R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-13-2003, 04:32 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Lightbulb Question concerning my new engine, Please help!

Hi! finally after seating out for about two week I get to finish braking in my new engine, but today when I fired up, I can see white smoke coming out from the pipe. The weather outside is not very warm but is still pretty good day to run a nitro engine. My question is does anyone know if this is normal or not? If not what happeing to my engine? I don't think it is though but not sure. My engine is .12 Sirio with a Associated dual chamber pipe.Thanx!
Ducati998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 06:27 PM   #2
Tech Chat Moderator

Yeah, smoke is normal for a nitro engine. Thats a good thing. You might be on the rich side if you can see smoke when idleing but if it runs good and doesnt over heat then leave it alone.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:35 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Question concerning my new engine, Please help!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ducati998
Hi! finally after seating out for about two week I get to finish braking in my new engine, but today when I fired up, I can see white smoke coming out from the pipe. The weather outside is not very warm but is still pretty good day to run a nitro engine. My question is does anyone know if this is normal or not? If not what happeing to my engine? I don't think it is though but not sure. My engine is .12 Sirio with a Associated dual chamber pipe.Thanx!
Ducati998,

Not to worry about smoke coming out from the pipe. On the other hand, be worryful if there is no smoke coming out of it because this means that your motor is more in the Lean Setting and can cause overheating and damage later on.

Question for you: Have you started leaning the motor out yet?
Old 02-13-2003, 10:04 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Question concerning my new engine, Please help!

Quote:
Originally posted by jwf-ronni
Ducati998,

Not to worry about smoke coming out from the pipe. On the other hand, be worryful if there is no smoke coming out of it because this means that your motor is more in the Lean Setting and can cause overheating and damage later on.

Question for you: Have you started leaning the motor out yet?
Wow! Thanx alot for the help, it was great to hear that! When I was breaking it in it just got about 120. Nope haven't lean it out yet. Why? Once again thanx for the help to all of you!
Old 02-13-2003, 10:51 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Question concerning my new engine, Please help!

Quote:
Nope haven't lean it out yet. Why? Once again thanx for the help to all of you!
I asked because since you have mentioned that you have just broken the motor in, it may still be on the rich side which explains the smoke. I usually start (little by little) leaning out the motor after 5-7 tanks in which time you will notice that the smoke will gradually lessen as you set it toward the lean side.

The idea is to lean it out enough to obtain optimum power and still having the motor emit noticeable smoke, especially when the car is coming out from a corner.

Mind you that you should set your low end needle first then your top. Also, it is always wise to check you plug after each and every tank until you have fully passed the break in period.

Hope this helps..
Old 02-14-2003, 12:50 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Question concerning my new engine, Please help!

Quote:
I asked because since you have mentioned that you have just broken the motor in, it may still be on the rich side which explains the smoke. I usually start (little by little) leaning out the motor after 5-7 tanks in which time you will notice that the smoke will gradually lessen as you set it toward the lean side.

The idea is to lean it out enough to obtain optimum power and still having the motor emit noticeable smoke, especially when the car is coming out from a corner.

Mind you that you should set your low end needle first then your top. Also, it is always wise to check you plug after each and every tank until you have fully passed the break in period.

Hope this helps..
I see, Well is really kind of you giving me some suggestion, Thanx and I'll take your word for it! Also when I'm breaking in my engine there are lot of gas splashing out form the carburator, my guess is that I'm at to rich, Why do you think this happen? Also just to make sure what is the low end needdle adjustment for? Thanx!
Old 02-14-2003, 12:56 AM   #7
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Question concerning my new engine, Please help!

Quote:
Mind you that you should set your low end needle first then your top.
Shouldn't the top / high end needle be adjusted first? Only then proceed with the low end needle?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 01:27 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question concerning my new engine, Please help!

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Shouldn't the top / high end needle be adjusted first? Only then proceed with the low end needle?
Initial D,

You are right.

And it is my bad, I should have elaborated further. I do it this way (Bottom first) because I have always personally turn the Bottom end needle to the rich side about half a turn even before starting a new motor. This is just to be extra more on the rich side which means more lubrication. Having done this, when the time comes that I start the "leaning out process", I turn the bottom needle in first to reset it to its original adjustment. Then after, I follow the usual recommended process of leaning the top then the bottom.

Thanks,
Old 02-14-2003, 01:40 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question concerning my new engine, Please help!

Quote:
Also just to make sure what is the low end needdle adjustment for? Thanx!
The Bottom End Needle simply restricts the flow of fuel at idle speed. The more it is leaned, more restriction of fuel onto the Spray Bar. And the more it is richened, less restriction of fuel onto the Spray Bar.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:23 AM   #10
Tech Regular

since many of you knew how to tune your engine maybe you can help me out with my os12tr on NTC3. I already did break it in. After running it for a while (about 5 mins) it starts to move without me pulling the trigger of my remote. (WOT right?). I should check the idling speed right? But I dont know where is it? Is it the bottom end, the throttle stop screw, the trim on my radio or adjust the brake linkage or anything? pls pls help me
penggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 12:37 PM   #11
Tech Chat Moderator

InitialD, Your welcome. You should adjust the main, followed by the low then idle screw. Always use that pattern to start with unless you really know what you doing.

penngoy, Yeah if your idle is too high then you adjust it to set it lower. The idle screw is located right under the air filter. Clockwise to higher, countercc to lower. As always you want to get your engine up to normal opperating temps then tune. After you adjust. run it awhile to let the settings take. BTW, WOT means wide open throttle.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:18 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by TheRagunCajun
penngoy, Yeah if your idle is too high then you adjust it to set it lower. The idle screw is located right under the air filter. Clockwise to higher, countercc to lower. As always you want to get your engine up to normal opperating temps then tune. After you adjust. run it awhile to let the settings take. BTW, WOT means wide open throttle.
thnx a lot. oops I thought WOT means without throttle. And also if I lower the idle speed screw (throttle stop screw) that means I have to change the brake trim level on my radio and/or brake likeage right?
Old 02-14-2003, 05:32 PM   #13
JUN
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by penggoy
thnx a lot. oops I thought WOT means without throttle. And also if I lower the idle speed screw (throttle stop screw) that means I have to change the brake trim level on my radio and/or brake likeage right?
Your brake settings should have nothing to do with controlling the movement of your car at idle,this is a big NO NO.

Last edited by JUN; 10-20-2003 at 06:16 AM.
JUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 10:41 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by JUN
Your brake settings should have nothing to do with controlling the movement of your car at idle...
thnx jun I'll do all that you said tomorrow