R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Recommendation for a failsafe (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/13206-recommendation-failsafe.html)

GP40X 02-09-2003 08:34 PM

Recommendation for a failsafe

I should be getting my Nitro TC3 RTR next week. I need recommendations for a good failsafe. I'm on a budget right now & can't swing a better radio with a built-in failsafe. I'll be upgrading to a 75mhz radio with both throttle & steering epa's as soon as I can but a high end radio is out at least for a while. What failsafes are you running? I want one that will work with the Ace Jaguar radio right now & an Airtronics, Hitech, or JR Racing radio later. TIA

Bill

InitialD 02-09-2003 10:07 PM

You can try the one from Venom. Pretty good. It also acts as a battery checker and the fail safe kicks in on the throttle when the receiver pack is getting weak.

JUN 02-09-2003 10:48 PM

Most of the guys i raced with that didn't have a pcm radio were using the KO fail safe,never gave them any problems.If you're going to get a JR R1 radio later on get the pcm model it has built in failsafe.

Turbo9000 02-10-2003 06:27 AM

A standalone unit I use it the dynamite failsafe. It has an LED indicator. its pretty small too. and very easy to use.

torchedlh 02-10-2003 08:22 AM

i don't believe dynamite failsafes work with airtronics radios...anyway just get the failsafe that's cheapeset...i have an XTM that i got for $20 and my LHS, and i imagine that the Venom would be a bit more....

Turbo9000 02-10-2003 08:43 AM

Ive used it with an M8

TheRagunCajun 02-10-2003 09:26 AM

Throttle return spring(trs). Trs are only about 1$ a piece and work great. It doesn't take battery power to use. All you do is hook it up ffrom the throttle arm to the engine head. That way when u loose power, it goes back to idle.

Racing4Evo 02-10-2003 11:00 AM

DO NOT GET A Venom Failsafe. Both my friend and I bought one and they broke the moment we got them. They have never been out on to the track or put on a running car. I was very dissapointed and will never buy another product from Venom. Make sure you buy a KO or Futaba version.

Turbo9000 02-10-2003 11:57 AM

Originally posted by TheRagunCajun
Throttle return spring(trs). Trs are only about 1$ a piece and work great. It doesn't take battery power to use. All you do is hook it up ffrom the throttle arm to the engine head. That way when u loose power, it goes back to idle.
Also a very good Idea... I use both this method and a failsafe unit(call me crazy). If your connectors foul up or a cut in the battery wires occurs then all bets are off with an electronic failsafe.

torchedlh 02-10-2003 12:03 PM

i also use both. the failsafe protects from radio interference, rx low battery, and tx low battery. the TRS closes the carb if the servo linkage pops off the carb arm.

PUNISHER 02-10-2003 12:06 PM

FAILSAFE

A RUBBER-BAN AROUND THE THROTTLE.:nod:

Or get a radio with a built-in failsafe (PCM).

TheRagunCajun 02-10-2003 01:45 PM

Thanx for agreeing about the trs. It does move the throttle linkage, but u want it on the throttle arm to the head. That way of linkage pops off, it still closes. My engine fell off my car once(dont ask) and since it was mounted like that it went back to and idle.

Punisher is correct about the rubber band. They are very very cheap and all you do is wrap it around the carb like he said. A $2 bag will last and last.

tekrsq 02-10-2003 02:00 PM

I also use a throttle return spring and a failsafe (KoPropo) on my onroad cars. I've used the rubber bands around the throttle barrel (slide carbs), but I found they did not last long because of the nitro eating through them. They worked well, but if I didn't remember to change it at the beginning of a race day, it disintegrated by the end of the day. It was just one more thing for me to keep up with. You can set up a TRS so that it connects to the throttle arm of the carb. It takes some work to find a good spot to mount the other end, but can be done. The only bad thing about a TRS is that you have to find the perfect spring for your application. It has to be the right length, strong enough to pull the servo closed, but not so strong it burns the servo out.

I've also used the KTM failsafe which worked well. I just didn't like the size. The Ko is much smaller.

GOOD LUCK!!!

popsracer 02-10-2003 02:08 PM

Recommendation for a failsafe

For slide carbs, a good throttle return spring mounted on the servo arm AND a rubber band around the carb slide is the safest method.
An Electronic failsafe will NOT stop a runaway if your linkage pops off and tension from the rubber boot holds the slide open. (had it happen)

For Rotary carbs, a return spring alone should be sufficient on the carb throttle lever.

FYI:
Team Losi has a very good Throttle return spring kit for less than $5 usd and comes with two springs and brackets to a package.