R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-12-2006, 03:19 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Problems

Hi,

After 9 months with no nitro R/C I'm struggling to start my never broken in V -One RRR.

After loading the tank full with 15% charging the glow starter and starter box batteries (only 1800mh is this enough 6 volts each *2).
Anyway,
After lineing the clutch up and raising the throttle slightly with the glow starter on and heating the clutch rotated but did not fire?
I think the clutch might not be making good contact with the starter whell any tricks to solve this?
theBUZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:52 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Dude, what engine is it? Is the engine turning over at all? Does the piston get stuck at TDC (flywheel stops turning and gets stuck)? Some of these engines are VERY tight when brand new.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:25 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

the clutch is attached to the flywheel, and the clutch is inside the bell housing. what makes contact with the starter box is the flywheel.

Serpentd asked if the engine is cranking over or the starter box is just spinning. If the engine does crank you will here a "pa pa pa pa" sound from the exhaust, then you know the flywheel has good contact.

you didn't say that you primed the engine - a must! if your fuel tank has a primer button push it several times until you see fuel come up the line. Stop when the fuel reaches the carb, no more! If no primer button, put your finger over the exhaust hole and crank over the engine untill fuel is at the carb. Then put on the glo starter and try to start for 5 seconds intervals
Thedub88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:35 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

The engine is an OS .12 TZ and id does pinch at TDC. I dont think the flywheel is making good contact as the engine is not cranking and yes I forgot to mention priming - but I do prime .
theBUZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:25 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Default Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBUZZ
The engine is an OS .12 TZ and id does pinch at TDC. I dont think the flywheel is making good contact as the engine is not cranking and yes I forgot to mention priming - but I do prime .
Hi there

Mr brother has got the same engine and yes this engne when new sticks allot. What you got to do is turn the fly wheel by hand allowing for the most amount of movement and then use the start box. Once the flywheel is turning don't stop until it takes.

Also, keep checking the flywheel and make sure it spins when on teh start box - if it does not spin - then take a screw driver and gently pull the flywheel pass the sticky point - then start again...

Hope this helps...

Acid
Acid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

yea i had the same problem with my new engine, i didnt see that it was making a bad contact, and spent hours tryin to start it
and suddendly wen i push back on the car at a slight angle it starts!!
one of them fings you learn by doing it
bigboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:28 AM   #7
Tech Adept

My advise is to replace the batt pack wif a 12v rechargeable (lead acid cell), you can get those from Winnie's shop, in order not to spend unneccesary $, bring dw ur starter box show it to her.

Alright, as for the break in for OS engines, usually tight in the beginning,

1. try loosen the glowplug alittle and run it on the starter box with the glow starter. (make sure u align e contact with the flywheel n the rubber padding)

2. when fuel gets into the shaft it will loosen up and ur next attempt shld be smoother to start it.

3. once ur engine fire leave the glow starter on for 5 - 10s before removing it.

alternatively, i guess u might over prime while trying to get it started as i do hee, remove glow plug cover the opening wif a clean cloth as fuel will splash out when u try to run it without the plug head. this is to remove excessive fuel. chk that ur carbre.. gap is probably adjusted guess the setting is .5mm

if still wont run, check ur clutch installation, u shld visit http://www.nitrokb.com/vonerrr/ under the build tips, it provides great info

Last edited by Black_Widow; 10-19-2006 at 06:54 AM.
Black_Widow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:16 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to ProE Send a message via Skype™ to ProE

This os Engine is very tight when new. You need to heat up the head to about 85 deg celsius before even turning the engine over. You need to do this for about 5-8 tanks during brake in of the engine.

Use a hair dryer or hot air gun to warm the heat up.
ProE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:01 AM   #9
Tech Master

do not forget to check your glow plug if it is still glow when you attach the igniter. other than that it is all been said in this thread for you to start your engine.
1) Heat up the head to about 120 deg. frht. (loosen up TDC)
2) Fly wheel not making contact? as long as you hear the " pa pa pa" when you push the car against the starter? no problem there...
3) all fuel lines attached?
4) 1-2 mm opening on the carb when fully closed.
5) fuel on the lines.
enjoy..........
RCRjuanabbe is offline   Reply With Quote