R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #196
Tech Regular

I guess I might as well step in since I was the one that brought this up at the 1st race we had in Cinci. I was approached by some racers that had used these (rear/front) tires last year at tracks that didn’t have great traction to see if all 1/8th drivers would consider a gentleman’s agreement that no one use them. They each thought it wasn’t good for the hobby to have to spend that much extra $$$ to go XXX faster. If everyone then spends $$$ money to XXX faster all that is accomplished is we all go faster, we all finish in the same order and we all spend $$$$$$$$$ more. Doesn’t bother the driver that gets his tires for free though. And if we all got our tires for free I guess this is a mute point.
As I had said in the drivers meeting this is not something that can easily be enforced, nor do I plan on trying to enforce it. So I asked that all drivers not use them.
I know this can be an issue about many parts and equipment in this hobby. But this is one that helps keep the cost down, and if everyone abides by it the racing will be as competitive as it has been.

Mark
Mark Unger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:17 PM   #197
Tech Adept

The rule is easy to enforce, when you see a driver go into qualifying with a 72mm front and a 73 rear, and come of the track after a qualifier with a 62mm front and a 72 rear you'll know exactly what's up. You can just tell by watching the car go through the corners, it's obvious.

Tires are king on the parking lot tracks, rear/fronts or soft fronts, if you have them you will go much faster, no matter what. This was clear to me at Racine last year, when many of the guys had 32's and 30's.... And I didn't.

Then we went to Mentor, and BSR was out of the 30's, so the rear/fronts started. I was able to get some Enneti 30's, which were good, but not nearly as good as rear/fronts. The 30’s might have been good enough for the mains, without tire change. The rear/front combo would have required 2 changes in the Main, if not 3. But then it got rained out.

At Detroit I ran the rear/fronts for the first time in qualfiying and the car was significantly faster than the field. On Sunday I switched to 30 fronts, changed my car, and was able to run the main on 30 fronts without a tire change.

The way the points are setup, with a rainout, if you don't have them, you’re done. In the main with tires changes and everything I can't imagine that the front/rear combo 3 tire changes later would beat normal soft fronts.

This type of rule is a lot like real racing, if teams could they would have qualifying cars and then main cars, and it would that much more costly to for teams to compete. I still think it's a good idea to ban it. There is a lot of technology in racing that gets banned because it's bad for racing. Paul, Chris, myself and other's that were running them (at the time) didn't think it was good thing to do. But nobody was willing to stop it; I commend Mark for putting his foot down this. If the spirit of the series is to have fun, and have a level playing field, where everyone gets equal opportunity, then this rule makes sense to me. Even though philosophically I'd rather go faster, even if it cost me more money to go racing...
Old 05-18-2007, 06:04 AM   #198
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_buran
There is a lot of technology in racing that gets banned because it's bad for racing.
This is true.

For example: Back in the late 80's/early 90's, LRP developed an electronic traction-control system for electric off-road buggies. It was quickly ruled illegal.
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:49 AM   #199
Tech Regular

Default Gentleman's Agreement on tires?

Mark I know that teching is tough to enforce at Midwest series races, but what if someone actually lodges a protest at the race? At some point this may happen. How will it be treated? If you come out and say that your not going to actively enforce it people will do it. Of course maybe I should keep my mouth shut since I'm not racing 1/8th, but the same scenario could hold true for sedans. Many of our 1/10th scales become push wagons on parking lot tracks as well. I just think that a plain gentlemans agreement will be tough to enforce one way or another. Many of our sedans are also getting lighter and lighter, For example the Mugen's and X-ray's are already way underweight right from the start? Just curious on how a specific protest will be handled.
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:11 AM   #200
Tech Regular

Ray,
The MWS is supposed to be an event to compete and have fun. With the emphasis on having fun. Ever since I have been running in the MWS everyone has been on their honor to abide by ROAR rules. The MWS is no more then a large club race that hopefully attracts a large turnout. We race for plaques, trophies and maybe a little bragging rights. If someone thinks they need to ignore the rules they were asked to honor then I guess that person can say” Yeah I won. But I had to cheat to do it”. That’s too bad if they feel that way. So unless we go into a full blown tech that surly can happen. All I can ask is that everyone play fair and don’t try and do something that would warrant a protest. With no tech there is really no way to handle a protest. So I guess there is NO protesting. Fun ONLY!
Mark
Old 05-18-2007, 11:22 AM   #201
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Unger
Ray,
The MWS is supposed to be an event to compete and have fun. With the emphasis on having fun. Ever since I have been running in the MWS everyone has been on their honor to abide by ROAR rules. The MWS is no more then a large club race that hopefully attracts a large turnout. We race for plaques, trophies and maybe a little bragging rights. If someone thinks they need to ignore the rules they were asked to honor then I guess that person can say” Yeah I won. But I had to cheat to do it”. That’s too bad if they feel that way. So unless we go into a full blown tech that surly can happen. All I can ask is that everyone play fair and don’t try and do something that would warrant a protest. With no tech there is really no way to handle a protest. So I guess there is NO protesting. Fun ONLY!
Mark
Mark, I agree. You are doing a great job.
John Schuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #202
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Berry
I am writing up a report and should have it up by the end of the week.

End of week 2
Old 05-19-2007, 09:29 PM   #203
Tech Regular

I will see if I can find a scale for Sunday afternoons.

It is always best to be judged by your peers.
XPHamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:11 AM   #204
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Excellent job Brian. See you this weekend. THANKS
Old 05-21-2007, 07:03 AM   #205
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdude
Excellent job Brian. See you this weekend. THANKS
Eli, I was finally able to spend more than 30 minutes on it . It was around midnight but still its finally done. Now I can spend some time working on my car and engines for this weekend to keep up with you. See you then.
Brian Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:44 AM   #206
Tech Regular

The Racine club has just announced that they will have a new race site for this years MWS race. It is in the same general area and we will update the MWS web site to reflect that. It is close to the intersection of Rt. 94 and Rt. 20 (Washington Ave). They say the pavement is fairly new and smooth.
Remember to pre-register for the MWS in Mentor in less then 2 weeks. Go to www.midwestseries.com to do so.
Mark
Old 05-29-2007, 07:10 AM   #207
Tech Regular

Only a couple of days until the Mentor MWS race. Please help us out by pre-registering at www.midwestseries.com
See you there.
Mark
Old 05-29-2007, 11:41 AM   #208
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Nice local hotels

Please give info for MWS Detroit Hotel information and directions coming from Cleveland thanks.
mtx3ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:08 PM   #209
Tech Regular

All information for all of the host tracks is available by going to the www.midwsestseries.com web site. If there is something you can't find there just let me know.
Mark
Old 05-29-2007, 12:09 PM   #210
Tech Regular

Oh, I did it again. I mispelled the MWS web site. The correct site is www.midwestseries.com