R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-30-2006, 09:37 AM   #61
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I believe the permanant facility idea has been "twisted" a little.
I don't think anyone has an issue running on parking lot tracks, I certainly don't. However, I think what the REAL concern is, racing at a "club" track that only runs two or three races a year and one of them is the MidWest Series.

People travel some distance and expect things to be organized, prepared and properly staffed. If a location is running less than six races in a season, then I don't think a Midwest Series is necessarily going to "revive" the club.

Don't misconstrue the idea of running on permanant facilities with the desire to run at thriving locations, prepared to handle the volume of racers that attend these events.

Doug
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:40 AM   #62
Tech Adept

Default wiley

Brent. WWWD?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:50 AM   #63
Tech Regular

Local clubs definately started the MWS and shol still be in the series. There needs to be more involvment at the club level. Look at the Ontario club (they are a perfect example). About 3 or 4 years ago they started with only a few members, now they have a large following as well as have made HUGE improvments to their "temporary" track which they setup an tear down every race weekend.

Permenant tracks are definately great to race on since they are made soley for RC. We here in the MWS are fortunate to have Toledo and Cincinnati which are probably some of the nicest in the US. With the addition of St. Louis and Leisure Hours, permanent tracks are popping up everywhere. I kinda have concerns with people assuming that a permanent track should automatically get a MWS race. Its great that these beautiful facilities are being built, but there also has to be a time frame for them to prove they have the capability to run a race. I would think that a new facility should have at least one year of club racing to prove out their scoring and track surface for hosting a MWS or other regional event. I'm sure Leisure and Evolution are ok now, maybe they are ready.....

With the tracks currently on the MWS calendar from 2006, I would think 5 out of 6 are plenty good enough to host a MWS race on. Detroit's site was smooth and was adaquet to race on. Cincinnati and Toledo need no explaination, Mentor's new site is much better and is smooth, but small.....but still OK. Chicago's race site I was totally impressed with since they sealed the parking lot (in fact I think its the best parking lot surface I've raced on). The only site that is somewhat rough is Racine. Racine's track surface is a little bumpy and small, hopfully they can fnd something else that will be smoother. I wasn't there this year but last year it was gettin bumpy and others this year have told me its worse.

If the MWS was to award a new site, I would hope that it was for CLEAR reasons. Not just because someone says they have a new facility and its better than "such n such". If a club is unable to host a race then it would be best to offer it to someone who is capable. In this case it would appear Ontario, Evoluton, and Lesiure Hours.

Again, I'm glad I don't have to decide anymore.......(Mark....LOL)
Brian Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:59 AM   #64
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack
I believe the permanant facility idea has been "twisted" a little.
I don't think anyone has an issue running on parking lot tracks, I certainly don't. However, I think what the REAL concern is, racing at a "club" track that only runs two or three races a year and one of them is the MidWest Series.

People travel some distance and expect things to be organized, prepared and properly staffed. If a location is running less than six races in a season, then I don't think a Midwest Series is necessarily going to "revive" the club.

Don't misconstrue the idea of running on permanant facilities with the desire to run at thriving locations, prepared to handle the volume of racers that attend these events.

Doug
And this would be an example of a "CLEAR" reason to turn it over to someone else.....But if they are proven to host a race with success, then they deserve the right to come back next season.

I agree with Doug and ensuring the people that travel great distances to race, get what they expect. But even permanent facilities have issues from time to time as do the parking lot tracks....
Old 10-30-2006, 10:06 AM   #65
Tech Regular

Man..... there are so many replies I lost where I was at......

In reference to the MWS schedule and what dates are assigned, I don't think its fair to judge ho the scheule is assembled. Being Director, I always strived to have a balance in the schedule (one east, one west, one good, one mediocre). I know Mark follows the same logic. I am certain that he asked for the clubs to ask when they would like to host their MWS race. Cincinnati may have asked for early in the year because of the Nats in Oct (Could be a possibilty).

I thinks its safe to assume that the 2006 schedule was not set purposly so no one would show up at the end of the year. Some site may have needed permisson to use the lot or space due to location requests.

Maybe we should have Toledo and Cincy always at th end of the year.......then no one would should at the start of the season.....
Old 10-30-2006, 04:05 PM   #66
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Berry
Man..... there are so many replies I lost where I was at......

In reference to the MWS schedule and what dates are assigned, I don't think its fair to judge ho the scheule is assembled. Being Director, I always strived to have a balance in the schedule (one east, one west, one good, one mediocre). I know Mark follows the same logic. I am certain that he asked for the clubs to ask when they would like to host their MWS race. Cincinnati may have asked for early in the year because of the Nats in Oct (Could be a possibilty).

I thinks its safe to assume that the 2006 schedule was not set purposly so no one would show up at the end of the year. Some site may have needed permisson to use the lot or space due to location requests.

Maybe we should have Toledo and Cincy always at th end of the year.......then no one would should at the start of the season.....

Wow! where should I start, you know what, it's not even worth commetting on anymore.

rc racing dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:10 PM   #67
Tech Regular

Default different subject

Those subjects have been beat to death lets talk about something else. I want to suggest the MWS encourge each track to seperate the two scales during practice. And bring up the idea of a traveling FM transmiter for public address.
wizby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:20 PM   #68
Tech Elite

Seperating 1/8 & 1/10 practice is a good thing! It's been done a bit... How about making it standard procedure? 10 or 15 minutes each?
FM---good.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:12 PM   #69
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I second a controlled practice
Old 10-31-2006, 05:49 AM   #70
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Controlled practice is great! We used 15 minute intervals at our Canadian Nats (78 Entries) and our Can-AM Challenge (56 Entries) at our Hamilton Ontario Track. We really needed controlled pratice due to 3 different scales 1/10, 1/8, and 1/5.

I know people generally do not like being told what to do, but at the Ontario track we tried to do duplicate what Toledo has proven to work by using the same sealer and traction comppund as they do. Just a word of advise to new tracks talk to Ted Hammer and get his "Hammer Brew" for traction compund it may be a little more expensive then sugar water but it WORKS!!
Old 10-31-2006, 02:31 PM   #71
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

With a newly acquired Serpent 835, I am really looking forward to joining the Outlaw class next year with the MWS. I ran a few events in the late 80s with a 1/8th Serpent, and really enjoyed the time spent racing with the group. As a new gas racer, it will all be new and different to me, so anything that keeps car counts and participation high is fine with me. Just getting the opportunity to race at venues like St. Louis and Cincinnatti is one of the main reasons I was eager to enter gas racing, in general. The tracks are the draw for me, for sure.

I'm really excited to get out there and meet new racers in the MWS, and I hope to get to know everyone in 2007.

Doug
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:32 AM   #72
Tech Elite

Doug, good choice! Open 1/10 is a small but diverse class. Good to see another participant. All the tracks in the series(permanent & parking lot), are fun & present their own challanges & rewards.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 02:18 PM   #73
Tech Adept

Here's a link to some photos from our Can-Am Challenge event earlier this year. Lots of fun and many familiar Midwest Series supporters to be found here:

http://www.ontariooneeighth.com/2006...06-photos.html
GSwayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:56 AM   #74
Tech Regular

Anyone who applied and paid for a ROAR membership at the Detroit MWS race please contact me.
Thanks
Mark Unger
Mark Unger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:24 PM   #75
Tech Addict

On behalf the DRCCC I apologize to ROAR and those indivduals affected.

If you have not received the ROAR card, contact the roar administrator. If The administrator doesn't have your payment yet with application, please contact me.

Anyone interested in Racing outdoor onroad with in Detroit next season, please contact me at [email protected]

Tom Kelley