R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-14-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Unhappy Titainium screws

Hi, This may be a stupid question, but I just put together my mtx4 and there was a screw going into an aluminium option part, Well I needed to take the screw out and I stripped the hex and had to dremil it out. These screws seem very prone to stripping.well heres my question would titainium screws be less prone to sripping. Thanks
saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:15 PM   #2
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

No, it will be just the same, what you need to use is a good quality hex driver wrench that will fit the hex head really tight so it will be less likely to strip the hex head..
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

You need to buy the hardened tip hex drivers. These are the ones with a silver tip. Don't use anything with a black tip, they are soft and will strip out your screws and/or the cheap hex driver themselves. Good drivers are a bit spendy, but worth their weight in gold.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i find that the speed mind range of hex drivers fit presicely and are the silver hardened tips.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:24 PM   #5
Tech Elite

team titan are good too and they are kinda cheap speed mind are good too not just cuz i know the ppl
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:25 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)
Send a message via ICQ to surreal Send a message via AIM to surreal

titainium screws are usually softer than steel or aluminum. Your best bet is not only good tools as mentioned above, but being rather careful when you tighten/loosen the screws. Always make sure you have a proper fit before applying torque. Titanium hex heads are usually less forgiving when you 'strip out' and if you do you will certianly damage the fit.
surreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:47 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Default MIP

MIP. They work well and have a lifetime warranty. if ever, one of their tools get rounded they will fix it or replace it completely. They dont have cool lightweight aluminum handles with replaceable tips, but with these tools you usually never need to replace the tip.
Lil Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:58 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

RCSCREWZ.COM - They sell stainless steel screw kits for most cars, They are the best ever, I Havent stripped on YET. Even when i did use cheap hex tools
[[john]] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:50 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Saul

titanium is trick kit stuff, throw some steel screws in. even the aluminum screws suck. Good tools and all they are prone to go becasue they are a softer metal.

"Failure Is Not An Option"
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 02:30 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saul
Hi, This may be a stupid question, but I just put together my mtx4 and there was a screw going into an aluminium option part, Well I needed to take the screw out and I stripped the hex and had to dremil it out. These screws seem very prone to stripping.well heres my question would titainium screws be less prone to sripping. Thanks
i just re read your post and noticed that you want screws to go into an aluminium option part.
titanium screws are not good to use for aluminium as the screws are strong but brittle and break easier when fitted in alum. as there is no give like plastic parts.
best to stick to steel screws into alum. and titanium screws can be used in all plastics, just get some good quality hex drivers too
Old 10-15-2006, 05:56 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

Titanium screws save you some weight, and they are nice when you need to remove the weight, but they do strip. To avoid this, Surreal said it correctly, make sure you take your time with them and have a good fit and that is the best advice you can take. If you wish to switch back to the steel ones, they strip too, but I found at an industrial hardware fastner depot, hardened steel screws. I have yet to strip one of these, and also they are only 2-5 cents each.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:42 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all your help guys, I just ordered a set of Hudy hex tools, and Im going to look into hardend screws......Thanks again
saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:31 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfoolz
Titanium screws save you some weight, and they are nice when you need to remove the weight, but they do strip. To avoid this, Surreal said it correctly, make sure you take your time with them and have a good fit and that is the best advice you can take. If you wish to switch back to the steel ones, they strip too, but I found at an industrial hardware fastner depot, hardened steel screws. I have yet to strip one of these, and also they are only 2-5 cents each.
I have been using the hardened steel screws as well and have not had a problem other then when i run the chassis low and have to make the screw a flat head to get it out. LOL... Unless I was concerned with weight I would not use titanium or allum for the reason they are softer and will stripp and when you are making fast repqirs they are going to be the thorn in your side everytime.....

"Failure Is Not An Option"
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:53 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Aluminum screws are worthless. Might as well use toothpics and glue...LOL

Stainless steel screws are very soft. They will break and strip out very easily. Stainless will resist rust, but the strength is just not there for our RC application. After stripping a few out you'll be looking for better quality screws.

Titanium screws are stronger than stainless steel, but the material is still brittle. They will sheer off under impact. The heads still strip out easily too. The big advantage is weight savings, but that comes at a huge cost. You should also avoid using Titanium screws in aluminum. The two metals don't mesh well. I'd only use them in plastic and in non load-bearing spots.

Grade 12.9 alloy steel screws are the strongest metric screws you can buy. They have a tensile strength of 174,000 psi minimum. For our RC application, they are the best screws you can get for strength and reliability. They weigh more than titianium, but the cost is much less so replacing them becomes a non-issue cost wise.

I sell all Grade 12.9 metric and Grade 8 standard hardware (actually they exceed Grade 8 standards). My screws have a nice deep socket for maximum torque and they have a very precise tight fit.....(shameless plug...LOL )

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:19 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

By the way, I race 1/8th scale Off-Road (MBX5R and MBX5T), so my opinions come from racing 7-1/2 to 10 lb cars that get 50-60' of air. I'm sure that in on-road, things are different. For one, you don't have to worry about dirt and mud all over the place...LOL Cars are much lighter too.

....But, when I move to NC this spring, I'm looking to get into on-road.

I got my eyes on a MTX-4

Best regards,

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote