R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-15-2003, 04:00 PM   #46
JUN
Tech Adept

It looks like i was on the money for the 8 scale but unfortunately our man Osaka who i picked for the win came second in the 200mm,the ntc3 proved itself again but i think i'll stick with a mtx3 as my next car.Was there anyone taking video footage down there??

http://www.mytsn.com/news/publ.asp?pid=7389

Last edited by JUN; 02-15-2003 at 04:03 PM.
JUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 04:02 PM   #47
JUN
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by ammdrew
traction was good, but not as good as cinn, ws, the track was very fun and a a big fuel eating track... fuel consumption was high...

was a lot of fun though..

the track was resufaced and no one had any advantage......

and everyone was fast but a wall at speed can kill a car, even though i think these were the best wall i have ever had the pleasure of hitting..
Pleasure at hitting walls,something's wrong there...
Old 02-15-2003, 04:19 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

heh heh heh........

TC3 nitro...oh you non believers......
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 04:27 PM   #49
Tech Initiate

Running a bazillion parts you can't even get off the shelf.
Gemballa750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 04:30 PM   #50
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by JUN
I just read a report of a piston exploding,i've never heard of that happening before,stange and spooky..
I have had the conrod of one of my Turbo Rex .21 engines explode a few years ago. Going down the main straight at a track in a town called Stonehaven. It is the longest track in the UK with a short straight, banked sweeper and main straight all flat out over around 120m.

The conrod exploded and sent half the rod through the bottom of the case. With a little araldite and a new conrod/piston/sleeve my dad had that engine going every bit as hard within a week. And it never gave any bother after that until the compression had gone.

But I have never seen an actual piston explode. Maybe the guy meant conrod.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 04:47 PM   #51
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

first off the track is very easy on cars, much easier than cinn, but very very fast and small mistakes take you out... the best part is the car is really irrelavant as they all can handle the track( nothing ever handles the walls) ..

congrats to berry , it was a very fast track and bunches of drivers retired early from there mains.

on the motor blowing, i have two that i blew up, one was very very old, and one was brand new... on a fast high bite track if you are close to the edge witht the needles and you go a bit farther you will melt the top of the piston right off the conrod...... very ugly and not fast , becaus ethe turn marshall has to carry it around to you
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 04:58 PM   #52
JUN
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
I have had the conrod of one of my Turbo Rex .21 engines explode a few years ago. Going down the main straight at a track in a town called Stonehaven. It is the longest track in the UK with a short straight, banked sweeper and main straight all flat out over around 120m.

The conrod exploded and sent half the rod through the bottom of the case. With a little araldite and a new conrod/piston/sleeve my dad had that engine going every bit as hard within a week. And it never gave any bother after that until the compression had gone.

But I have never seen an actual piston explode. Maybe the guy meant conrod.
Araldite???

Yeah i've never heard of pistons exploding,melting maybe deforming but exploding,now that would be a spectacle.

Last edited by JUN; 07-07-2003 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:31 PM   #53
Tech Apprentice

The mytsn results for 200mm are flawed, burch was FOURTH! Third was the new schumacher r12 driven by andy wallis. Unless they changed it after tech, pretty sure when i talked to adrian he said third alot =) And it was a great race but barrys car was just out right fast and he drove the wheels off it getting it sideways a few times though the mainstraight/chicane. Osaka turned in too fast and hit the guard rail rolling his car with 2 minutes to go, but i'm sure Barry would of made it around him anyway as he was about 3 inches from Osaka the entire time.

oh yeah and andy, not really great at starting up an conversation but i was there on friday, great job.
Distroey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 05:36 PM   #54
Company Representative

I left before the a main, caought a early flight as i was out of it..

but the reports i have read since i got home all hold true, word for word, so, they may not present the other side but they are truthful...

not sure if any of you have gone to the big show but the serpent team definatly are top notch as far as helping other racers out and telling you exactly what they are running and having problems with.. the other teams were wonderfull this race also, that is not always true though..

sometimes in open classes, pistons are machined to be lighter, and have notches or holes, all of these things make more power or rpm and have a much larger risk of destruction, so it would not realy surprise me.....
Old 02-15-2003, 05:38 PM   #55
Company Representative

hey you should of said hi, in my second main the front right shock was broken in half on the first lap, and the exaust manifold gasket failed at the 20 minute mark, pretty brutle main, ..
Old 02-15-2003, 05:48 PM   #56
Tech Apprentice

Ahh that is why, i thought from yoru first race you could of bumped again, figured something had to of gone bad.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:55 PM   #57
Company Representative

still ran 14.6 to 15.2's sp not bad for a broken car, If i had not flamed out i would of been leading when the car retired, i had 60 seconds in the pits, threee flames on refuel, the bottom was too rich, and those laps extra time, asumming i would of run 16 second lap add up to 60 seconds, and at the point the car diesf rom the manifold gasket failure i waas just passing the lead car to go only one lap down, and had 4.5 minutes left or so.... but i had a great time, never finished a qualifier, and never realy got my stuff togehter at all, but that is racing, and if you are not willing to go out get youre butt handed too you and have a good time doing it you best stay home.. ha ha
Old 02-15-2003, 06:28 PM   #58
Company Representative

distro, did you take any pics or vids?
i would be very interessted in seeing myself driving from a different point of view, it can really be a great eye opener as to how to change your driving style and lines..
Old 02-15-2003, 06:41 PM   #59
Tech Apprentice

I didn't take any pictures friday sorry, there might be some on serpents site though. You did look really good out there, care was definatly faster handling wise by far then all the other cars in the first main, second main like you said you didn't really have enough time to settle in.

And i didn't really have much luck taking pictures today, screwed up loading the camera right for the a main nitro and didn't get any pictures of that. Also i didn't want to go inside the track because my roar membership expired about a month ago.. I need to send in money again. So i took all my shots from outside of the track with a 400mm lens, really hard getting shots of the 1/8th scales, not too bad for the sedans.

Last edited by Distroey; 02-15-2003 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:45 PM   #60
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Running a bazillion parts you can't even get off the shelf.
Gemballa750,
Name 'em.
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote