Popsracer,
Well said
CHUCKMANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:17 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

Quote:
Originally posted by rod_b
how is someone ever supposed to catch up in a long main when you are never allowed to pass the leader to get your laps back? Anyway...

I think something needs to be done about the "First Turn Carnage"
Good point. Anyone?
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:40 PM   #34
Tech Master

There is no rule says you cant unlap yourself in a long main. But if you are capable of catching the guys and getting past them then why cant you pull away?????

If you are getting past and then holding them up then the race organiser is right to make you give way again. In this case you should just yield and submit to the fact you are not in the running on that days racing.

As for first corner incidents. These are nearly inevitable on a smaller twisty track when all the cars are bunched. I wont stop and yield 9 other places in this circumstance because everyone is trying to use the same bit of tarmac at the start. Just a racing incident. I will stop however once things are settled down and I am racing for position and catch a guy by mistake. But at the same time if he brake checks when we are so close then I wont wait. It was his fault and he can suffer for his stupidity.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 04:22 AM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

How about this you TQ, but the guy in second is just as fast.

Your in first and you tag a board or something that makes you pit and you come out behind first place, say one lap down. Your not fast enough to pull away if you were in front but equally as fast as the first place car do you

A- menace the hell out of him and try to force a mistake and probably take him out

B- lay back and let him run his race without the pressure

C- something else

Craig
Craig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 04:56 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig1
How about this you TQ, but the guy in second is just as fast.

Your in first and you tag a board or something that makes you pit and you come out behind first place, say one lap down. Your not fast enough to pull away if you were in front but equally as fast as the first place car do you

A- menace the hell out of him and try to force a mistake and probably take him out

Craig
i recon "A" the racing is more fun when you are either chasing or being chased. most of the time being chased/chassing makes you focus more on your lines and brings out the best in both drivers. sure the one being chased is being pressured and may crash out by braking late or trying to take a corner to quickly but at the end of the day that's why you are pressuring him. remember they are both equaly as good in your example.

it should be race pressure through good driving though. the following car shouldn't just resort to a "fast in, slow out" technique to apply the pressure.
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 05:38 AM   #37
Tech Master

Yeah. I agree. Definately 'A'.

But try not to take him out. He will make a mistake with enough pressure which will give you the space to pull away enough. Once you are on the same lap you might be able to close if he gets caught in traffic.

In 1:8th years ago 2 of us ran as a team. In one final I had engine problems at the start and missed to first 10mins. So effectively I was out of the race. But my team mate was pushing for the lead half a lap down on the leader. Instead of trying to pull back 20laps I sat on the leaders tail. I could have passed him at any time but I just sat their (half a car length behind) for 10 laps applying pressure. My team mate was closing all the time due to us running slower laps from close racing. Finally, the guy broke from the pressure and made the mistake. My team mate went through and won the race.

But throughout the laps I never touched the guy once. Instead I went up along side him going into tight corners and then fell back in behind him just to make him more aware that I could pass. This instictively made him run more defensive and effectively far slower.

Team work and driver etiquette work really well together to get the desired result. No need to take the guy out just to unlap yourself.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:01 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Default Driving Etiquette - Read & Learn

How many of you seem to better playing catch-up than leading. I always seem to be able to push it harder while trying to catch up, after an incident.
Once I'm back in the lead, it takes MUCH more concentration for me to hold on to it. If I can get a good lead from the start, I will usually back off a bit to avoid making a major mistake.

Graig1;

Answer is definately "A". Put the pressure on him. He may mess-up in traffic and you could easily get that lap back in no time. (I've done it before more than once) As long as YOU don't cause the mistake by contact, it's all good racing.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 05:08 AM   #39
Tech Regular

What do you do in these situations?
Youre in second, putting pressure on the leader. You make a move inside and he cuts you off, and you knock him into the boards. Do you wait?

Second, you are waiting after bumping the leader, and third place is coming hard. Do you let him go by too and keep waiting, or do you take off so 3rd is still behind you?
RC Paperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 06:16 AM   #40
Tech Master

Dang no. Hes playing dirty to keep you behind. If he blocks you on a sure open space and you hit him, thats his tough. He will learn better etiquette next time

Only stop if the crash is your fault. No point in being polite to an uncourteous driver who is trying to block you every time you go to pass.

A good driver will let him past and race in the hope of doing the same later.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:37 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Default Driving Etiquette

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
Dang no. Hes playing dirty to keep you behind. If he blocks you on a sure open space and you hit him, thats his tough. He will learn better etiquette next time

Only stop if the crash is your fault. No point in being polite to an uncourteous driver who is trying to block you every time you go to pass.

A good driver will let him past and race in the hope of doing the same later.
Agreed 100%. Unfortunately some people NEVER learn and he will surely be in your way at the next race. (I know someone like that)
Protecting ones line consists of not leaving an opening for one to pass. If you go wide and get passed, then cut the guy off, that is simply just HACK.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:50 AM   #42
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b
Default Re: Driving Etiquette

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
If you go wide and get passed, then cut the guy off, that is simply just HACK.
Oh, I guess I shouldn't do that to you anymore. Just kidding!

Here's question though. What if I'm taking wider, faster smooth lines and some guy dives into the turn trying to late-brake pass me and t-bones me? Who's the hack? I was called a hack for doing this but I was at the apex first. Just because you setup wide to come out faster doesn't mean you're opening up to be passed.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 09:59 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Default Who's the hack?

rod_b;

I can vouch for your driving skills and you are NOT a hack. The guy that T-boned you is the Hack. (sorry )
You saw in the main how I had to hang back to avoid getting tagged by the "Other" Yellow car (not yours). Waited for when I could safely pass then went for it. Then 2 laps later he's blocking me again and he's already 3 laps down.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:08 AM   #44
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Read most of the thread, and wanted to get an opinion from you guys.

In the main, 15 seconds to go, your car starts dumping. Still moving, but slow. Do you block people behind you. ?
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 10:36 AM   #45
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

Quote:
Originally posted by spooky
Read most of the thread, and wanted to get an opinion from you guys.

In the main, 15 seconds to go, your car starts dumping. Still moving, but slow. Do you block people behind you. ?
Are you the leader? If so, here's my take...

Keep going and drive clean lines. Be predictable of where you are going so that people can pass you without needing evasive manuevers. If they catch you and you're dumping they should have the power to pass easily. And if you're the leader, they should have to work a little to pass you.

If you're not the leader, get out of the way.

Just my $.02
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote