R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-06-2003, 11:28 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BOLISARIO
Default HPI R40 Nitro Pro car and new RS4 Pro 4

Found it in the Orion website. More new competition.

"HPI Press Release
02-06-2003 17:57:00 GMT +1 - Send this to a friend

HPI have decided to produce two exciting all-new cars in 2003, the RS4 Pro 4, and the Nitro R40. These are the highest level dedicated racing cars ever produced by HPI, they are designed specifically for maximum performance at the top level of international competition.

Exact launch dates will be confirmed later in the development process & only after extensive track testing, expect the RS4 Pro 4 and Nitro R40 to be in hobby shops toward the end of the year.

HPI Nitro R40

The all-new HPI Nitro R40 is designed for the increasingly popular 200mm Nitro IFMAR, ROAR, FEMCA & EFRA class of racing. The Nitro R40 will set new standards in terms of suspension tuning, transmission design & weight distribution. This will be the first dedicated racing car from HPI in the popular 1/10th scale nitro touring car class, with much higher levels of performance and features than found in our previous kits.

The Nitro R40 is built around a belt drive transmission to prevent torque steer issues in this ever increasingly powerful class. A state of the art power clutch to suit SG shafted race engines and a racing two speed will be standard equipment. The Nitro R40 will be available in kit form; an engine, pipe, radio & body are not included so the owner can choose the best equipment for specific racing applications. High performance, a long list of standard specifications & competitive market price will make the R40 an exciting addition to the 1/10th scale nitro touring car class.

As well as the impressive standard features, HPI have a range of options planned to allow racers to tune their cars, as required, to their track & the extreme variety of race conditions; our top team drivers & designers resources have been assigned to keep the Nitro R40 at the front of the field at major nitro touring car races.

HPI RS4 Pro 4

The RS4 Pro 4 will be a radical departure from the RS4 Pro 3, offering a change of concept for HPI both for suspension geometry & transmission. Extensive track testing of all existing electric 1/10th scale touring cars & HPI prototypes has already been done, the all-new RS4 Pro 4 is the result of that testing.

The Pro 4 features big changes over the Pro 3... new drivetrain, new suspension, and new steering geometry. Consistency, tuning options & drivability have all been dramatically improved. The most significant change is that the Pro 4, at the requests of our drivers & customers, uses a shaft drive transmission. Track testing revealed the benefits of low maintenance & fast acceleration that a shaft drive transmission offers. Again at the requests of our customers, the RS4 Pro 4 will be supplied in self-assembly kit form with key items like the radio, ESC, body and tires left to the choice of the driver. The Pro 4 will use the highest quality materials & will have a high standard specification to make it a force at the highest level of competition.

Our team drivers will be racing the Pro 4 at all major electric touring car races around the world by the end of the year, ensuring factory support and continued development of the platform to keep up with the latest racing technology.

We have found a german version of this press release on the website of the Swiss HPI distributor: www.neidhartonline.com"
BOLISARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:16 PM   #2
Tech Master

Default Re: HPI R40 Nitro Pro car and new RS4 Pro 4

Quote:
Originally posted by BOLISARIO
The Nitro R40 is built around a belt drive transmission to prevent torque steer issues in this ever increasingly powerful class. A state of the art power clutch to suit SG shafted race engines and a racing two speed will be standard equipment. The Nitro R40 will be available in kit form; an engine, pipe, radio & body are not included so the owner can choose the best equipment for specific racing applications. High performance, a long list of standard specifications & competitive market price will make the R40 an exciting addition to the 1/10th scale nitro touring car class.
Hmmm. Belt drive in their top of the range racer. Thats a turn around from the SS. Like I said before in another post. Shaft drive aint the way to go and the manufactures all know it.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:28 PM   #3
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You guys hear that??? Can't you hear it coming already?!?...

......"Awwwww man, this new HPI R40 car is just a copy of a...<insert any given belt drive nitro car here>!!!!"

Oh, wait a minute...nobody has even seen it yet! Well, thats never stopped people before!!!

Seriously though, its good to see HPI getting serious about racing. Can't wait to see what they come up with.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:15 PM   #4
Tech Adept

.......gulp...........hope i didnt go wrong with the new mugen.............how many revolutionary things can they honestly do that havnt already gone into a car?
Nytrochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 01:25 PM   #5
Tech Chat Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
......"Awwwww man, this new HPI R40 car is just a copy of a...<insert any given belt drive nitro car here>!!!!"
Please man, let's not turn this into what happen in the ofna ld3 thread. Meaning leave the word copy, look alike etc away. I'm happy for hpi coming out with a new racing car.

Thanks for the info BOLISARIO.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:40 PM   #6
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Hmm...good to see HPI is back in the game. And about time too!

Remember the glory days when there was nothing but HPI cars on the track?
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:38 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: HPI R40 Nitro Pro car and new RS4 Pro 4

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
Hmmm. Belt drive in their top of the range racer. Thats a turn around from the SS. Like I said before in another post. Shaft drive aint the way to go and the manufactures all know it.
The Type SS was never billed by HPI as a top of the line racer model. It is advertised as a "street racer" but was never meant to compete with the Serpent/Yokomo/Mugen/Associated/etcetera cars. The shaft drive is to prevent the average R/C hobbyist from damaging belts from rocks, twigs, etc., which lowers the fun and increases the work for them. We all know (or should know) that the serious top of the line race cars with belt drive shouldn't even be touched by beginners and average R/C hobbyists.

Last edited by Frank McKinney; 02-06-2003 at 03:44 PM.
Frank McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:42 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: HPI R40 Nitro Pro car and new RS4 Pro 4

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank McKinney
The Type SS was never billed by HPI as a top of the line racer model. It is advertised as a "street racer" but was never meant to compete with the Serpent/Yokomo/Mugen/Associated/etcetera cars.
Modellor was refering to a debate which is going on on this forum which states that "belt cars are the way to go on a pro car to handle the power of the motors better"
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:46 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™
Default Re: Re: HPI R40 Nitro Pro car and new RS4 Pro 4

Quote:

NO wonder the TC3 nitro is such a loser in the racing world

I allready own a racer2 and SS that can finish at the front of the pack......I want to see HPI LEAD the pack....like my TC3 nitro does..

I hope HPI is using teh current cars on the market for a DRIVING comparison.....

I didn't buy the tc3 nitro because Barry Baker can win and drive with it...I bought it because I can.......

Don't just have the top drivers test it..put in the hands of your average club racers.....Let then run the car...then we'll see....

Last edited by fastharry™; 02-06-2003 at 03:57 PM.
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:47 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Understood, however the 12R SS engine that comes with the Type SS isn't an RB/Picco/Sirio/whatever engine. We bill it as a "1+ hp" engine and don't pretend that it can keep up with the 12-port rear exhaust 15mm carb opening 6-needle super modified johnnies It's basically an engine that should keep most "need for speed" types happy until they have an extra $200 bucks to burn for a faster engine.
Frank McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:56 PM   #11
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: HPI R40 Nitro Pro car and new RS4 Pro 4

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank McKinney
The Type SS was never billed by HPI as a top of the line racer model. It is advertised as a "street racer" but was never meant to compete with the Serpent/Yokomo/Mugen/Associated/etcetera cars. The shaft drive is to prevent the average R/C hobbyist from damaging belts from rocks, twigs, etc., which lowers the fun and increases the work for them. We all know (or should know) that the serious top of the line race cars with belt drive shouldn't even be touched by beginners and average R/C hobbyists.
Are you my foreign long lost brother?

AMGRacer is correct. You should read some of the debates regarding this topic. You will probably notice that I am a real strong believer in proving belts are better for on-road. Do you work for HPI or something?

Fast Harry - The NTC3 is quick (granted) but it only won the World Cup with a lot of help from others not making it to the finish with one problem or another. Give it a couple of years and it wont even be a contender. The only thing it wins in here is the scale rubber touring class. But in the outlaw class it doesnt hardly rate. lol
Old 02-06-2003, 04:17 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: HPI R40 Nitro Pro car and new RS4 Pro 4

Quote:
Are you my foreign long lost brother?

AMGRacer is correct. You should read some of the debates regarding this topic. You will probably notice that I am a real strong believer in proving belts are better for on-road. Do you work for HPI or something?

Fast Harry - The NTC3 is quick (granted) but it only won the World Cup with a lot of help from others not making it to the finish with one problem or another. Give it a couple of years and it wont even be a contender. The only thing it wins in here is the scale rubber touring class. But in the outlaw class it doesnt hardly rate. lol
Modellor:

We have a similar situation over here at my tracks where the NTC3 does very well in the pullstart and rubber classes but the foam classes are dominated by Mugens and to a lesser extent Kyoshos on anything other than a small club level.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 04:24 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

I'm not going turn this into a tc3 war....but alot of cars break...others get the advantage because they are in position to...the serpents broke..the tc3's were there to take teh win..they are all good cars.....

my point WAS that HPI has some VERY strong competition...

and the tc3 not being there in 2 years?....C'mon,even you know better than that...You don't think Associateds capable of refining the car?....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 04:29 PM   #14
Tech Master

Nice. Just what I like to see. Our foam class is mainly dominated by Serpents and a couple of Yokomos. But the Mugens are coming along now too.

What I would really like to see is this new HPI R40 being really competitive and beating all the other makes even if only at club level.

It would show all the people (myself included) that we shouldn't knock a brand that have stated they have not been interested in Pro Racing at 200mm level until now.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:36 PM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
I'm not going turn this into a tc3 war....but alot of cars break...others get the advantage because they are in position to...the serpents broke..the tc3's were there to take teh win..they are all good cars.....

my point WAS that HPI has some VERY strong competition...

and the tc3 not being there in 2 years?....C'mon,even you know better than that...You don't think Associateds capable of refining the car?....
I do know they are capable of refining the car. I just believe that manufacturers like Mugen and Serpent are capable of taking the boundaries a further step. The MTX3 is only the beginning of something that is going to change the direction of 200mm Pro Racing. The car is probably the best on the track to date (and this coming from an avid Yokomo/Serpent driver) and I know from experience that this car will evolve further over the next couple of years ans so will Serpent.

When Mugen first launched the Sting 1:8th car I got laughed at here because I stated they would dominate the 1:8th class in the near future. A lot of people were very red faced when it happened.