R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-26-2006, 04:31 PM   #16
Tech Adept

We folks at the Ontario 1/8 On Road Racing Club are ready to host a 2007 Midwest Series Race should the opportunity come our way.
GSwayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:36 PM   #17
Tech Adept

You will have NO difficulty coming to Canada with your RC gear. I've been racing in the U.S. and crossing the border from Ontario for nearly 15 years and have never had a problem. For U.S. racers, just registering your items with Homeland Security before coming to Canada is a wise thing to do so you get back home hassle free.

A! I HEARD THAT BEFORE.

Let's all remeber this is a midwest series event!!! Let's keep it in the states, A!
rc racing dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:37 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Take off, eh!
Old 10-26-2006, 05:42 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil
Take off, eh!
MY bad, eh!
rc racing dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:00 PM   #20
Tech Regular

4 hours from Toledo to Hamilton, Ont. Eh. Good time, Great Track. Plus, donuts and beer. It's like a dream, dude.

No issues getting over the bridge.
XPHamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:12 PM   #21
Tech Regular

The U.S. Nats is both US and Canada, a trip across the border might not be that bad (beer and a few speciality establishments with a favorable exchange rate).. And don't forget St. Louis too. Another new track, however, the travel for the canadians to St. Louis would be a haul, and vice a versa.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:54 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Here is what it comes down too. We basically have 20 weekends to hold our races in the Upper Middle with good weather. Looking at the list below, it looks like we raced 1/8th and 1/10th on-road at 12 different track in 2006.

1) Mentor
2) Detroit
3) Racine
4) Toledo
5) Cincinnati
6) Chicago
7) Hamilton Ontario Canada
8) Leisure Hours Raceway, Joliet, Ill.
9) Evolution Raceway, St. Louis.
10) Lincoln, NE
11) Kansas City
12) Minn.
13) DeKalb, IL (rumored to be closed)

That being said, I raced 44 days in 2006 out of a planned 48 race days. I would really like to get to most if not all of these tracks and race and I am sure most of you would also like to hit most of these tracks also.

So we need to make the most of our scheduling. Many of us can not race in back to back out of town race weekends. The other weekends, some of us club race around home and often our other half is not so excited about us being away all of the time. This is why having a MWS-HOA combined race would be a plus-plus. It would be a larger race, at a track most of us want to attend and give us a big race at the end of the year.

Many years ago, we had a couple of MWS-HOA races on the East side of Metro St. Louis. For one of those events, we gave double MWS points to stir the pot and give everyone a little more insentive to attend the race if they were short a few points. Also, with the tougher competion it made it more interesting. I remember a couple of Van loads of Canadians made it down for the event. The HOA guys gave their normal points for the events and We gave out MWS event awards + both groups gave out their end of the year awards.

Fortunately, we now have many more racers and tracks than we did then.

Also, for this to be fair for everyone it would be best if every track only had one or two larger races per season. IN English, we don't need to have some tracks having BUBBA's big race every month. Spread the wealth, it should be better for all of us.

OK, I am done with my soap box. Where is Gottfried when I need him?
XPHamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:31 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPHamer
Where is Gottfried when I need him?
I' am sure he's got your back Ted.

Mark
MBlackketter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:57 PM   #24
Tech Elite

IRP (DeKalb) is closed.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:09 AM   #25
ira
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizby
Combining the two series seems like a good way of haveing a large turnout.
Seems like a winner to me!
Stlouis will be a cruise for you mark 8-9 hours?
My only concern about joliet ever replaceing chicago is would there be an offroad program going on at the same time?
If Leisure Hours dose replace Chicago, they will NOT run off-road that weekend. It will ONLY be for the MWS race.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:13 AM   #26
Tech Addict

The combined series race in St Louis in 1995 was an excellent race.

Thanks for considering the Ontario 1/8 On Road Racing Club Track in Hamilton. We have FUN
ElliotCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:46 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Im in for a MWS-HOA end of season race.

Leisure will close down the offroad track when there is a major onroad race going on like the RC Pro Series race they had.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:52 AM   #28
Tech Initiate

And I'm pretty sure I'am is not right, Mark!

Man, I can remember years where we had to hold MWS races at the same track twice because there wasn't (wasn'ot for Mark) enough tracks.

If Mr. Unger has enough energy, split the MWS into two divisions, six races each on non-competing dates. Separate points and separate titles with one set of Ironman trophies for a combined total. Just a thought.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:58 AM   #29
Tech Initiate

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I still love you, Mark, just NOT in the same way that Ralph "the motormister" loves you. LOL!
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:05 AM   #30
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneland
NO BUMP-UPS! Don't see how that could fit into the mws scoring system. Makes no sense in a point series... Great for single events.
Mark really didn't explain how he would see the bump-ups work, he was basically asking if people would like to have them, regardless of points. But since you mentioned the points as they stand now, here is how it could work.

Mains will be filled to a determined number of drivers (with a spot for one extra driver, bump up man). We know that different tracks have more room on the driverstand than others, so this will probably be determined at the drivers meeting before qualifying starts so people know how many are going to make the "show" since a few complained about consistancy.

MWS points are tabulated by laps in a class and not by main positions, so each main could still run for 30 minutes. The winner of lets say the C main can have the option to bump into the B main if he wants to forfeit his results and have a change to better them and run in the B main. Same would hold true to the B main winner with the option to run the A. Now chances are that many will not take the bump up if they had a great result, but it leaves the oppritunity to possibly run with the A main guys if they so choose too.

So that leads back to Mark's question on bump ups. If you reply to his email and respond on the bump up, express your vote. Its just another way to add some more flavor to the MWS since some racers complain that there are no bump ups. Also, I'm not sure if this is an official vote, but more on the lines of what people really think and want.

One thing I must say is that there are many thoughts as to how to run the series, we should also think about the long term success of this series and not changing everytime a topic comes up. Our series is the oldest and (I feel the most competitive) series in the world....yes, not just the US. Its 37 years of history has proved to work and should really not be altered too much from its roots. Mark has done a great job last season in his first year. As you can see, his heart is in making sure everyone has fun.
Brian Berry is offline   Reply With Quote