Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger
Thumbs up

GREAT THREAD!!!
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 06:12 PM   #47
Tech Regular

Good answer
Any thoughts on what to do when 3rd place comes along?
I find myself in that situation sometimes, and Im never sure what to do.
RC Paperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 09:44 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Default 15 seconds to go, your car starts dumping

I say move aside and let the faster cars pass, you blew it by letting your batteries dump.

Time for some new batts or SOMETHING. If your dumping 15 secs before the final buzzer something needs to be corrected.

Rod B;

You going to be at Citrus on the 22nd ?
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 11:16 PM   #49
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

pops - Yep, I sure will be there. I may even dust off my XXX-S.

As for 3rd coming up on you. I feel the same way as I do for 2nd or anyone chasing you. Just drive your car. If you're out of contention, do not affect the outcome by being inconsiderate.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 12:07 AM   #50
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

If you swing wide to swoop a turn and you get someone diving inside, it depends on a: if he could take the turn - if not, then he's hack. If so, then b: how much of the inside line did he take? Did he have enough of it to "own" it? LIke I said before, the full-sized guys use a rule of half-car-length. . .nose to door.

So if you have to swoop so far out (using the one-way prolly) that Pops is able (with his spool) to dive in, brake and drive out inside of you and you try to take back the inside, then you're the hack. But if Pops isn't half-car-length into you when you swoop in, it's his fault.

Just because you may use a swoopy line doesn't mean you own the corner. . . (the names have been changed to protect the innocent. . .wait, oh never mind! heh heh)

With dumping - depends on how badly dumping. If I can still drive, but maybe 1 second down on laptime. . .and I'm fighting for position, I'll at least think about blocking. . .but if I'm totally dumping, I'll pull to the outside line and nurse it to the end. . . I've been running Mod Pro10 (5 minutes) at Rev and we've, at times, pushed the batts to the limits. . .right to the edge.
Old 02-14-2003, 05:02 AM   #51
Tech Elite

if you're taking the corners wide there's nothing wrong with that but if you are being chased you have to realise that your leaving yourself open to pass.

this means you should adjust your racing line to protect your lead, ie instead of trying to go wide just stayin the middle, hit apex and go wide on exit.

most of the time it is easier to chase becouse unlike the leader you have no line to protect so you can go really wide, this will usually result in a smoother turn/faster laptime. the guy up front though has 1) your pressure 2)a protective line he has to take
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 11:49 AM   #52
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer

So if you have to swoop so far out (using the one-way prolly) that Pops is able (with his spool) to dive in, brake and drive out inside of you and you try to take back the inside, then you're the hack. But if Pops isn't half-car-length into you when you swoop in, it's his fault.
Just because you may use a swoopy line doesn't mean you own the corner. . . (the names have been changed to protect the innocent. . .wait, oh never mind! heh heh)
I personally like the Boomer method of passing, Hit the corner berm dead on to launch your Car up and over, landing 20 feet ahead of your last position and now in first place.
(the names have NOT been changed to protect the innocent. . .wait, oh never mind! heh heh)
Old 02-14-2003, 12:23 PM   #53
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Thanks for the great input, I just had to do an integrity check. My take on my own question....

If it is for position on the last lap.... I will try to keep positions behind me... If not... let them go... like pops said.. for one reason or another I blew it. BTW, not a MS left right,left,right ,block, just driving my line... a bit slower.

I am really entertained by the "Wide turn", "diving in" discussion. That is something that happens every day, at every track. " Who line is it anyway". I don't complain when someone dives in and takes the line... I just can't handle the guy that uses your car as the guardrail.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 02:59 AM   #54
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to V-One S

well if u r going wide and taking a slightly later apex, that normally means u r driving on the faster line. so if some one dives up the inside then they r off line, and effectively have no line to "take" from you,and if they manage to t-bone u, then normally u r further into the corner then them, so u have the line.

As said earlier the real cars do the pressure driving, at the start of the race, u r not allowed adefensive line, but if near the last few laps they r then allowed to use a more defensive driving if they r a slightly slower car.

But it has to be within reason
It does not mean doing the sways down the middle of main straight, it more means as they move to drag down the side of u, u can move over a bit as a defense, but do NOT sway majorly, but if u have a major line behind, i feel let the truly quicker guys go past.
Its not a job, its a bit of fun really, and if u block for to long, people get annoyed and will the shunt u off line, enough to cause damage even, so if u r a fair bit slower, just get off the line and let them go, its not like u take home a couple of thousand dollars if u win like the Real car drivers do.
V-One S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 10:17 AM   #55
Tech Elite

Default Blocking/protecting your line

Protecting one's line is fine if you can keep up the pace. I would call blocking when your noticeably slower and it is the only way to keep the line. If you block, expected to get pushed out of the way eventually, especially if others are bearing down on your pursuer. That's why I love sweeping corners so much, I can usually drive right down against the inside edge and go under everybody else without incident. This can be risky though as Joe Hack may cut the corner dot and run you into the boards.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:10 AM   #56
Tech Master

Default Re: Blocking/protecting your line

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
Protecting one's line is fine if you can keep up the pace. I would call blocking when your noticeably slower and it is the only way to keep the line. If you block, expected to get pushed out of the way eventually, especially if others are bearing down on your pursuer. That's why I love sweeping corners so much, I can usually drive right down against the inside edge and go under everybody else without incident. This can be risky though as Joe Hack may cut the corner dot and run you into the boards.
I agree with you all the way here, but if the guy just won't let you by without giving your car a boot to the boards, then I try to line up coming into a sweeper after a fast section, or a sweeper going into a tight corner, than I square up the wheels and nudge him off the line he's been hoarding ( ). If you do it right, the guy should move about 6-12 inches off his line and tell him, "If you can do this, go for it, just don't be purposefully blocking and/or pushing (into the boards) me out of your position.

In my opinion, its the best move to tell guys that they are in the way without causing havoc, or making that lap 1 second slower for them.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 01:17 AM   #57
Tech Master

The original question
Quote:
"Once upon a time, at a track near your backyard...."
I see this kind of racing every once in a while when first and second are close, and no one else is in sight. I feel as though you should pull over once racers have spread themselves out; so after about 1-1.5 minutes since the start of the race. Before that, its usually fair game for everyone (because one crash causes another)
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 09:32 AM   #58
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
I personally like the Boomer method of passing, Hit the corner berm dead on to launch your Car up and over, landing 20 feet ahead of your last position and now in first place.
(the names have NOT been changed to protect the innocent. . .wait, oh never mind! heh heh)
You know, Pops, I've actually done that. With Pan Car, no less. Unfortunately, I went over the guy's car that I was trying to pass (I was lapping him and he wouldn't let me go) so on the last lap I did actually jump him. But I caught on his rollover (we pan car guys still run them) and bounced higher and ended up off the track! Still won though. . .
Old 02-18-2003, 11:11 AM   #59
Tech Elite

Talking Driving Etiquette - Read & Learn

BOOMER!!!

You know I was just kidding with you.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:36 AM   #60
Tech Elite

I know, but it WAS funny to see my car go flying over the other car. . .