R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-09-2003, 09:34 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Recommendation for a failsafe

I should be getting my Nitro TC3 RTR next week. I need recommendations for a good failsafe. I'm on a budget right now & can't swing a better radio with a built-in failsafe. I'll be upgrading to a 75mhz radio with both throttle & steering epa's as soon as I can but a high end radio is out at least for a while. What failsafes are you running? I want one that will work with the Ace Jaguar radio right now & an Airtronics, Hitech, or JR Racing radio later. TIA

Bill
GP40X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 11:07 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

You can try the one from Venom. Pretty good. It also acts as a battery checker and the fail safe kicks in on the throttle when the receiver pack is getting weak.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 11:48 PM   #3
JUN
Tech Adept

Most of the guys i raced with that didn't have a pcm radio were using the KO fail safe,never gave them any problems.If you're going to get a JR R1 radio later on get the pcm model it has built in failsafe.
JUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 07:27 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

A standalone unit I use it the dynamite failsafe. It has an LED indicator. its pretty small too. and very easy to use.
Turbo9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:22 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to torchedlh

i don't believe dynamite failsafes work with airtronics radios...anyway just get the failsafe that's cheapeset...i have an XTM that i got for $20 and my LHS, and i imagine that the Venom would be a bit more....
torchedlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:43 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Ive used it with an M8
Old 02-10-2003, 10:26 AM   #7
Tech Chat Moderator

Throttle return spring(trs). Trs are only about 1$ a piece and work great. It doesn't take battery power to use. All you do is hook it up ffrom the throttle arm to the engine head. That way when u loose power, it goes back to idle.

Last edited by TheRagunCajun; 02-11-2003 at 09:21 PM.
TheRagunCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 12:00 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

DO NOT GET A Venom Failsafe. Both my friend and I bought one and they broke the moment we got them. They have never been out on to the track or put on a running car. I was very dissapointed and will never buy another product from Venom. Make sure you buy a KO or Futaba version.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 12:57 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by TheRagunCajun
Throttle return spring(trs). Trs are only about 1$ a piece and work great. It doesn't take battery power to use. All you do is hook it up ffrom the throttle arm to the engine head. That way when u loose power, it goes back to idle.
Also a very good Idea... I use both this method and a failsafe unit(call me crazy). If your connectors foul up or a cut in the battery wires occurs then all bets are off with an electronic failsafe.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:03 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to torchedlh

i also use both. the failsafe protects from radio interference, rx low battery, and tx low battery. the TRS closes the carb if the servo linkage pops off the carb arm.
torchedlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 01:06 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Cool FAILSAFE

A RUBBER-BAN AROUND THE THROTTLE.

Or get a radio with a built-in failsafe (PCM).
PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 02:45 PM   #12
Tech Chat Moderator

Thanx for agreeing about the trs. It does move the throttle linkage, but u want it on the throttle arm to the head. That way of linkage pops off, it still closes. My engine fell off my car once(dont ask) and since it was mounted like that it went back to and idle.

Punisher is correct about the rubber band. They are very very cheap and all you do is wrap it around the carb like he said. A $2 bag will last and last.

Last edited by TheRagunCajun; 02-11-2003 at 09:20 PM.
TheRagunCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 03:00 PM   #13
Tech Addict

I also use a throttle return spring and a failsafe (KoPropo) on my onroad cars. I've used the rubber bands around the throttle barrel (slide carbs), but I found they did not last long because of the nitro eating through them. They worked well, but if I didn't remember to change it at the beginning of a race day, it disintegrated by the end of the day. It was just one more thing for me to keep up with. You can set up a TRS so that it connects to the throttle arm of the carb. It takes some work to find a good spot to mount the other end, but can be done. The only bad thing about a TRS is that you have to find the perfect spring for your application. It has to be the right length, strong enough to pull the servo closed, but not so strong it burns the servo out.

I've also used the KTM failsafe which worked well. I just didn't like the size. The Ko is much smaller.

GOOD LUCK!!!
tekrsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 03:08 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Default Recommendation for a failsafe

For slide carbs, a good throttle return spring mounted on the servo arm AND a rubber band around the carb slide is the safest method.
An Electronic failsafe will NOT stop a runaway if your linkage pops off and tension from the rubber boot holds the slide open. (had it happen)

For Rotary carbs, a return spring alone should be sufficient on the carb throttle lever.

FYI:
Team Losi has a very good Throttle return spring kit for less than $5 usd and comes with two springs and brackets to a package.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote