R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Tire Truer Suggestions (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/130474-tire-truer-suggestions.html)

BIGTACO 09-24-2006 09:26 AM

Tire Truer Suggestions

So now that I am getting into 200mm onroad I realize that I had better get a tire truer of some sort. Already spend a butt load of cash on everything else and I am wondering if there is a good tire truer out there for around 100 buck-a-roos? Anyone had any good experiences with such an animal. Does this 100 dollar animal even exist or is that just a myth?

:batman:

kcrunchone 09-25-2006 01:36 PM

Your best bet would be a manual tire truer by OFNA it is about 60-65. That is the only one that suits your budget.

soc123_au 09-25-2006 04:19 PM

I have been down the tyre truer path & wasted a shitload of money. I went from a manual thing like the ofna then to a 3 racing auto truer, I now have the Hudy Auto truer & wish I had of bit the bullet from the start & gone straight for the Hudy. The other good thing with the Hudy is if you want to get out of it later they sell for nearly new price second hand.

Scott Fisher 09-25-2006 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by soc123_au
I have been down the tyre truer path & wasted a shitload of money. I went from a manual thing like the ofna then to a 3 racing auto truer, I now have the Hudy Auto truer & wish I had of bit the bullet from the start & gone straight for the Hudy. The other good thing with the Hudy is if you want to get out of it later they sell for nearly new price second hand.

What he said. Good tools are always the right way to go.

mtveten 09-25-2006 04:30 PM

I am not even sure what is available for $100 but from my experience you wont be happy with anything less than a hudy. If your budget doesn't allow for the fancy automatic version just go with their manual, you may look like the poor guy using it but it is still better than ALL the auto units in its price range.

Mark

EEChris 09-25-2006 05:07 PM

I also have a lower end integy manual tire truer and I never use it because the cut and quality of the cut doesnt compare to a Hudy.

jiml 09-25-2006 05:26 PM

The nice thing about a good tire truer (Hudy) is it never gets outdated. You don't have to replace it to keep up with everyone else.

BIGTACO 09-25-2006 05:52 PM

Well I ended up going with this

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKTN1&P=7

I hope is atleast gets the job done. It will do for now till I can afford something better...

Thanks for the input all :nod:

kcrunchone 09-25-2006 06:34 PM

The one manual has the same motor in it as the ofna automatic; the large motor is very strong. I personally have Hudy auto but I suggested the best for you money. I can’t comment on the one that you picked up because I never used it before nor know anyone that owns one.

Just know that hands down HUDY is the best out. But we must all take into consideration a persons budget and I would never suggest to you what you know is the best when I know you have a budget to live by. If someone had curbed me when I started buying I would have spent a lot less and eventually picked up the right stuff but when affordable to me. Guidance is the key to price control.

soc123_au 09-25-2006 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by BIGTACO

I hope is atleast gets the job done. It will do for now till I can afford something better...

That is similar to what I started with. It will do the job, but remember when you go to upgrade wait until you can go to the top shelf. You can modify the unit you are getting to take the Hudy carbide cutter which will do a much better job than the broken hacksaw blade they come with.

blanks596 09-27-2006 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by BIGTACO

BigTaco, I use this on as well. Initially I was disappointed with it, but I eventually learned the tricks to make it work and it does the job well. Yah, it's not a hudy and may take a bit more time, but for appx $100 it does fine. $500 hudy or $100 integy, your lap times will not change. I'd rather spend the extra $400 on and engines or hop ups or beer. You just have to make sure that you give yourself plenty of time to cut your tires because the combination of their motor and belt system is weak, which is why it's called a light truer. It doesn't work when you've got to shave of 5-6mm of new tires 10 minutes prior to the race but to shave 1-2 mm is fine. The more expensive truers are for crunch time or emergency truing. Just make sure you plan ahead and you'll be alright.

Artificial-I 09-27-2006 06:04 AM

A better bet is the integy auto for $130. Then get the hudy bit. It may throw your readings off. But I just use a digital caliper on my tires , set it to a final setting and run whatever tires I need at that same setting so they are true to each other.

Want a hudy cut , get the hudy bit. Then it comes down to motor power and quality , solidness. Thats impossible to get without getting a hudy.

Otherwise a few laps around the track and your tires will clean themselves. One thing to watch out for though is faulty integy units. I went through 3 of them before I got one that worked ok. All the units seem to have some dragging when cutting (slow , fast , slow fast...etc). The hudys im guessing go across the tire at the same speed the entire time , which does give a more uniform cut no matter the bit.

When I can I will be upgrading to a hudy. But until then Ill survive with the auto.

Team Kamikaze 09-27-2006 08:50 AM

Try the OFNA Semi Automatic #20002 for only $59.95 it works really good, it is comparable to the $350.00+ Hudy semi-automatic truer for fraction of the cost :nod: if you race at Revelation Jeffrey Lin uses it at the track all the time.

ShermanSim 09-27-2006 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
Try the OFNA Semi Automatic #20002 for only $59.95 it works really good, it is comparable to the $350.00+ Hudy semi-automatic truer for fraction of the cost :nod: if you race at Revelation Jeffrey Lin uses it at the track all the time.

Have one and loved it. you can't beat the price, $59.00.

kcrunchone 09-29-2006 11:07 PM

Thats what I was tryingto tell him and just add a file to that and bammm.....
Not much spent and good results, for the money you cant beat it and the quality is just fine. It is really and unbeatable deal when you look at some of the other truers.

rccobra705 11-01-2006 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ShermanSim
Have one and loved it. you can't beat the price, $59.00.

One of these manual OFNA truers are on the way to me tomorrow. My question is if Hudy arbor and carbide cutter blade can fit to this tire truer.

Thanks.

soc123_au 11-01-2006 06:06 PM

Yes they will fit. The tool head may need to be modified to take the cutter as it has a wider base than the blade cutters.

royfan33 11-01-2006 07:27 PM

Where can this truer be found? I tried OFNA's website and can't find it.

Team Kamikaze 11-01-2006 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by royfan33

I sell the truer, if you need a picture I'll send it to you. or give me a call

Francis M. 11-02-2006 08:01 AM

gotta agree on the ofna manual truer #20002. This truer is all motor and at $60.00 you will have enough money to get the hudy bit and still meet your budget.

tunerjetta29 11-02-2006 08:34 AM

I love my RDLogics fully automatic. Before i got out of the hobby a year or two ago i had the Hudy fully Auto, i think the RD is about 99% as good and less than half the price.

JayL 11-02-2006 09:14 AM

What are the exact differences between the Hudy Truers? I've never found a nice comparision chart...

Team Kamikaze 11-02-2006 09:23 AM

I have answered both your regular e-mail and your PM ;)

Team Kamikaze 11-02-2006 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by JayL
What are the exact differences between the Hudy Truers? I've never found a nice comparision chart...

The HUDY Fully Automatic tire truer is the Ferrari of tire truers, but you have to pay the price and it retains it's resale Value, the next best Truer is the OFNA automatic truer which is about half the price of the Hudy Fully automatic one, then when it comes to a manual tire truer OFNA #20002 is the best valued one, and as Francis mentioned all you need is add a Hudy carbide bid and it will cut as good as a Hudy without paying the price.

rccobra705 11-18-2006 09:37 AM

Ofna Manuel Tire truer # 20002, Maintenance

Got one of these OFNA manuel tire truer. The truer came w/o any kind of instructions. I would like to know what kind of maintenance I need to due, to keep the truer in the best conditions.

Thanks

Team Kamikaze 11-18-2006 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by rccobra705
Got one of these OFNA manuel tire truer. The truer came w/o any kind of instructions. I would like to know what kind of maintenance I need to due, to keep the truer in the best conditions.

Thanks

I would say absolutely no maintenance needed, just keep it clean (that is all you need). :nod: optional: you can apply a little oil on the threaded shaft to make it smoother when you turn the crank, and it doesn't need an instruction it is pretty much Fool proof !

royfan33 11-18-2006 10:22 AM

I would say absolutely no maintenance needed, just keep it clean (that is all you need). :nod: optional: you can apply a little oil on the threaded shaft to make it smoother when you turn the crank, and it doesn't need an instruction it is pretty much Fool proof !

I received my Ofna truer from Team Kamikaze a couple of weeks ago. I'm very impressed for the price. I believe it to be far superior to any of the other inexpensive truers I've seen. May turn out to be the best $60 I've spent in R/C :D

Team Kamikaze 11-18-2006 12:26 PM

I received my Ofna truer from Team Kamikaze a couple of weeks ago. I'm very impressed for the price. I believe it to be far superior to any of the other inexpensive truers I've seen. May turn out to be the best $60 I've spent in R/C :D

I'm glad you like it ;)

rccobra705 11-18-2006 12:35 PM

ONFA man. truer

Thanks for the info.

Nitro$junkie 11-18-2006 06:24 PM

im keen on it as well could some one post some pic for me and a quick question for team kamikaze would you send one to Australia and if so how much

Team Kamikaze 11-18-2006 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nitro$junkie
im keen on it as well could some one post some pic for me and a quick question for team kamikaze would you send one to Australia and if so how much

Read your PM,

baih 11-18-2006 09:05 PM

does anyone have a pic of the ofna tire truer or a link to the tire truer ??
i have been lookng for one also.
thanks

EEChris 11-18-2006 11:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by baih
does anyone have a pic of the ofna tire truer or a link to the tire truer ??
i have been lookng for one also.
thanks

Contact www.kamikazetoysandhobbies.com for this truer. I just got my truer last week. Truing tires used to be a chore, now I do it for fun. The motor is so strong I can cut 5 mm off on an 1/8 rear tire in one pass. The motor doesn't even slow down to affect the cut nor does the bit and tire smoke at any time during the pass.

nigelnuggets 11-24-2006 08:06 AM

Here is a better view of the tire truer available at Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies @ (714) 997 8697

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/DSC03659.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/DSC03658.jpg

Nitro$junkie 11-25-2006 05:35 PM

is the onfa one good for 1/8 scale as well ??

also has any one used the 3Racing auto tire truer you can get it for $190 usd and it comes in its own case cant seem to find if it dose 1/8 as well 3Racing Auto for $190

RCRjuanabbe 11-25-2006 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by nigelnuggets
Here is a better view of the tire truer available at Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies @ (714) 997 8697

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/DSC03659.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/DSC03658.jpg

Sherman, use this truer right? if so, this thing works just as well with those that costs twice as much. I saw this truer in action. another hidden beauty of this is the simplicity less parts specially moving parts equals less chances of something that could go wrong. :nod:

Team Kamikaze 11-25-2006 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Nitro$junkie
is the onfa one good for 1/8 scale as well ??

also has any one used the 3Racing auto tire truer you can get it for $190 usd and it comes in its own case cant seem to find if it dose 1/8 as well 3Racing Auto for $190

Yes, EECHRIS USES THIS EXACT TRUER to cut his 1/8 scale tires, which the motor did not even got hot, it is actually asking for more, the OFNA team have been using this truer to cut the tires of the 1/7th scale DM 1's, the tire size of the DM 1's are twice as big as an 8th scale tires and it cuts thru the tires very easily.

Nitro$junkie 11-25-2006 11:10 PM

Nitro$junkie 11-25-2006 11:10 PM

cool thanks you have sold me ill let you know when i want one :) :D

ps what do you use to cut it hacksaw blade or hudy bit

BIGTACO 11-25-2006 11:29 PM

Wish I would have got that OFNA