R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-31-2007, 06:52 PM   #226
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Berry
Interesting that the IRL is racing in Milwaukee this weekend. It would have been cool to do something similar to the RC Pro thing in Miami/Homestead Speedway. Ted and I were just talking about this. Maybe next year there can be some plans to host a race at Milwaukee or even trying to do something the weekend of the F1 race in Indy (if it will happen next year). I know there is not nearly as many people at the F1 race compared to the 500 or Brickyard so maybe it could work. Maybe someone in the Indy area can look into this

Plus the racers can watch a big car race the same weekend.....like Homestead, and have many specators!!

Brian,
This would be very cool. I think Sonny Brown had a few oval electric cars out there during carb day. Would it not be great if the Indianapolis Motor Speedway built a RC on road ribbon track in turn 3. Oh....sorry I started to day dream again. Anyway, whoever was responsible for getting the rc race scheduled at Miami might have an inside track to approaching Tony George's people in Indy.
John Schuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:07 PM   #227
Tech Regular

Another possibly interesting note - long long ago the club in Indy always held an open wheel race early in May sponsored by the 500 festival commitee ( in fact the R/C racers could even attend the kickoff breakfast and do the lap of the speedway) it was usually at the mall but one year we ran on the wide area of the actual track provided by pit road entry and we had to stop at one point to allow a presidential candidate (think it was Reagan - see I told you it was long ago!!!) calvalcade to tour the speedway.

Rick
Old 06-01-2007, 05:51 AM   #228
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by goop
looks like i will be able to make this race. yea
This weekend in Mentor or the next race in Detroit?
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:22 AM   #229
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to goop

mentor

TOP Racing - Gravity Rc - Contact tires - KO Propo - Competition Electronics
goop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:32 AM   #230
Suspended

Thumbs up

Cool! See you there!
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:35 AM   #231
Tech Regular

John S. now it is my dream.

Well, as my Wifie says. "I like to have my cake and eat it too."

Guys, I am not sure about you but I have to many races to attend and not enough weekends. Occasionally it might be nice to also watch a race, be it dirt oval, IRL, Rolex, F-1.

Right now there are to many nice tracks in our part of the World to just spend a weekend racing in a parking lot. IMO We need to support these groups that built these tracks and attend races at them. It is a lot of time and money to put a track up and going.
Just think about it, you have nice perment tracks in Kansas City; Lincoln, NE; St. Louis; Joliet, IL; Cincinatti; Toledo; Hamilton, Ont; and DC. And about 21 weeks of Good weather to visit these track.

Also, as above if we are going to run in a parking lot. Let's make it something special. Such as a real car event. This is not a new idea, just one we should work harder on. IMO

For the last 5 to 6 years I have asked the Mentor group to try to have an event down on the lake during the Cleveland Grand Prix. Unfortunately if has never happened. There maybe only limited asphalt available, who knows. Mid-Ohio has that issue.

But, There is plenty of good parking lot at the Wis. State Fairgrounds. At Indy, during the F-1, I am sure we could find a spot around the Speedway. Probably not for IRL or Napcar.

Format for these events could be 3 to 4 rounds of qualifying of Sat. and Mains on Sunday morning. Then we could put on a show for Sunday morning as Fans come to the race. Also, we would be able to attend or if you were not interested, take a nice Sunday drive home.

Anyway, Let's keep this in mind for next year and start working on it now.

Hopefully John S. and David Lee could see what could be done around Indy and the CheeseHeads could start to check in Milwaukee. We know Milwaukee was interested after what they saw at Homestead, FL in March.

XPHamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:01 AM   #232
Tech Fanatic

Ted

Milwaukee and I have been working on an event there during the Indy race for next year. They also want us to do something this year during the ASA/ARCA event but it happens to be the same weekend as the Chicago Midwest Series event so I don't see that working out. I'm also working on an event at Iowa Speedway for next year during their Indy Car event and Lincoln has offered support for that event.
I also have support for these events from 2 of the major manufacturers as far as sending their teams and doing displays for the spectators.

Carlton
RC Pro 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:37 AM   #233
Tech Addict

Rick,
Well, you burst my bubble, that line of BS came from Paul Stenquist. I actually beleived the guy. I guess that I have always thought about the rich history the DRCCC has had with a lot of respect.

Ted Flack,
Sorry, my response wasn't really squarly directed to you, just to the question you asked. No meaning to offend anyone. Everyone has been really helpful to me over the years, I just hate being the one to have to ask for it.

RayJ,
You've been a big help over the years, Your opinion is valued by me. I know its not personal. I've learned not to try to do anything to conflict with racing in Toledo, I was actually trying to offer something different for the detroit area, or to complement it, not to spread the racers out in two areas. I like racing in toledo too! My problem has been over the years is accomplishing something with this club that works. I'll just need to get through this year's Midwest Series, and then we'll probably drop out by next year because its loosing feasibility.

Ted H and Brian,

I've been working on the Detroit Grand Prix as a possibility for a future event too. I might have something going on that could use your help on.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #234
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ted you are right there are too many weekend races at good tracks to attend.
I plan on attending
3 RC PRO events - Hamilton, Toledo, Cinncy
2 midwest series events- Cinncy, Toledo
1 CDN National - Hamilton
1 Hamilton Charity event
Maybe the Bryons race
Thats probably 8 weekends away from home plus club racing.
I will also miss the GLC due to family vacation otherwise I would be away 9 weekends. That can put a strain on the family.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:15 AM   #235
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkelley
Ted H and Brian,

I've been working on the Detroit Grand Prix as a possibility for a future event too. I might have something going on that could use your help on.
Tom,

You coming this weekend to Mentor? About the Detroit Grand Prix, make sure you don't do the track on cement like your original area was slated.

Brian
Brian Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:57 AM   #236
Tech Regular

Carlton

That sounds great, hopefully one of the Cheeseheads will pipe up and make themselves known. It would be nice to use their track and driverstand.
What Hamilton, Ont. has done as far as use sealer to lay out the track and use boards to seperate would work well.
I will be in the Wilwaukee are the week of June 18th and would be happy to meet with someone at the fairgrounds to see if the asphalt they have is usable for our racing.

Please keep in mind, most of us want to race and a good track should bring more racers back.

Iowa Speedway would be great. Not sure if Lincoln still has a portable drivers stand and track. Souix Falls may have one.

Nothing like a good ARCA race to put a smile on my face. Those guys know how to put on a show and everyone runs hard. Maybe not clean - but hard.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:54 PM   #237
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)
Talking

i know that Souix Falls has one since HOA does not race there anymore
Old 06-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #238
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Berry
Tom,

You coming this weekend to Mentor? About the Detroit Grand Prix, make sure you don't do the track on cement like your original area was slated.

Brian
Yes,

If the paddock for the pit area during the DGP. If we host an event there, it will have to be elsewhere. My paddock track idea came about for off weekends. Right now I'm just in early discussion with some people involved with the event.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:45 PM   #239
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Anybody have a Mentor update?
TeamCarnage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:48 PM   #240
Tech Regular

Planning to be there tomorrow with Rick Frazier and Roger E Williams from Toledo.

Received a call from David Lee this afternoon. He said the Sky was Clear and the Monkey's were screaming. David was looking for a little more on Power steering. After Round #2 Brian Berry was just ahead of Paul C. in 1/8th Open. Rumor has it.