R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-03-2006, 04:04 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default OS 12TZ 5 Port

Hi,
I'm about to buy a OS 12TZ 5 Port engine for my V one S - and was wondering if anyone can tell me if there are hardships about using this engine with the car? (Mounting, Crank size issues. etc. )

Thanks.
Blazin~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:33 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)
Send a message via ICQ to surreal Send a message via AIM to surreal

I own one... it is hard to break in. Use a hairdryer on the engine when you try and start it up. The engine is very tight and will be hard to get started for the first couple of times. Other than that, follow the breakin procedure with your instructions and you should be set to go -

As for the car, I don't think there should be any issues... check with the manufacturer if you think there is a problem.
surreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:53 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by surreal
I own one... it is hard to break in. Use a hairdryer on the engine when you try and start it up. The engine is very tight and will be hard to get started for the first couple of times. Other than that, follow the breakin procedure with your instructions and you should be set to go -

As for the car, I don't think there should be any issues... check with the manufacturer if you think there is a problem.
Me too, starting up was hard in the beginning but when u hear it roar! rocks man! Still in the mid doing my break in
Black_Widow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

How has the run time been for you guys that already have them?
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

well, i have been doing about 6 mins and 30 seconds to about 7 mins of run time with the ostz 5ports engine. i'm also using an outlaw 6mm pipe the engine has been very kind to me and didn't give me any problems except for the break-in procedure in which it's very hard to get the engine started wihtout using a blowdryer to preheat it. it's very tight at the top dead center.. other than the that, the engine is great right now i'm using an osspeed tz 3ports and still in the last few tanks of break-in. hpefully the engine will out perform the ostz 5ports
doki_doki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:13 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I run the EB mod three port and just make time.
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:56 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Cheers guys.
Blazin~
Blazin~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:45 AM   #8
Tech Elite

the TZ 5P is a great little engine and i get around 7 minutes out of my modded one using the mugen pipe on a large track using plenty of throttle
Old 10-04-2006, 06:36 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Old 10-04-2006, 09:09 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Widow
what i do when i adjust the clutch bell endplay is that i hold the engine in such a way that the rear exhaust is facing the ground and spin the clutch bell. it should spin freely. if not, try to add more shims before the 1st bearing. once that is done, try to add some more shims between the trust bearing retainer and the thrust bearing so that the amount of play is about 0.5mm when you pull on the clutch. when the engine starts, the clutch should not be engaged and the car should stand still. it is only when you apply the throttle that the clutch should engage otherwise you will end up with an overheated clutch shoe or a rapid deterioration of your clutch shoe. hope this helps
Old 10-07-2006, 02:58 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by doki_doki
what i do when i adjust the clutch bell endplay is that i hold the engine in such a way that the rear exhaust is facing the ground and spin the clutch bell. it should spin freely. if not, try to add more shims before the 1st bearing. once that is done, try to add some more shims between the trust bearing retainer and the thrust bearing so that the amount of play is about 0.5mm when you pull on the clutch. when the engine starts, the clutch should not be engaged and the car should stand still. it is only when you apply the throttle that the clutch should engage otherwise you will end up with an overheated clutch shoe or a rapid deterioration of your clutch shoe. hope this helps
How far should we tighten this portion?

Old 10-07-2006, 03:37 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:

start with the kit settings and adjust from that point how you like it best in you're track conditions.
mugen setting is .8mm from top of top of clutch nut to spring nut.
kyosho settings should be near that
Old 10-07-2006, 06:55 AM   #13
Tech Adept

As i do not hav much time to go dw to the tracks to get help and i'm still doing my run in, i discover that the engagement is abit slow and i hav to throttle higher rpm just to engage the clutch. hence i would like to find out some setting from the rest of the os engine user

Old 10-07-2006, 07:46 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
As i do not hav much time to go dw to the tracks to get help and i'm still doing my run in, i discover that the engagement is abit slow and i hav to throttle higher rpm just to engage the clutch. hence i would like to find out some setting from the rest of the os engine user

you should make sure to shim the bellhousing first so that it has just enough clearence to spin freely without touching the clutch shoe( between flywheel nut and part 178)
keep adding a shim and till it stops rubbing on the clutch shoe and keep checking each time you add a shim by refitting bearings and clutchbell back on and checking how it spins with clutch facing up.
once you have that set, fit parts 178 to 143, part 146 and 147 are the .1mm,.3mm shims that come with the clutch.
then measure how much end play there is and shim it till you have around .5mm end play and that should be about right
Old 10-07-2006, 06:46 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:

well, it depends on the type of track you are running. i guess you could start at about 0.8mm. from there, you could either loosen or tighten it. as for me, i'm at about 0.5mm since our track is technical and only has fair traction. i just bought the clutch spring (H) that's on the upgrade parts list on manual. it's bronze in color. it's just as hard as the black spring but with lesser coils. will let you know how it performs by the way, i'm running an osspeed tz 3p