R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-10-2003, 01:14 PM   #46
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to torchedlh

i remember when the "racer 2" came out.... and how far it is from a race car.... what makes you guys think that the R40 is going to be so vastly different?
torchedlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 01:28 PM   #47
Tech Master

Probably the fact that HPI have always been open in stating they were not interested in the Pro racing side of things until now. They have stated that this will be a pure bred racer.

Heres one for you. Never under-estimate a company as big as HPI. They have the resources to produce a real Pro car and they already proved that with the Proceed.

I honestly think that the new R40 will certainly be a fast car. Dont knock it until you have seen it on the track.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 02:07 PM   #48
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

HPI has always made it clear that it had no interest in the racing scene. And honestly, why should they? The "below race level" market has been very good to them. Plus, they look at all the money that companies like Associated, Yokomo, and Losi dump on huge factory teams, with their travel cost and salaries and all that and figure....who needs it.

The way I see it, they just want to see if they can really make a competitive race car. The thing is, most of us already know they can, and understand that they simply didn't want to. Their just like Tamiya. Once Tamiya decided to dedicate itself with a all out race car and a full sized factory team, they win a world championship. I think its the same with HPI. The ability to do it has always been there, but why bother when your making plenty of money doing other stuff.

So I expect their two new cars to be exactly what they claim them to be. Serious competition machines worthy of challenging anything any other company can produce.

The real question is, whether HPI is willing to spend the extra money to field a full sized factory team, just so they can hang a few titles behind the name of their new cars. Its up to them to decide whether getting a couple of titles, just to convince the non-believers, is worth flying 30-40 factory guys around the country or around the world 3-5 times a year.

Personally, I don't they have to prove anything to anyone. As long as their making their money, be it with pro level kits or just for fun kits,...who cares.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:34 PM   #49
Tech Elite

Default HPI R40 Nitro Pro car and new RS4 Pro 4

Guys;

I really think that HPI has finally woke up to the fact that there is a fairly large segment of club racers that they could be selling a REAL race worthy car to and the word of mouth advertising that it would generate could be worth more than any printed advertising. Look how much the bad publicity WOM got them on the Pro-3. I'm the only one who races one at our local track. (like it that way too)
I probably won't be buying a Pro-4 as I'm not a fan of shaft drive cars, but a Competitive Nitro belt car from HPI gets me interested as a second Nitro car.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 03:01 PM   #50
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
Its a bit early for all this without the "design" being released. HPI promised us a pro level car 2 years ago, but dumped it for many reasons.....

I can safely say now, that no matter how good it looks, I will not be owning one. And I know many racers here that will be the same.

Boomer..... what HPI car was solid? All I can remember from my racer 2 is replacing outdrives and 2speed parts, certainly wasnt a solid car.
I've had my Racer2 since '00. I replaced outdrives once, and the 2spd has a rebuild kit waiting for it, ONLY because I locked it as a single gear once, and lost the other parts.

Quote:
Originally posted by NTC3NUT
I'll tell you what I would really like to see, the nitro sedan that Losi has been rumored to be working on. Now that could really be interesting.
In Jan, They weren't even into the prototype changes. They were doing suspension work, but no proto.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 05:18 AM   #51
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: HPI R40 Nitro Pro car and new RS4 Pro 4

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
Shaft drive aint the way to go and the manufactures all know it.
Your joking right?
Number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 10:35 AM   #52
Tech Chat Moderator

Default Re: Re: Re: HPI R40 Nitro Pro car and new RS4 Pro 4

Quote:
Originally posted by Number 11
Your joking right?
Oh boy, here we go again.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:36 PM   #53
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: HPI R40 Nitro Pro car and new RS4 Pro 4

Quote:
Originally posted by TheRagunCajun
Oh boy, here we go again.

Nice one. But not this time. I have my views and other people have their views.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 12:55 AM   #54
Tech Apprentice

i found a pic of the upcoming pro 4. It's in the new extreme rc magazine. its in the bottom right corner. it says that atushi hara is testing hpi's prototype car. it had shaft drive and it yes.. purple i think changes will be made to that car becase in the race standings the hpi prototype was nowhere on the charts for top 10
rccraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 11:21 AM   #55
Tech Elite

Default HPI R40 Nitro Pro

Guys;

My information says that the new HPI Nitro car is still only an idea on paper and no actual prototypes have been built. Look for something similar in design to the Proceed, but in 1/10th scale if the car becomes a reality.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 11:50 AM   #56
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

well,thats great...so for 4 years we've been listening that it takes 2 years to come out with a PRO,and NOW,they're going to have a FRONT RUNNING car in less than 9 months...

this is shaping up to be a nightmare already.....

UHhhhh,would this be a good place to mention that the ASSOCIATED nitro TC3(with that "can't take torque shaft drive") is also teh winter nats champ?.....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 12:20 PM   #57
Tech Chat Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
well,thats great...so for 4 years we've been listening that it takes 2 years to come out with a PRO,and NOW,they're going to have a FRONT RUNNING car in less than 9 months...

this is shaping up to be a nightmare already.....

UHhhhh,would this be a good place to mention that the ASSOCIATED nitro TC3(with that "can't take torque shaft drive") is also teh winter nats champ?.....
No. We already know that it won the nats. Nuff said. And so what if it only takes 9 months for them to make a good race car. Maybe they know what they are doing. Besides, I doubt the general public knows about this car's R&D stuff. They might of had this car in the works for a longer time. This is about the new hpi racing car, not the ntc3 for gods sake. I know people will compare and critasize, but lets give this car we know NOTHING about a chance here.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:19 PM   #58
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Quote:
Originally posted by TheRagunCajun
No. We already know that it won the nats. Nuff said. And so what if it only takes 9 months for them to make a good race car. Maybe they know what they are doing. Besides, I doubt the general public knows about this car's R&D stuff. They might of had this car in the works for a longer time. This is about the new hpi racing car, not the ntc3 for gods sake. I know people will compare and critasize, but lets give this car we know NOTHING about a chance here.
It gets a chance from me!

waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting!
Old 02-17-2003, 07:54 PM   #59
Tech Adept

We shouldn't hold our breath guys, the current crop of nitro touring cars are too good to be improved further. I'm just glad HPI is willing to finish something they started...
vapourtrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 04:08 PM   #60
Tech Rookie

Replacement Engine for Hpi Rs4 Type SS

I have a Hpi RS4 and am looking to put a O.S Tr .12 nitro engine on and was wondering if it will fit ok or do i have to make many modifications ? The other thing is is that i have a side exhaust now and the O.S. is a rear exhaust . Is there a exhaust header that i can obtain to make it side exhaust running ?
BustaCrabRacing is offline   Reply With Quote