R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-01-2006, 01:11 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default condition of terrain when using on road cars

Hi guys i just wanted to ask what condition of terrain have you got to be on when using a nitro on road car.

Has it got to be 100% flat and gravel free, ive got access to a school playground which is flatish but has gravel in areas,
would this be ok to use a onroad racer
gazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:36 AM   #2
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazf
Hi guys i just wanted to ask what condition of terrain have you got to be on when using a nitro on road car.

Has it got to be 100% flat and gravel free, ive got access to a school playground which is flatish but has gravel in areas,
would this be ok to use a onroad racer
Yes, it needs to be gravel free.
This gravel will kill your belts, tyres and gearing.......

If you have a shaft driven car, without belts, the engine then is rotated compared to a belt driven car, and the gearing then is also a bit protected, but the gravel will still kill your tires.......

Running on a parkinglot, or similar will cost you more money/year then the yearly fee a club will cost you......
Old 11-01-2006, 05:59 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

little rocks can get jammed into the plastic gears locking it solid. I had to use a Dremel to grind the rock out.

At 50 MPH any little crack in the street will lanch you in the air, If you lucky it wont flip you
Thedub88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:13 AM   #4
Tech Adept

...and for those of us who have team magic G4's the crystals are on the bottom of the chassis, which creates a whole new problem when trying to run it in any environment other than a clean track.

in my case, i was breaking in the engine and ran over a tiny pebble at full throttle. this broke the crystals and then, of course, i lost control of the car while it sat at full throttle with the wheels turned slightly to the right.

i was lucky in that my baby didnt eat any curbs or lamposts, but i learned my lesson immediately.

track only for me, dude.
schufflerbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:18 AM   #5
M7H
Tech Elite

Just mount your receiver the other way around......

And you always should protect your crystals from things like this happening....
ever heard of "ducktape" or "powertape"?......
Old 11-01-2006, 08:24 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by schufflerbot
...and for those of us who have team magic G4's the crystals are on the bottom of the chassis, which creates a whole new problem when trying to run it in any environment other than a clean track.

in my case, i was breaking in the engine and ran over a tiny pebble at full throttle. this broke the crystals and then, of course, i lost control of the car while it sat at full throttle with the wheels turned slightly to the right.

i was lucky in that my baby didnt eat any curbs or lamposts, but i learned my lesson immediately.

track only for me, dude.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:01 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys
What would be a good model to go for to start me off keeping it as cheap as poss
gazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:30 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

There is one car you could get where gravel and bumpy streets wouldnt be an issue, and its fairly cheap. The Kyosho Inferno GT series. http://www.kyosho.co.jp/web/products..._racing-e.html

It is a on-road based off a 1/8 scale buggy. If you want to race on-road then this isnt for you, but if you want to have fun around the street and local playground these can be had for a little over $300 U.S. Ready To Run!
tunerjetta29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:31 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H
Just mount your receiver the other way around......

And you always should protect your crystals from things like this happening....
ever heard of "ducktape" or "powertape"?......
believe it or not, I have heard of duct tape! and I know how to spell it correctly!

This is my first RC car and I'm quickly finding that there is a learning curve for multiple aspects of the sport.

Luckily, I have a good friend guiding my path with his torch of wisdom.

Unluckily, neither of us have ever had any experience with Team Magic and therefore had no idea that the crystals were on the bottom of the chassis.

Now we know.

If I decide to reverse the receiver position, wouldnt that put the crystals in an awkward place? like, under the fuel tank?
wouldnt that make it time consuming and fairly difficult to change them out?
schufflerbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:21 PM   #10

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

You dont "have" to run it anywhere. But here is a slight solution. Bring a gas blower and some sugar spray , this will help kill the gravel/dirt as well you can apply sugar water via a spray bottle for extra grip in areas you turn a lot....parkinglot racing is very boring after awhile too.

Its kinda like playing alone in the schoolyard , lots of stuff to get to and play with , but its not fun when its all by yourself. Get to a busy race / club event and then see what fun it is. It maybe overwhelming and the big guys will be there showing how its done and giving you intimidation , but thats what life is about.

Otherwise thrash it up , just be warned. These guys are right your car will goto crap so fast you wont have anything thats more than a heap of trouble. Youll have everything go on you , bearings will be nearly toasted after probably one run if there not rubber sealed.

The rest , well its just no fun when you get zero traction and you have to worry about curbs and your just turning the car into a sloppy driving machine. If anything look harder for an area thats not prone to collecting dirt , setup some cones and go at it with perhaps a stop watch.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote