R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #31
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Lightbulb

The subject is on my mind and has been on my mind even before this topic was created. Most of you know that I am always doing things to try and make our race season better year to year. I have done all that I can and more. I my self was a semi hack I guess a few years back when we in our other location but I learned fast because I followed the lines of the faster guys and drew from the driving experience of racers that were better than me.

There are those that are in the Sport that do not take it that serious, and there are those of us that take it too serious. We need to not segregate racers but bring the racing to a level that all can learn form one another. That is how I came in the game, but some where along the line this ART of helping has been lost. I am not going to single anyone out but if WE do not teach the newer racers then who will?! This is the issue that needs to be addressed. Teaching racers the Etiquette of the game, we can all talk and type until we are blue in the fingers and face but I say actions speak louder than words. It takes a parent to have a child but it takes a VILLAGE OF RC'ers to raise that same new born. We must say something when we see something this is the attitude that we have tried to start at FBF it has not really caught on as well as I would have liked it to but eventually it will. By doing this then and only then are we going to correct the hack situation or any situation for that matter. The weight and gravity of this situation is one that can make or breaking Racing. We all see faster guys and want our cars to go as fast as they are and take the same lines as they do but in reality that is not the way it goes. Time teaches racers that setup and homework and practice give you what the others may have over you. But we must remember to TELL the guys that are screwing you not just by jumping on him and screaming or cursing and yelling. That accomplishes nothing very often, it in fact only makes the guys worse because they never learn and take criticism as insult when not directed properly.

Diplomatically there is a solution and the only fair one that does not effect the races and the racers as much as a sportsman class would be not only ranking the racer but also having his lap times speak for him. If indeed you are as good as the hand and eye coordination places you then you will eventually GET where you belong ! We must start for 2007 in which I will do a lot less racing to make racing better for the Region by starting to:

Enforce rules
Mock Teched races (running a club race just as stringent as a Regional race)
Reshuffles after all Qualifiers ( This means check the sheets DONíT ASSUME the race that you are in)
Classify racers
Black Flag the Hacks ( I will become hated but as Jim, Ted, Brian, John have told me it comes with the job)
Racers must police racers
Marshalling (getting better but not 100% next step is to kill the qualifier, not docking a lap to some that is a joke)

I have a detailed list that will be discussed for the upcoming season and this is on the TOP of the list. A meeting will be scheduled possibly for the last scheduled race of the season. It will be emailed out to those that wish to attend. Please send me your email if you wish to be added to the list [email protected]

There are a lot of people out there with ideas and thoughts and all of which may sound good but we need solutions that will not affect the race day with additional heats and added cost to trophy races. The reason why FRR has a committee is to solve the issues, this forum I am sure filled with a large talent and idea pool will have a million answers but not all will apply or can be applied this is why these issues have plagued the sport since it started. I am not claiming to have the answers but am willing to work and be part of the solution and take in the voices and words and try and melt them all together and make sense of something that will work and can be applied to minimally effect by limiting splash damage to a race day. Racing must be fun at all cost and once you lose that you might as well turn in your remote. Keep the ideas coming I read them all from the Netherlands to the US.

"Failure Is Not An Option"
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:02 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well said Rick.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:04 PM   #33
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via MSN to Pooh2

Rick, how long has our boy Dread been racing? And how many times do we have 2 tell him the same thing over and over again? Ppl r gonna do what they want 2 do when they want 2 do it. Floyed is a GREAT place 2 race. And I love racing there. The effort u guys put in2 the club is remarkable 2 say the least. But how can u teach guys that don't want 2 learn? How can u tell a guy that makes the A-main when the fast guys take a race off that he should pull over when a faster guy is bhind him a 2 laps ahead? It's not going 2 b easy at all. That's y I say nothing 2 them and just try my best 2 avoid them when it's possible. There needs 2 b driver ratings! If a guy is a A-main driver all the A-main guys know. And if u're a b main guy then all the b guys know. Bottom line is, everybody should know their roll. Cuz all the other guys do.

"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:57 PM   #34
Tech Addict

Pooh I understand completely what you are saying but you know what, before I became so involved in the Sort as to organizing I was one of those that sat back and said nothing too. It is my fault as well and we must all be willing to admit to fault and accept blame. Now we can not give a hack super driving powers but we can teach them and all can learn from the oldest to the youngest. Driving abilities have been increased 10 fold this past 2 seasons but there are those that have a perception different from that of reality.

If you like me were one of the ones that sat back and said nothing then it is your fault too. That is just like the generation that is being raised today. The old adage of spare the rod spoil the child comes to mind. This current generation of degenerates and butt nuggets are the problem of society and must be dealt with. The reason the generation is a waste because you become so tied up by being bound as not to do or say anything to anyone that we let misguided rights become a way of life when we should have Whip their ASS from the start. So in saying this I mean that if you put a stop to he BS as it arises you nip it in the bud but if you allow the crab grass to grow eventually you end up with weeds. Pluck the weeds as they are sprouts and the problem no longer exists, and nothing in this life that comes easy is worth a damn so yes it will be hard but I like many other that keep doing it day in and day out REFUSE TO FAIL.

I believe I can beat the sea and I believe I can beat the wind and fire. Trials and tribulations are going to come and go but only the strong will survive.

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION

Old 10-14-2006, 02:04 PM   #35
Tech Addict

That's exactly what we need to do for next season Rick......start black flaging people for hacking, because I believe most of them don't show courtesy because they see there are no consequences to it now. Once they see that they will be taken off the track for doing so I'm sure that things will change drastically.

Taurean.....if you're saying that A-Main drivers should stay together, B-Main drivers and so on, this is like suggesting that there shouldn't be bumps up. At Floyd, the difference between the B and A-Main is about 2 laps most of the time.

I'll take Pops who drives touring car as an example. Pops is just cruising when he's driving, but guess what, he moves over and lets the faster guys pass as soon as he sees them coming up behind him. I will also take us back to the last club race and I do remember that in a couple of the heats the one with most of the so called non top drivers had the cleanest qualifier and the one with all the top drivers who hitting left, right and center.

The rating system though, seems to be a more suitable solution other re-shuffling. This however shouldn't not limit how high a racer can place, since on any given day a driver may kick A$$ and not be too far off of the faster guys.

As Rick said again, we should all meet and hear what everyone has to say and we definitely can make it where everyone is happy about coming out to race.
pelico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:45 PM   #36
Tech Elite

There needs 2 b driver rating system. It will b more fun 4 everyone at that point. There have been guys that bcuz the last race I attended I was a lil off, they felt like y pull over he was in the D last race. That's bad! The faster drivers that r consistant should have the respect of the slower driver. 1 bad race does not make u a D main driver. Just like making the A when the faster guys don't show up don't make u an A main driver. Being consistant is what matters.

"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?
Old 10-14-2006, 02:46 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml
Well said Rick.
Jim, shut up!

Old 10-14-2006, 03:27 PM   #38
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh2
Jim, shut up!
No
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:23 PM   #39
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default The sorting of racers acording to skill

The sorting of racers according to skill level will only help everyone. This damn hobby is so testerone filled it's ashame. Everyone is acting like sportsman is some homo class that men can't run it. Plus the bottom line is if we have 2 days at the beginning of the spring of 07 (sat/sun).
And in 2 days possibly 8 rounds of qualifying only, you can't get a run it to place you in Open class. Then you need to have your ass in sportsman bottom line. The lap times don't lie!!
I think we have enough time to get the word out that by next year april or may 07 we're gonna have a 2 day qualifying shootout weekend to determine what class you should race. There is enough time in advance for everyone to know about it and to be prepared to do the best they can. As a matter of fact have a on the clock test and tune the week b4 that qual shootout. LOL for everyone to get ready!

The sad part is we all know of 10 guys who shouldn't even have to participate in this but the right thing to do is to make them do it also, so nobody can say anything when there placed where there supposed to be at the beginning of the season according to how they qualified.

2 weeks ago I was out at floyd practicing on a weekday. I tried a bunch of things on my car, I ran and ran some more. I ran to the point I wasn't even being productive anymore. I put the car down and started helping Victor. We rebuilt his clutch and did some tuning to his motor. Now this man is happier than he's been in a while. That's what he told me anyway. If the guys are placed in the heats and class they should be placed in, it will make it more fun for everyone and they will get the help from some of the faster guys because they will have the time to help and not be worried about if there in there heat and main etc.
nytaurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:04 PM   #40
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

No wonder there was no one at the track today. Almost 4 hrs by myself there. Anyway there seems to be good and bad points for whichever way we go. Personally, I just do not like the 1 weekend qualifier for reasons previously stated. Curtesy is a grest thing and should be thought, but for some, it may be a problem as we know. I am also much more in favor of penalties and such.
Heres a problem I see, lets say any top driver, Alex for instance could not come to the qualifier. Does this mean that he has to drive sportsman for the year or waste his time on a couple of wins in sportsman? Remember, the rules have to be fair for all. If you are going by strict times or your out, how could we make exceptions for this guy or that guy.
Another alternative (if the madatory sportsman class is adapted) is to have several such weekends(maybe 3 for the year), where as all have to requalify.
Guys, we have to realize how fortunate we are to have a place like we do to race, thanks to Rick and the boys. We all must our heads together to make it even better.
CHUCKMANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:09 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Sounds fair. But what about the guys who don't make that race? 4 sure I agree with u about the 10 guys that should'nt have 2 do this. WE have been well established 4 years now. We all know the really fast guys from the guys that have some more work 2 do. The guys who don't make that top 10 will feel like they've been cheated somehow. The guys that do make have been at the top 4 awhile now. I just think it should b a vote kinda thing. The guys in question should b voted on by the faster guys. Or just ask Alex and 2 other guys and let them vote who should b in or out the top 10.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #42
Tech Elite

There just should b a vote from 3 members of the club. Or 3 of the better drivers. Names that r in question should b put on a list and yea or nay. Simple as that.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:44 PM   #43
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default sportsman class

That would work.
nytaurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:40 PM   #44
Tech Addict

Lightbulb

Taurean you stopped to help someone this is what I am talking about how much of that is actually happening. You took time out of what you were doing to assist him in something that he lacked knowledge and obviously had tried and could not get.

We all saw in past races that he had suffered on the clutch end, I tried to help him as well and due to several reasons he did not make changes that made a difference, some of the same adjustments that I tried to help him out with you aided him and coming from you it may have meant more I dont knock anyone for who they take advice from but he took it and it helped him and it showed. His car reacted to the adjustments and he did not burn out his clutch over and over as we have seen in the past.

As well as showing others you lead by example. I think that if when an action is done and we start rating and black-flagging racers this will solve the issues at hand. We will have to be firm about the decisions and no exceptions! !
We need to show the right path and others will follow. They will follow if only by trying to mimic the fast guys and what you guys do. The chance to learn from each other is there we just have make it so.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:26 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Rick, black flags wont help! Just like telling guys if they don't marshal they will lose a lap. Just put the fast guys with the fast guys and the slower guys with the slower guys. That way everybody gets a fair race and it's fun 4 all. The problem is nobody wants 2 man up and tell the slower drivers that they're slow. U r the president, it's up 2 u 2 make the call. Problem really is that the slower guys r ur boys. I respect u 100%. But like I told u in the past, no matter who it is, u gotta put guys in there place. Sorry. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.