R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-18-2003, 05:06 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Default O.S Tr .12 nitro engine on Hpi RS4

BustaCrabRacing;

Wrong Forum, but I'll answer your question here anyways.

Both the Nitro 2 & 3 can have a rear exhaust engine installed. I had a Nitro-2 with one and have a friend with a Nitro-3 with one (Rear exhaust engine). There are several companies that make headers to do this and as long as it is a small block engine it will fit.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 05:12 PM   #62
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks popsracer

Hey thanks Popsracer for the info .

the other question is for the OS engine do i need different engine mounts ?
BustaCrabRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 01:00 PM   #63
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

You know.. when the R40 is released. Which I bet is sooner, rather then later, it will prolly will be a competitive car. They know what it takes, and after all, they have said it will be a belt design. I am taking a wait and see approach, if it is good I will buy it. Just to say to Serpent, Mugen, NTC3, Kyosho... owners... yeah I beat ya with an HPI.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 10:45 AM   #64
Tech Chat Moderator

For any engine besides a stock engine, u need the right flywheel and engine mounts. If your engine doesnt have a pullstart, u need a non-ps flywheel and mounts and vise versa. Also, it has to be a standard uncut threaded crank engine. It need to have a brass collet and the flywheel will go on to it. Check out my nrs4-2 pics and i have a rear exaust engine in it.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:21 PM   #65
Tech Elite

Default To put a O.S Tr .12 nitro engine in a Hpi RS4

Quote:
Originally posted by TheRagunCajun
For any engine besides a stock engine, u need the right flywheel and engine mounts. If your engine doesnt have a pullstart, u need a non-ps flywheel and mounts and vise versa. Also, it has to be a standard uncut threaded crank engine. It need to have a brass collet and the flywheel will go on to it. Check out my nrs4-2 pics and i have a rear exaust engine in it.
Sorry, but you are wrong except for the standard crank being needed.

The diameter of the flywheel has nothing to do with the starting method. It has to do with the height of the motor mounts. P/S motor mounts are taller to clear the pull start case. you can install a non-P/S engine on these mounts, with the same flywheel and just use a starter box to start the car (done it many times). Since ALL HPI cars come with P/S motor mounts, swaping engines ia a easy task. The ONLY problem that might arise is the earlier cars had a "notched" flywheel that matched the crankshaft, that did not use a collet. this has been changed on the newer cars.

Last edited by popsracer; 02-20-2003 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:30 PM   #66
Tech Elite

Arrow HPI R40 Nitro Pro car

If HPI can come out with a 1/10th car based on the Proceed design. I will most certainly buy one to campaign at our local onroad track. It will interesting on who gets their car out first Team Losi or HPI. I know for a fact that TL has been doing chassis platform evaluations at local CA tracks. Whether HPI is futher along in development, remains to be seen.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:53 PM   #67
Tech Master

I could imagine the path that HPI is taking for their new racing car (Mugen, Kyosho, Serpent). But wouldn't Team Losi's look a little like the new Schumacher RS12?

This is referring to the drivetrain (which would motivate the rest of the chassis design).
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 08:34 PM   #68
Tech Chat Moderator

Default pops

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer

The diameter of the flywheel has nothing to do with the starting method. It has to do with the height of the motor mounts. P/S motor mounts are taller to clear the pull start case. you can install a non-P/S engine on these mounts, with the same flywheel and just use a starter box to start the car (done it many times). Since ALL HPI cars come with P/S motor mounts, swaping engines ia a easy task. The ONLY problem that might arise is the earlier cars had a "notched" flywheel that matched the crankshaft, that did not use a collet. this has been changed on the newer cars.
I was right about everything i said except for the collet thing which i didnt know about....glad u told us. You can do what i said. But must you....no. Like u said, u can can use a non-ps flywheel with ps mounts. And like i said, u need to use a non-ps fly wheel with a non-ps engine. I say that because genaraly, non-ps engine mouns are lower. BTW, u can use a starter box with the stock fe15 engnie that comes on the nrs4-2.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:30 PM   #69
Tech Elite

Default non-ps fly wheel with a non-ps engine

For the HPI Nitro Cars;

1) You MUST use P/S motor mounts and Flywheel with an engine that is EQUIPPED with a Pull Starter. Some type of Header is needed also that will clear the Pull Start housing.

2) A NON-P/S engine may be mounted either way. With the P/S Flywheel and Mounts OR purchase NON-P/S Flywheel and Mounts which lowers the engine in the chassis.

The Motor Mounts and Flywheel MUST match each other. You CANNOT mix and match P/S with NON-P/S.

The Starter box doesn't care what it is starting as long as the starter wheel contacts the Flywheel.

I hope this clears up any confusion (unless I'm the one confused) NOT!
Old 02-20-2003, 11:45 PM   #70
Tech Master

Quote:
The Motor Mounts and Flywheel MUST match each other. You CANNOT mix and match P/S with NON-P/S.

I hate the guy who doesn't have enough money to buy (or know he's supposed to...) a non-pullstart flywheel when he has got the non-pullstart engine mounts. He is left with a flywheel that sticks out by 5 mm, and flames out because my finger touches it while he is trying to keep his badly tuned engine from flaming out as I marshal his car (i.e. wildly reving his motor)...

Pops, you could in run a car that had pull start mounts and a non-pullstart flywheel, but you could not start it with a starter box. I think you need to get on your hands and knees and start pulling that pull cord... tsk tsk, once you get a starter box, you ended up forgetting the little guy with a pull-starter... (wait a second, don't do that, I hated those days... I think many people could have developed the lobster claw thing from pull start engines.) f
Old 02-20-2003, 11:52 PM   #71
Tech Master

Oh yeah, the collet thing, Some OS motors have that funky (read retarded) collet thing built into the pilot shaft. It might be better than a normal engine shaft, but no one else is doing it so STOP...

(*breath in, then out*)

Check with other owners of the particular OS engine you wish to purchase, whether or not you will need to change the flywheel. If you are going to use an engine with out a pullstart, (and you get non-pullstart motor mounts) then you will have to get a new flywheel anyway.

Even with that funky collet thing built into the crank, normal collets should fit well over the crankshaft.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:34 AM   #72
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to NTC3Dvr
Default Re: To put a O.S Tr .12 nitro engine in a Hpi RS4

Quote:

POPsRacer I Would like to have some of what your Smoking....Where did You Find that Info? I have Built Many RS4/SNRS4 with everything From .12 To .21 Novarossi R-1 In them And Everytime I have Built One You Needed a Differant Flywheel AND Engine Mounts.Unless You Was Using A Pullstart Engine Thats Why there is Pullstart and Non-pullstart Flywheel Made as well as Differant Engine Mounts If you Use a Pullstart Flywheel On a NON-Pullstart Engine it Sits Below the Chassis By about 20mm So when it Duz Scrape the Bottom the Flywheel Inturn Kills the Engine Cuz it Sticks Out Below the Chassis Level. and you Can Not Put a SG stlye Shaft On a RS4 With Out about 100.00 In Extra Items And thats Crazy When You Can Buy a New Standard Crank For less then 40.00 Also If you Use a NON-Pull start Engine and Flywheel With Pullstart Mount Your Flywheel Is sticking about 35mm above the Chassis In turn Eating Up Your Starterbox Wheel So the Easy thing Would to Buy a Threaded(Crankshaft) and the Lowered Non-Pull start Mounts& Flywheel and Do it Right. And make it easy on your Self as well as save a few $$$$.
NTC3Dvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 10:44 AM   #73
Tech Elite

Default Couldn't be more clear

Im2lazy;

I think you need to RE-read my post. I don't think it could have been clearer.

NTC3Dvr;

I think you need to RE-read my post. I don't think it could have been clearer. You repeated EXACTLY what I said just in your own words.

As for the Smoking thing, turn on the fan so you can see the screen on your monitor better.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:01 AM   #74
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to NTC3Dvr
Default Re: To put a O.S Tr .12 nitro engine in a Hpi RS4

Quote:

So What your telling Me and Everyone else Is you Did not say this " The diameter of the flywheel has nothing to do with the starting method. It has to do with the height of the motor mounts. P/S motor mounts are taller to clear the pull start case. you can install a non-P/S engine on these mounts, with the same flywheel and just use a starter box to start the car " Now My Question Is If the Flywheel Is sitting Above Chassis about 35mm(non PS) How In the Hell Is the Starterbox Going to Reach the Flywheel and if the Flywheel is Sitting Below the Chassis(PS) the First rock you Hit it kills the Engine Because You said it dont matter that the Flywheel sticks below the Chassis 20mm???
and If you cant Stick A SG style Crankshaft Engine In a HPI why has it Been Done ? I agree its a little Costly to mount a SG shaft But it can Be Done with Production Parts from Most any hobby shop.
NTC3Dvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 11:20 AM   #75
Tech Elite

Default NTC3Dvr;

Quote:
The diameter of the flywheel has nothing to do with the starting method. It has to do with the height of the motor mounts.
As long as the Motor mounts MATCH the FLYWHEEL you are fine Obviously you MUST use P/S mounts and flywheel to install a P/S engine into the chassis, obviously. But if you take that EXACT same P/S engine, and REMOVE the Pull Start mechanism, why would you need to change the flywheel and motor mounts?
If you install a NON-Pull Start engine, with a P/S Flywheel and P/S motor mounts, please explain why this will not work in your mind, because I have an HPI car in my garage with this EXACT set-up. I also have a Super Nitro with a custom machined flywheel and motor mounts (I machined them myself) and it works just fine.

AND I really do not think anyone would be stupid enough to run the car if they mixed and match flywheels and mounts and the flywheel was too high or low in the chassis for the starter box. I guess I assumed the people reading my post would be able to use some common sense and figure out a few simple things on their own.
I've re-read my post several times and I think you guys are reading into them things that were not said.