R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-27-2006, 10:13 AM   #31
Tech Regular

I also like the idea of racing a HOA vs MWS race. But I think it was tried before (East meets West). The 2 oldest racing series going head to head would be neat. Hopfully it could pan out if organized properly with time and other racing schedules.

I know that having too many "big races" can really burn some racers out and choose to only select from many......it can be good and bad.

Tough choices......glad I'm not choosing this year......lol

Best of luck Mark..........LOL

Brian Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:52 AM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneland
I disagree with Solara... I think the Joliet track SHOULD replace the Chicago venue. At least then we won't have a race director that stops heats from the driverstand because he is behind and is the only one on the stand that doesn't know the race has begun.
\
Personally, I thought the temp track for the Chicago race (Howard St) was pretty good...BUT, I strongly agree with Duneland regarding the race director. I won't use this forum to vent, rather simply state I will not be attending another event with this race directory at the helm. Anybody looking to ask me questions, feel free to PM me directly.

That being said, the crew at Leisure Hours has a great facility. It would be great to get the Midwest Series crew out to give it a go!

regards-
Eric Schutt
MRX4-X F180 Cobra Zipper Kart Yokomo BD Cup Racer FM1e Recoil M18 Pro Scalpel dNaNo Baja 5T HB D8 Vorza ERevo Savage Flux SCX10 GT2 T4 Slash Ten SCTE Blitz ESE HB Cyclone D4 Mini ERevo Vendetta ST Mini T Micro T
TC_Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:35 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Well said Eric.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:20 PM   #34
Tech Adept

Here are my thoughts for next year.

1.) If a track doesn't host regularly scheduled club races, they should not be eligble to host a MWS event. Invairiably these events are riddled with issues either scoring or facility related. These tracks also do not bring racers to the series. The MWS series should not be a crutch for defunct clubs.

2.) Along the same lines, the track itself should be a major cirteria. Size, construction, traction all should be considered. In my mind this elimates many of our parking lot tracks because they little traction, aren't car friendly and are usually too small for 1/8th racing. Based on this my picks for next year would be (Toledo, Cincinnati, Leisure Hours, Evolution, Ontario) Maybe Mentor, or instead maybe 301 raceway in Maryland, or even go to Cincinnati or Toledo twice instead of once?

3.) The points system should not be focused on number of laps completed. 10th in the A, should get more points that first in the B. This would also allow us to run shorter mains for lower mains, and better allow us to deal with rain on Sundays. I know many intermediate drivers may have heartburn with this, as there strategies may be more aligned with finishing but I have another solution for that, see below. This would also eliminate the situtations we have in the lowest mains where there are only 2 cars left 10 mintues in to a 30 minute race.

4.) Instead of Masters 1/8th, have a sportsman 1/8th class that runs on it's own. This would allow intermediate drivers of any age group to run together, and still have a longer main to strive for.

The other ideas were thrown about, were 10 minute qualifiers, which to me doesn't seem feasible in our 2 day race program.

And bump ups are cool, if the points system was changed, and could be a host track deicision.

Just trying to stir up some ideas here,

Aaron
Old 10-27-2006, 02:17 PM   #35
Tech Initiate

Default 2007 MWS Options

Greetings to all,

In reading the posts regarding 2007 thus far, it's interesting to see how history repeats itself. When I directed the Series in the 80's we did score main points based upon what main you were in, but we did it by running 30 minute mains for the A and incrementally shorter mains for the B, C, D, etc. That worked well, but wasn't very popular with those who didn't get to run as long. It certainly works well for 1/8th Off-Road.

If were going to simplify things, let's just have two classes - 1/8th 4WD and 1/10th Touring. That will make things easier to score and address low filled classes. Another idea is to run two complete race programs each day - two qualifiers and a main on Saturday and Sunday. That would help address the rain out issue and offer more points scoring opportunities.

Only running at premanent locations is supportable as long as they are there, (and hopefully they will be - thanks to Cinncy and Toledo!) but once you make that decision there's usually no going back as the clubs die (perhaps they already have - just as they did with electrics). I'd certainly be happy to run two race in Cinncy, Toledo and at Leisure Hours in Joliet and a combined MWS / HOA race at St Louis is something we used to do with great success - perhaps two of those as well.

Just my thoughts... In any case, thanks to Mark and Brian for keeping the MWS spirit alive.

Steve Lazarus
lazarsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:27 PM   #36
Tech Adept

The two qualifiers and mains for both Saturday and Sunday is a good idea again Steve. How were the points scored for Saturday and Sunday, as equal for both days?? Were there throw out days for both Saturday and Sunday racing for the end of year points? Sounds a little more fair all around for everyone if you ask me.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:19 PM   #37
Tech Elite

The current points system is the best I have ever encountered. Messing with it is NOT a good idea. Shorter mains for b, c, etc. is disrespectful of drivers of lesser abillity/experience. Everyone pays the same entry fee and deserve the same oportunity for track time. This series is the oldest & most respected in the hobby. It has evolved over the years & is fair + fun.
Leave the classes & scoring as is. Change a couple of the venues...
Old 10-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #38
Tech Adept

Quote:
The current points system is the best I have ever encountered. Messing with it is NOT a good idea. Shorter mains for b, c, etc. is disrespectful of drivers of lesser abillity/experience. Everyone pays the same entry fee and deserve the same oportunity for track time. This series is the oldest & most respected in the hobby. It has evolved over the years & is fair + fun.

Ditto

As the old saying goes, if itís not broke why fix it. Brian makes a good point about the Midwest series being one of the oldest and most successful in the world!! Making any changes should be well though out in order to keep this series strong.

Mr. Unger,
You did a great job last season, everything seem to run very smooth, keep up the great work.

The only thing you should be considering is a track location change, and this change should only take place if it well supported by the racers who actually attend and support the Midwest series. By that I mean they attended at least 4 races in the series, their opinions should have the most weight. J.M.O
rc racing dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:12 PM   #39
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mark
I sent you an email so you could send me your survey, I have not received a reply so if you did not get it here is my email- [email protected].

I know all the the guys from Hamilton Ontario will try their best to have a fun event if you happen to choose our track for a 2007 MWS race.

As for the racing, series, and points- like some one already said do not fix something that's not broke.

Sorry I only made one MWS race this year, the schedule just conflicted too much with work and family hopefully 2007 will be better.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:49 PM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
I don't think I could have summed it up any better

If I was traveling 500+ miles for a two day event to run a 15 minute lower main, I probably wouldn't bother making the trip. I could care less what you guy's do with bump-up's or points, just don't screw people out of the track time they have been accustomed to with running in the MWS mains.
BYRON'S FUEL/TWISTER TIRES
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:34 AM   #41
Tech Regular

I too, would suggest maintaining the current format, venue may be an opportunity, but the format is "tried and true".

It's very expensive to travel and race, even more so for new or mid-level drivers.. Cutting the lower mains is simply cutting out a population of racers who likely don't see 15 minutes of racing a trade-off for Travel(gas and mileage) Hotel (room and food) and then the typical racing expenses..
Old 10-28-2006, 08:13 AM   #42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'm glad to hear your comments Darin. No one besides me alone is paying my expenses, unlike many of the consistent A-main sponsored/partially sponsored drivers. I shell out the funds for everything out of my family's pocket.... gas, lodging, food, entries, parts, etc....

Track time is more important to the lower main guy's than it is to the Pro's. It's how we learn to improve and strive to run in the higher mains over time. I'm sure it's only a few years back some of the A-main guy's would have agreed with me on run-time, but now that they are up there in the A-Main they could give two hoots about the guy's like me paying my own way.

I'm heading to the Winternat's and the trip will cost me over $1000 easy (traveling from NY). I accept the fact I will most likely run a 20 minute main only becuase I get 6 days of track time in sunny FL for my cost- and a chance to once again see the top drivers in the country run the A-main Hopefully it will be as closely contested as the Nat's A-main.
BYRON'S FUEL/TWISTER TIRES
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:28 AM   #43
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

You could look at a Christmas tree format, and use the off road format from IFMAR.

no one qualifies into the A, so even the fast guys have to bump. You also tend to have more track time as the number bumping up each round is much greater.

MMR Direct Minneapolis World Class Indoor Race Facility.
On Road and Off Road racing year round.

www.molzermoweryracing.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MMR/160679913944205?__req=9

Check out You Tube mmrswracing. Every qualifier and every main uploaded at the end of every race day.
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:49 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Leave it alone! It works fine, let's just try to work Leisure hours, St. Louis & maybe Ontario into the schedule.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:12 AM   #45
Tech Adept

Quote:
Leave it alone! It works fine, let's just try to work Leisure hours, St. Louis & maybe Ontario into the schedule.

I would support leisure hours or St. Louis for sure

STL. CARDS, W.S CHAMPS!
rc racing dude is offline   Reply With Quote