R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-06-2003, 06:24 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic

I guess that's kind of what I thought. I mean, if you guys have a country that's mostly this, or mostly that, you may not have the oppourtunity to see a particular car perform that often. The track differances also play into that. Almost all the tracks I race on where designed for 1/8 scale cars, and they are large and flowing. Your car has to be fast, really fast, or you will get run down. I feel so much better when we can all get along.
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 06:42 PM   #32
Tech Master

Me too

A large number of our 1:8th tracks disappeared over the last few years due to development of housing and the dreaded noise laws here. In 16 years we have lost around 10 tracks that where brilliant.

1:8th also died here during our big recession in the mid 90's but and now 200mm is the biggest class overall. But the 1:8th and 235mm is starting to grow again.

I am really wanting it back. Some real good racing memories in 1:8th.

One in particular was at a little Scottish track. I was leading the qualifier and lapping slower cars. In front of the race control was a hairpin and I was passing this guy. He really squeezed me onto the curb. I was running a BMT with solid rear axle so when I applied the throttle to exit the corner the back end stepped out and both our cars ended up in the race controllers box. . They actually black flagged me for that move.

But it was funny at the time and thats how the hobby should be.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 07:34 PM   #33
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

You know, I thought this was an HPI thread. . .why the TC3 bashing?

HPI has always made a SOLID car. I've always thought that once they put their minds to it and really made a RACE car it would kick butt!

They helped popularize this class in the US. . .big time. They've always made indestructable cars - now if they can combine their durability, inexpensiveness with a thorobred racecar. . .wow! Cool!

I'm excited to see a new electric car. I was never all that excited about the Pro3. I had wanted to go from my Pro2 to it, but it just wasn't really all "that". . .
Old 02-06-2003, 08:19 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Default HPI R40 Nitro Pro car

Guys;

Before we start bashing HPI, lets see what they are offering. I know ALOT of us started with HPI's and I still have my Super Nitro and it is very competitive even with 1/10 cars.

The Savage was a new and refreshing design departure from the norm. Maybe HPI will surprise everyone and have something really innovative in their new Nitro car. Even if not so different, it would be great for HPI to have a top notch Nitro car again.

Quote:
Remember the glory days when there was nothing but HPI cars on the track?
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 08:40 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i'm glad that hpi is getting serious about nitro racing.
I can't wait to own another hpi wich got me back in to
this hobby 5-6 years ago with the electric sport kit
Old 02-06-2003, 09:59 PM   #36
Tech Master

HPI always thinks of something weird, for good or bad, but we'll almost immediately know if it will be good or not. That is the way with all of HPI's cars, race bred or not (or so it seems to my eyes)...if only we could see it (or them if you like electric too)....
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 10:33 PM   #37
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by NTC3NUT
On a more serious note, what percentage, or maybe concentration, do you think the market holds in the UK vs. say the U.S., or Japan? I mean, how many guys show up to one of your club races, or a National event? Do you guys over seas get alot of amateurs, or is it mostly the pros that show? This is just to satisfy my own morbid curiosity.
Over here, NTC3s dominate. In a race event of about 40 to 50 people, about close to two thirds will be driving NTC3s. The trend started because the NTC3 was winning races partly due to the drivers themselves being good. Of course this created a following.

It's an easy car to drive for beginners because of the adjustable front and rear diffs. We have a few parking lot tracks and one or two high speed tracks. On small tight tracks, the diffs can be set loose for easy drive.

In the hands of a good driver, the NTC3 is potent.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:29 AM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Its a bit early for all this without the "design" being released. HPI promised us a pro level car 2 years ago, but dumped it for many reasons.....

I can safely say now, that no matter how good it looks, I will not be owning one. And I know many racers here that will be the same.

Boomer..... what HPI car was solid? All I can remember from my racer 2 is replacing outdrives and 2speed parts, certainly wasnt a solid car.
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:45 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Michael_T

I could of sweared this was the same description used to describe the Proceed when it came out
Michael_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 04:03 AM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If they design a car similar to the GT4, V one R, MTX, 705/Impulse I'd buy it in a heart beat. Parts are everywhere for a an HPI car and it being a Pro car is even more of a prize.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 06:09 AM   #41
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I could of sweared this was the same description used to describe the Proceed when it came out
Better watch it, 2 of these where in the top 10 at the recent Florida Nationals, right? I believe the #5 (maybe #6) finisher was our club president! Way to go Ted!
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 06:11 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Over here, NTC3s dominate. In a race event of about 40 to 50 people, about close to two thirds will be driving NTC3s. The trend started because the NTC3 was winning races partly due to the drivers themselves being good. Of course this created a following.

It's an easy car to drive for beginners because of the adjustable front and rear diffs. We have a few parking lot tracks and one or two high speed tracks. On small tight tracks, the diffs can be set loose for easy drive.

In the hands of a good driver, the NTC3 is potent.

where is "over here"?.....Thanks for the nice words,BTW...
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:39 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
Boomer..... what HPI car was solid? All I can remember from my racer 2 is replacing outdrives and 2speed parts, certainly wasnt a solid car.
Well, I, personally, had the elec Pro2 and it was the most solid car I've ever owned. I used it to get most of my hard crashes (hah) out of my system. (don't tell anyone I said that, they may fall over laughing at me)

I also know a lot of people who had the Nitro Pro2 (whatever its specific name was) and it stood up far far better than my GT4 - it seemed to take a HUGE amount of punishment before it would break.

Pops - I remember you and your little clan racing the Nitro HPI's - they took just about everything you could give them, right?
Old 02-07-2003, 08:42 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Default Boooooooomer!

Was nice to see at Rev the other day.

Yea, we really got our moneys worth out of those HPI Nitro-2's. I really learned alot from those cars. Gave alot of Mugens and Serpents a run for their money.
My 8 yr old Son is still racing one (Nitro-2), but a Reflex NT is currently being assembled to replace it. Gotta keep it in the Family.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 01:56 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Will be there again on Saturday. Cutting down my racing for a while - just too many things taking up time and I've started school again. . .

You liked our "silent" class?