R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-20-2003, 01:05 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Default sorex tire problems

I have yet to try the 40R's. The 36's have worked fine so far. Will see how hot it gets in the summer this year, but the 32's and 28's definately do NOT have the same grip as the 36R's, even in the colder weather.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 03:39 PM   #17
Tech Master

When it is a day with little wind and the track temp is around 140 and up, 40 R's work well. To cold, or to windy and you'll never get enough traction no matter how long your on the track.

40 R's are great for long mains because wear very little and never overheat. So as long as you have a bit of time to warm up on the track, or if you have tire warmers (who does ), you should be set for long summer mains. (don't forget the sunscreen )
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 10:50 PM   #18
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Invector
Those 24's was never designed for nitro cars. Way to soft rubber, and especially if you're driving in a parking lot with small stones and other stuff that will shred the tires. Try 32, or on a hot day 36.

/Pontus
I was of the belief that the 20's and 24's were non-belted (like the standard corally Sorex') and only the 28's and hotter were belted which would explain the rapid wear.

gt

squizzytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 11:19 PM   #19
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by squizzytaylor
I was of the belief that the 20's and 24's were non-belted (like the standard corally Sorex') and only the 28's and hotter were belted which would explain the rapid wear.

gt

I don't know if the Sorex 20's and 24's are actually belted or not, but I've run Team Losi Yellow compound tires, and so have a few of my friends. These are not belted, and lasted up to 6 months of racing. These obviously have much less grip than Sorex tires (any of them), but they lasted much longer, without belts.

Undoubtedly, the lack of belts would understandably shorten these tires' collective life spans, but their lack of durability seems to stem more from the design of their tire compound.

*One Q, are belted tires an asphalt thing, or are belted tires good for carpet as well? I would think that belted tires would be best anywhere onroad (foams excluded).*
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 09:56 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by squizzytaylor

gt

The 20 and 24s I have are belted. These compounds are too soft for nitro cars.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote