R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-08-2003, 01:47 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to JaeGSX
Default Hudy Setup And Tweak Board

ok lets start posting questions and tips on setting up your nitros right.

I have both hudy setup board and tweak station.

Setting up my Nitro TC3.

I have a question. After I have set the hudy board. I set the ride height. 7.5mm front and 8mm rear. then I use the tweak board to get the bubbles in the middle? I have never used a tweak board so help me out? After I adjust the suspension agian I get the bubble centered. After that I check the ride height its off?

why is this? doe this mean my chassis is tweaked? or other parts are setup wrong?

HMM Help
JaeGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 01:20 PM   #2
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via MSN to racecar850 Send a message via Yahoo to racecar850 Send a message via Skype™ to racecar850
tweek !!!

setting your ride height gets you in the ball park, adjusting the tweek fine tunes the balance of the car from side to side. What i do is set ride height, then use tweek station or scales to adjust weight from side to side only adjusting the side that will reduce the ride height. If you keep adjusting high ride height side you will end up with something that resembles a 4X4. What you are trying to achieve is equal balance of the car under acceleration, braking & equal weight during cornering.

Hope this helps

DRIVING...An inconvenient way of getting from A to B
racecar850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 02:32 PM   #3
Tech Master

If your car isnt tweaked properly you can adjust the rideheight and other settings all day long and get nowhere.

Before you start adjusting your car, be sure that each shock is the correct length. Because your vernier etc says they are doesnt mean they are actually equal on each side. A small burr on the plastic at the ends can put your reading out even 1mm.

The easiest way to get even shocks is to use a shock building jig. You adjust pegs at 2 points on a board. Your shocks will fit over these without any slop and you simply adjust your shocks until each end fits at full extension.

Now you will be able to put your car on the Hudy station and get it tuned right unless you have something that is bent etc.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 07:08 AM   #4
Tech Prophet

I don't think JaeGSX got a direct answer to his question... Anyway I'll try. This is what I do...

After setting the ride height of the car and assuming that all shocks in correct and equal length left and right (like what modellor mentioned), I put the car on a tweak station.

If your checking the balance on the rear side and say for example that the RIGHT side seems "heavier", you adjust more spring tension on the LEFT front (note the number of rounds you tighten) to offset the "heaviness" in the RIGHT rear. Now comes the important part... In order to keep the FRONT ride height the same as what you set earlier, you need to loosen EQUAL amounts of spring tension on the RIGHT front. Likewise, do the same when you check the tweak balance for the FRONT side.

Another thing to note is your car may be balanced when you put it STATIC on the tweakstation but however the balance bubble should also be in the center when you compress the center of the rear or front car / shocks.

When checking the REAR side of the car, press the REAR part of the car in the center and make sure the bubble centers. If it does not, it could be something wrong with the shocks itself. Rebound rate or shock lenght could be off. At the same time, press the FRONT part of the car in the center so that the REAR lifts up a little. Make sure the bubble centers. If it does not, then the rear droop setting is not equal left and right. Do the same when checking the FRONT balance on the tweakstation.

Hope that helps.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 07:33 AM   #5
Tech Prophet

Default Ride Height

JaeGSX,

Forgot to ask where / how did you get the 7.5mm front and 8mm rear ride height? From mounting your car with tires (real ride height) or when you mount the car on the Hudy gauges?

Both methods will yield different values when your tire diameters are not 66 mm.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:16 AM   #6
Tech Master

That is correct InitialD.

The hudy set up guage is pre set to give a ride height setting according to 65mm tires. If you set your car to say 5mm with the guage and you run 62mm you will have only 3.5mm ride height clearance.

Michael Salvin has put up a topic on the MyTSN website giving the full details on this.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:22 AM   #7
Tech Prophet

modellor,

It's actually Julius Kolff who wrote the article. Not MS. MS wrote a previous article on how to use the Hudy setup gauges. Besides, I think it's best not to mention MS too much. The Mugen guys don't like it

Also, the ride height if measured when the car is on the Hudy gauges is 66 mm and not 65 mm, if 0.5 mm ride height makes all the difference in actual ride height
Old 02-11-2003, 04:21 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

I got the ride height when I had the foam wheels(26mm front/rear on the car measured with the hudy ride height guage.

Wow I certaintly learned a lot just reading your follow ups. However I still more experience in turning.. I know that tuning the suspension right doen't gurantee to win races however I can't win a race or anyrace if the car don't drive right? right?

You guys were right my shockes were off by 2mm and 3mm wow that does make a huge difference.

I am still having trouble getting the bubbles in the middle when I press the car down?

BIG Thanks to InitialD,modellor,racecar850
Old 02-11-2003, 05:29 AM   #9
Tech Master

Check your downstop screws are equal and that you dont have a tight pillow ball on the heavy side. This will cause the car to still feel softer on one side.

Loosen them all of and retighten them until they fall freely but there is no slop between the pillow ball and hub carrier.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:37 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
Check your downstop screws are equal and that you dont have a tight pillow ball on the heavy side. This will cause the car to still feel softer on one side.

Loosen them all of and retighten them until they fall freely but there is no slop between the pillow ball and hub carrier.

Down step screw? or down stop screw? or are they the same?

ok about pillow balls what does it do when it too tight or too lose? how should I adjust it? should it be smooth but no play?

I think I am on the right track and I am almost there. I think you are right I did tighten the pillow little too tight.. not sure what is right about pillowball setting?
Old 02-11-2003, 05:44 AM   #11
Tech Master

They both are the same thing. The little set screws that limit the travel.

The perfect set up for the pillow balls is smooth but with no slop. Getting them all the same really makes a huge difference to set up.