R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-18-2003, 05:33 PM   #121
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Barry, what happened to the other Associated drivers on the Nats?
Sedanfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 05:36 PM   #122
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry Baker
Fastharry-------------- Thanx I will have to talk to Kerry at wild hobbies for her number........lol

Sedanfahrer----------Thank you very much

Gemballa750---------We at Associated are always working harded to make our cars better and yes everyone knows that the gears were and I repeat were a problem but I feel very confident with the new material we are making the gears out of. so give the car a shot again I will promise you that you will not be dissatisfied.....Hopefully I will make it up there this year it depends on my schedual.............

Barry Baker

C'mon Gambella....Time to hop on the TC3 Bandwagon again...

You have THE MANS promise you'll be happy...(thats more then Kenji's gonna give you!!!!
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 05:40 PM   #123
Tech Initiate

LOL... maybe I'll get the car running again with the improve drivetrain parts so I can compare lap times, and go from there.
Gemballa750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 05:43 PM   #124
Tech Addict

Thanks Barry for your insight. As Fastharry says, you have alot of ntc3 junkies out here. Question for you, do you use the nuts on your rear toe like Mark has? I know most of us have tried in vein to get them. 3.5mm nuts are tough enough, but to get a reverse thred one. Well noone I have heard of so far has managed to get them.
CHUCKMANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 05:51 PM   #125
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

and heres another question for you...have you figured out a good way to protect the tank from getting cracked due to the pipe hitting it in a side collision?.....(or has that not been a problem for you)

thats another thing Associated should check out..

Also,I hear you had "THE FIX" on your car(the shock tower screw set).....True?..if not,how do you avoid the shock tower weak point gear box problem?.....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 06:35 PM   #126
Tech Initiate

Here's the magical shock tower fix I came up with after experiencing the screws that hold the shock tower onto the top diff case backing out. I took the top half of a diff case and drilled holes on a drill press through the two mounting points that are located on top of the bearing seats (the bit should be the same size as the original holes). After you do this, there should be a hole in the bearing seat if you look from the inside portion which will act as a spotter hole for a larger bit . Now back to the drill press, this time with a larger drill bit which should be about a 1mm smaller than a small 4-40 nut, I forgot what size bit I used for this step. When you do this step you drill from the inside of the diff case through the spotting hole about half way up the case. This should create a nice hole so that you can press fit some 4-40 lock nuts into the hole. Get a 4-40 lock nut and get it started in the hole, this may take some force. Once you get it started and flush, take a 1/2 inch or longer 4-40 screw and screw it on from the top of the diff case, this screw will bring the lock not to the top of the hole that you created securing the 4-40 nut VERY tightly in the diff case. Now take a 1/2 inch or so 4-40 screw and secure the shock tower onto the diff casing like you normally would, now you can really tighten it down a bunch plus the lock nut prevents the screw from vibrating loose. I filled the hole from the inside of the diff case where the lock nut goes through with epoxy which isn't neccesary. I hope this made sense.
Gemballa750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 09:41 PM   #127
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Rocket Ronbo

hi Barry

Thanks again for pitting me in the "B" main (next time it will be better if we don't try to stretch my run.
And Nice run in the A (next time don't try to give it away with a 2 or 3 lap lead)
one more next time I want to play golf too!!

To those conserned

As for gil and i running Mugens, they make 1/8ths, and we wanted to run 1/8th. It had been 14 or 15 years since we ran that class (when losi imported serpent) and we wanted to run 1/8th again (we had fun).

The winternats were great, and next year i plan to do better (well i hope)

Ron
Rocket Ronbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 11:30 PM   #128
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up winternats set-up

dat a boy barry !!!!
how long before we see the new gears !
how about your a main set-up barry !!well it be on the ae site?
isuzuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 02:00 AM   #129
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I saw Barry's car at the WinterNats, and I can vouch for him that his car was "Box Stock". It didn't even have the shock tower fix on it. He was running a stock (from Alberto Picco himself) Picco engine, that just flat outran everyone else down the back straight. And he re-took the lead (after the ballcup incident)when he pressured Osaka into a mistake when Osaka cut the timing turn too close. It was REALLY a Great Race!!! All the cars seemed to powerslide off the sweeper, going onto the backstraight and Barry's NTC3 looked like it hooked up just before the other cars....the pass on Ralph Burch, Jr. to take the lead the 1st time was great..side by side, doorhandle to doorhandle thru the chicane, around the sweeper, only to Blow by Burch's 705, 1/2way down the back straight!! What a move!! What a race!!!

The new rear toe rods have jam-nuts on the rods....which I think is the fix for any rear toe in/out problems that can be had if you hit the rear hard enough. I've seen this happen to someone else's car, I've been running my car for almost a year, and have never had the rear rods move on my car.

As for Kyosho, isn't the Reflex the same car? If it is (like I thought) then it was represented by Josh Cyrul, who was running a Reflex.

Chuck Carter

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 07:46 AM   #130
Tech Fanatic

Fastharry--The solid axle gear is the same as the standard one way gear(not HD gear)the diff gear is a smaller ID gear........

Sedanfahrer--It was a last minute idea to go to the winternats so Associated thought I could take care of it on my own(just kiddin)well it seemed that everyone else on the team was busy for that weekend so I really wanted to go so they sent me.....I guess it turned out ok, dont you think?lol

Chuckmando--they are an odd sized nut and they are reversed thread on one side so we had to make them at Associated but I think they are in the works of being made now(dont quote me on that though)

Fastharry--------I have not really had that problem yet(knock on wood)but you can try to get hit on the other side instead of the pipe side when you get crashed..........LMAO(j/k)I crack myself up sometimes

Gemballa750----I do not use any fix on my car for the shock towers...the only thing I do is use the Red Loctite on my screws when I put them into the tranny case on the ones that hold the shock tower down it seems to stregthen them up a bit..

Isuzuguy---Thanx and the setup will be on the AE site by Fri they tell me...

The Reds5---thank you very much for your statement..The Reflex and the kyosho are 2 different cars and Josh really has that Reflex goin around the track well...

As for Rocket Ronbo--First of all great job in bumping up to the A..(all in the pit jobs though)lol...next time tell me that I have to restart the clock when you pit,I may not run you out of gas next time..Had to make to A interesting with that big lead(not really I'm just a dummy sometimes)....btw Golf was payback for South Africa when you tried to go without us...LMAO

see you all at the track

Barry Baker
Barry Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 07:49 AM   #131
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Barry, Im one of your biggest fans! (bows profusely)
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 07:51 AM   #132
Tech Fanatic

Thank you Trackdesigner71...........Where do you race at?
Old 02-19-2003, 07:57 AM   #133
Tech Apprentice

Default Greetz from Holland

Quote:
Originally posted by theRED5
I saw Barry's car at the WinterNats, and I can vouch for him that his car was "Box Stock". It didn't even have the shock tower fix on it. He was running a stock (from Alberto Picco himself) Picco engine, that just flat outran everyone else down the back straight. And he re-took the lead (after the ballcup incident)when he pressured Osaka into a mistake when Osaka cut the timing turn too close. It was REALLY a Great Race!!! All the cars seemed to powerslide off the sweeper, going onto the backstraight and Barry's NTC3 looked like it hooked up just before the other cars....the pass on Ralph Burch, Jr. to take the lead the 1st time was great..side by side, doorhandle to doorhandle thru the chicane, around the sweeper, only to Blow by Burch's 705, 1/2way down the back straight!! What a move!! What a race!!!

The new rear toe rods have jam-nuts on the rods....which I think is the fix for any rear toe in/out problems that can be had if you hit the rear hard enough. I've seen this happen to someone else's car, I've been running my car for almost a year, and have never had the rear rods move on my car.

As for Kyosho, isn't the Reflex the same car? If it is (like I thought) then it was represented by Josh Cyrul, who was running a Reflex.

Chuck Carter
Hi Chuck,

Already recovered from the temperature difference ? It was a great time and weather last week at the Nats. I already contacted the guys which sell the alloy diff case. Next year i take them with me, it was almost the only parts that ws sensible for collisions with the bording of the track...

Greetz from cold Holland....
Herber
herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 08:02 AM   #134
Tech Fanatic

Hello Herber and Michael how was your trip back?

The Border.com is the best online hobby shop in the world and the best owners of it they are racers and that what you want...

Take care guys see you at the Sedan Euros

Barry Baker
Old 02-19-2003, 08:03 AM   #135
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Default Rear Toe links

I was working on the compressing rear toe link issue last summer when I was racing the NTC3 and came-upwith a pretty cool solution along with rcproductdesign. It was a solid link that could be adjusted within a small range. You couldnt compress it. Our only issue was you could still pop it off so we were going to try one with captured ball links. Never got to that and I turned R & D work over to another Ohio racer and I dont know if he kept up with it or not.

I think I have a pic of it-it was truly very cool and very well designed-but so simple. As you can see in the pic-theres a slight gap and that was dealt with in the following prototype which was like 0.001 longer. We also decided a threaded Delrin insert would be better instead of aluminum. That way you could unthread it a touch to increase toe in if desired.

Anyways-if someone wants to contact www.rcproductdesigns.com and see whats going on with the development of this-go right ahead. I am out of the loop now....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toe link alum1.jpg (34.8 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by rayhuang; 02-19-2003 at 08:20 AM.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote