R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-29-2007, 04:29 PM   #211
Tech Regular

Mark,

I have to go to a full scale race this weekend so I will have to miss this weekends race.

I do have a question, with the upmost respect for Tom Kelly and his tireless work trying to get a Detroit club going, are we really going to go to a parking lot track when the Toledo track is only 45 minutes from the parking lot for the Detroit race. I hate to be the guy that brings this up but I have heard many people ask the same question it's just that no one wants to hurt Tom's feelings, me included. Sorry Tom.

Any thoughts?
Ted Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:01 PM   #212
Tech Elite

The Detroit location is pretty nice. The surface is good, the theater has a bar! It's in a nice area. Another plus for a parking lot track is; the layout is put up for the race and everyone gets close to the same amount of practice time on the track. Kind of levels the playing field a bit.
I hope Tom got some wood barriers to replace the Steel ones though .
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:17 AM   #213
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Just a reminder that the new Protoform 1/8 scale body (Shadow) will not be legal for this weekend's Midwest Series race. Right Mark?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:49 AM   #214
Tech Regular

That's correct Eli. It will be legal for the Detroit race if it's available to all racers at that time.
Mark
Mark Unger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:22 AM   #215
Tech Regular

Last reminder to pre-register for this weekends Mentor race. The MORR club is looking forward to hosting this years MWS event. They have hired the infamous Jim Herrmann to race direct again this year. Please go to www.midwestseries.com and sign up. Who knows? Pre-registration might just pay off this time.
See everyone there
Mark
Old 05-31-2007, 08:36 AM   #216
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Unger
They have hired the infamous Jim Herrmann to race direct again this year.
What the heck does an electric guy know about nitro racing anyways?

With Chicky, Eli, Doseck, etc there too, just put some ozite down and a roof over the track and I'll feel right at home!

P.S. Do you guys allow Paragon?
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:06 AM   #217
Tech Regular

Default Mugen MTX-4 parts

Anybody going to be at the mentor race carrying any MTX-4 parts?
The thing I need are:
Front Belt
Side Belt
Front steering knuckles

Any info or help would be appreciated.

RayJ
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:19 AM   #218
Tech Regular

RayJ
I am stocking Mugan parts this year. I have what you need in stock.
See you saturday
Mark
Old 05-31-2007, 09:21 AM   #219
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Mark, Did you get my PM about the tires looking for 38 fronts

Elliott
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:06 AM   #220
Tech Regular

Elliot,
I didn't get a PM from you. But I have some 38 front's in stock.
Mark
Old 05-31-2007, 11:17 AM   #221
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Flack
Mark,

I have to go to a full scale race this weekend so I will have to miss this weekends race.

I do have a question, with the upmost respect for Tom Kelly and his tireless work trying to get a Detroit club going, are we really going to go to a parking lot track when the Toledo track is only 45 minutes from the parking lot for the Detroit race. I hate to be the guy that brings this up but I have heard many people ask the same question it's just that no one wants to hurt Tom's feelings, me included. Sorry Tom.

Any thoughts?
Ted,

It seems that people have been really affraid of hurting my feelings by not telling me what they really think. In fact, I would prefer brutal honesty. I can't stand rumors flying around and people talking behind my back. Mark and I have been in communication about this, and there will be no need to host in Toledo, just because its only 45 minutes away. I was out of the country last year, so I guess it was hard to judge how interest really has fallen. I entered the season thinking I could try to get some club racing going. Also I had to make a decision early on to host or not to host the Midwest Series in Detroit, so I did. I really don't think there should be any change to the Midwest Series site. We will host the event at our Emagine theater site in Canton, and most arrangements are going in place. After this year, I've this will probably the last time we host a Midwest Series will be in Detroit, so why not have a last hurrah for the club that started the whole thing 37 years ago?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:49 AM   #222
Tech Regular

Tom - not to burst your bubble but Detroit did not start the Midwest series, in fact we did not participate as race location until (I think) the third year when we took over the race from the Jackson Michigan club that went belly up.

Rick
Old 05-31-2007, 12:44 PM   #223
Tech Regular

Interesting that the IRL is racing in Milwaukee this weekend. It would have been cool to do something similar to the RC Pro thing in Miami/Homestead Speedway. Ted and I were just talking about this. Maybe next year there can be some plans to host a race at Milwaukee or even trying to do something the weekend of the F1 race in Indy (if it will happen next year). I know there is not nearly as many people at the F1 race compared to the 500 or Brickyard so maybe it could work. Maybe someone in the Indy area can look into this

Plus the racers can watch a big car race the same weekend.....like Homestead, and have many specators!!

Brian Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:00 PM   #224
Tech Regular

Default Midwest Series in Detroit

Tom no one is really talking behind your back...........and no one questions your intentions as club president other than you being hard working and wanting to have a Detroit Club. I can't speak for all racers......but for myself I can only choose to support one club. I choose Toledo because it's an established first rate track.........and there is NO TEAR DOWN and BUILD every time we want to race. Tire wear is also very low........ and it has a finished track surface similar to many major event races I go to. The first year I supported the DRCC( at Walmart) I was one of only a handful of people who were there first thing in the morning to set up the track.........and then tear it back down. Every race it was like that. Mark, Frank,Brian, Dave and one or two others ended up setting up and tearing it all down. Tom..... as hard as we all work...........why would I want to add another three to four hours of hard manual labor to a day where I just want to race.......chat with my friends....have afew laughs and pack up and go home? I can drive one hour and 20 mins and be at one of the premier tracks in the country. I don't know how many races you've been to lately Tom........... but attendance for on-road is not going up...........in fact it's going down! Especially at the local level. I would much rather support ONE local track........... and make a successful club STAY successful. Spreading racers out over two locations on race weekends lowers the number of drivers attending club races. That makes no sense to me. Tom no one believes that you've done nothing but try your best................ but enthusiasm alone.............when it goes against the logistics and practicality of racing at Toledo makes no sense to me. If you really think about it.......NONE of this is personal............it's JUST the plain truth.
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:06 PM   #225
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to goop

looks like i will be able to make this race. yea

TOP Racing - Gravity Rc - Contact tires - KO Propo - Competition Electronics
goop is offline   Reply With Quote