more tanks to give it lubrication and you shouldn't have any more jammed pistons.

If you have trouble pulling the pullstarter, just open the glowplug half-a-turn to reduce the compression a bit. The engine should start. Be sure to tighten the glowplug when its running though, or you'll have a fuel spill.

If you get hydralock-ed(engine flooding) a lot, lean out the carb a little or change to a hotter plug.
Morpheus2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 06:33 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Default NTC3 problem

hashini;

My suggestion for removing the glow plug was a one time thing as you mentioned the possibility of Hydro-locking from flooding.

The response from Morpheus2be is as good as it gets.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 05:02 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Morpheus2be,

Thanks for the advise. Been told by Angsana guy that is exactly as you said. About the glow plug, will try it tonight as i'm still having difficulties to start my engine. By the way, where did you always run your car
Old 02-19-2003, 07:07 AM   #8
Tech Regular

hashini, join us in the Malaysian RC forum. We've got a healthy & lively RC community, esp. in JB. Whenever I get the chance, I usually practise at the Bkt Indah temporary track. Otherwise, I will be at Dataran. Come over sometime, I'm quite interested to see your NTC3 in action.

Quote:
Originally posted by hashini
Morpheus2be,

Thanks for the advise. Been told by Angsana guy that is exactly as you said. About the glow plug, will try it tonight as i'm still having difficulties to start my engine. By the way, where did you always run your car
Old 02-19-2003, 07:30 AM   #9
Tech Addict

I'm joining..... I'm joining. Last week I went to Bkt Indah but they didn't install the track. Maybe Sat or Sun. Hopefully no rain. What's your car. I found out today there is a shop at perling 2 selling yokomo and serpent.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:33 AM   #10
Tech Regular

I'm not too sure they're going to lay down the tracks this weekend as everybody will be in Kluang for the race. Anyway, there should be a crowd at Dataran weekend evenings 9pm or later .... Petang pun ada gak org, tapi tak ramai .....